What's new
What's new

Xometry-Who is doing it?

We did! Also took another 1 part job for $1400 that has a 26 day lead time [emoji23]

Xometry has been great. We have a single mill and lathe dedicated to xometry and it does very well.

I'd like to add a wire edm to the mix along with 3 color anodize tank line and black oxide. We pass on those jobs because the lead times kill it if we do that type of work for them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well crap, at this rate I'll never make it, because as9100d is taking all the work ;).

Regards.

Mike
If you keep the website open on a computer, it auto refreshes new jobs. Reply to every single job you see. If it looks too low, reject for a higher price. Typically we see you can raise it by $80-230 and it will be reposted fast so you can get it.

There is always enough money for single part jobs they post. Multi part jobs you have to watch and multi qty you have to watch.

Go get your first 5 done with single part and you can't go wrong.

Untitled.jpg

Just to keep some perspective, looks like I am doing about the same amount of work for them as AS9100D. While I am grateful it is available, I do have reservations about participating. The Xometry system can be very exploitative. I am terrified by the pricing of 3 axis mill and 2 axis lathe work. The lowest bidder system is pushing prices into the toilet on commodity work. I'm also deeply saddened that they have doubled-down on efforts to partner up with China, because even the scary low prices we are seeing on the board are too high.

I stay profitable by not doing commodity work, but I do worry about the implications. I also worry that Xometry is raising the bar for what can be considered "commodity", which is going to make it really hard to keep that competitive advantage.

To some extent the gig economy is our new reality. I will continue to participate, and continue to find a way to make it work. However, like I said early into the inquiry; I'm not excited about it.

Agree...I'm not excited about it especially here recently with their lower offers on jobs. But it's easy money for sure.

China can't compete with the USA. They have issues with quality and lead times compared to the USA vendors.

Xometry has an option to buy from China with a longer lead time. I remember the awkward phone conversation when they had to call all of the US suppliers and let them know. AFAIK they do not have different quality metrics in place for Chinese suppliers.

I searched to see if I posted when I got it. Not seeing it, perhaps that was on Reddit.

Yes, it was about a year ago. They told me it was in an effort to remain cost competitive that customers were now given an extended lead time option which would send the job to China at a significant discount.

I was told this directly by a representative at Xometry, who called solely for the purpose of letting me know. I believe they were proactively informing "partners" to avoid a shitstorm when word got out.

Makes sense, we have only been a vendor for 8 months so far. That's pretty weak.... Damn bean counters for sure.

Regardless it seems like there is decent work still, we do lots of as9100, iso, and itar required work and it pays well. Seems like xometry is the get us out of a bind resource for shops that are behind on parts

We installed a chemfilm line for Boeing this year and have used it for a bunch of xometry jobs.

Same, most of what I do for them is quick-turn 5 axis aerospace parts. However, even that stuff is slowly dropping in price as we outbid each other to the bottom.

I used to always get counter-offers accepted for ugly parts, but now the prices will be garbage for weeks on end. As many are noticing, you almost have to abuse the system by watching the board all day and attempting to snipe any jobs that have a little profit to squeeze out of them.

For what it's worth, I reject 90% of the jobs for price and they always accept and counter offer with my price.

Might try doing that.

There is always enough money for single part jobs they post.

I don’t know how you could think this is possible? Or your seeing WAAAAAYYYYYY different jobs than me. $150 job with $80 in material with a 2 day lead time? $300 job in Ti with specialty coating with 4 day lead time? $280 job for a material that none of my suppliers have heard of with a 5 day lead time that would require a really high end tooling and 5-axis to hit the badly engineered design? I don’t see many of these jobs hitting a $35/hr mark for a CNC shop (what several local companies expect to see from a CNC shop) not likely you could hit $50/hr off many unless you don’t charge for programming. I think it’s great you guys are hauling in a lot of profitable jobs, but I’m not seeing any so far that are not down right losses.

I don't even get the time to reject jobs. I literally haven't seen a single job on the board. Just the email notifications for 2 to 3 jobs per day, and those are gone by the time I open the email.

I feel like they drip feed a small number of jobs to a huge group of 'new' partners, and let them fight to the death to get low prices....

Pretty sure everyone is seeing different jobs (to some extent).

Like I said, the 3 axis mill and 2 axis lathe stuff is terrifyingly cheap. There is an army of garage machinists and hungry startups to compete with.

There is always enough money for single part jobs they post. Multi part jobs you have to watch and multi qty you have to watch.

You and I are seeing way different jobs. I have not yet seen a job that was straightforward. Some were crazy complicated, some required esoteric materials, many had very short deadlines. Some had all 3!

I'm going to start saving screenshots of what I'm seeing.

At this point I would be OK to take a couple jobs that didn't make me normal shop rate, but were straightforward, just to get started, but I have not seen a single one yet that didn't have complications.

Regards.

Mike

Pretty sure everyone is seeing different jobs (to some extent).

Like I said, the 3 axis mill and 2 axis lathe stuff is terrifyingly cheap. There is an army of garage machinists and hungry startups to compete with.

I haven't seen a single job yet that looked like this. Most of what I have seen was well out of reach for "garage machinists" unless they have 5-axis VMC's and live tooled Y-axis lathes.

Regards.

Mike

I feel like they drip feed a small number of jobs to a huge group of 'new' partners, and let them fight to the death to get low prices....

I actually think there's some truth to that. They know new partners are under the gun to get the first few jobs done, to gain access to the good jobs.

Regards.

Mike

For what it's worth, I reject 90% of the jobs for price and they always accept and counter offer with my price.

How does that work? Lets take that $3,000 Ti shaft with tapered ground ends. If you said, "F--k that, I need $4,200", do they (assuming they agree to $4,200) directly award you the job at $4,200 even though if they wait a little longer someone else might take it for $3,000? Or, do they repost the job at $4,200 for everyone to have a go?

Regards.

Mike

Back