What's new
What's new

Xometry???

SageGlad

Aluminum
Hey guys. Does anyone works with the Xometry? Share your experience, thoughts, maybe some who you know used to work with them?
I’m thinking to give it a try.
Let’s talk

This one was one that list. The software here is a PITA and I think it has bugs.

Xometry is fine IF you have a shortfall in regular work and need some filler to make your monthly/quarterly goals, or just want something to fiddle with while you wait for regular work to pick up. It's VERY difficult to make a living wage on Xometry work.

There are some jobs that I've done that paid out over shop rate, but they are exceedingly hard to get since 1,000 other shops are looking at the same time you are. Well-paying jobs get taken very quickly, like within 2-3 minutes of being offered. Unless you are sitting at the computer all day long watching your Job Board, you'll miss them.

Regards.

Mike

This one was one that list. The software here is a PITA and I think it has bugs.
Gotcha. I just actually wanted to make sense if it worth to try. I’m a new shop with 2 cnc machines in Florida. Working my way now, so looking for all available options. I would definitely work with the other guys (bigger shops or so) if I can offer something for them.

Xometry is fine IF you have a shortfall in regular work and need some filler to make your monthly/quarterly goals, or just want something to fiddle with while you wait for regular work to pick up. It's VERY difficult to make a living wage on Xometry work.

There are some jobs that I've done that paid out over shop rate, but they are exceedingly hard to get since 1,000 other shops are looking at the same time you are. Well-paying jobs get taken very quickly, like within 2-3 minutes of being offered. Unless you are sitting at the computer all day long watching your Job Board, you'll miss them.

Regards.

Mike
Cool! Thank you Mike, this is interesting and pretty clear. I requested a test part now, let’s see what happens.

Some people complain about the search function, maybe I got lucky. A long time ago I tried E-Machine Shop, I don't think they outsource anymore, they sucked. All those similar type places seem to end up the same, too many to list came and went, some charge fees, some just mark up what you get paid. The longer they exist the more people they churn through.
If you have a special niche you may make some money, if not it is probably fill work for beer money.

Some people complain about the search function, maybe I got lucky. A long time ago I tried E-Machine Shop, I don't think they outsource anymore, they sucked. All those similar type places seem to end up the same, too many to list came and went, some charge fees, some just mark up what you get paid. The longer they exist the more people they churn through.
If you have a special niche you may make some money, if not it is probably fill work for beer money.
I’m actually used to make a fittings for high pressure and high temperature applications back in time, a lot. Power plants boilers parts, screens etc. Trying to figure where to go, call, email, to have understanding who may need this parts here (I was working in the other country since 2011). So this is my special niche. Any thoughts on this?

Keep us posted, I have a customer who said he sent a test part and he never heard back. He quickly gave up after a few calls weren't returned.
They seem to be very communicative with us so far. Sent us a material pretty fast, but since I was actually experienced mostly in lathe work, I scrapped the test part doing the second side… and then I bought a couple of pieces of stock here in FL from local supplier to get it done and the material was trash. So we contacted them again and asked if they would sent it once again, and they did. Waiting for it to come to redo the test part.

I supposed you could try to find forums for guys that work on the equipment that you made parts for. That could be a start, they could at least drop names of suppliers.

Trying to figure that out now, but all this companies like a giants who doesn’t have an access to the people who you can actually talk to directly about anything. Thinking about a plan “how to” )))) I should be creative here and think differently. And forums it’s already a good idea, thank you!

I would avoid it. There have been a few sites like it and every single one has turned out the same. A race to the bottom.
They can close and won't pat for the orders you mean? Xometry advertising so much now, they dumping so huge budgets on ads it would be funny if they will fall.

They can close and won't pat for the orders you mean? Xometry advertising so much now, they dumping so huge budgets on ads it would be funny if they will fall.
No, Xometry is not going anywhere anytime soon. They have recruited a lot of shops, enough that they can always find a shop willing to take low-paying jobs.

Regards.

Mike

I have just past with my first part and got a feedback that part is good and now I can work with them. I am now at vacation 2 weeks and after that I am going in production with my lathe for them. I must do 5 jobs with at least grade 4 to become their trusted partner. It must be good because now that's my only way in business.

I have just past with my first part and got a feedback that part is good and now I can work with them. I am now at vacation 2 weeks and after that I am going in production with my lathe for them. I must do 5 jobs with at least grade 4 to become their trusted partner. It must be good because now that's my only way in business.
Cool! Keep us posted how is it going! Really curious if they actually really provide any decent jobs.

Lots of bad experiences from what I have read. Our story is the opposite, Xom has been very good to us and helped us grow significantly over the past few years. I started my shop in 2016, and with Xom in 2018. When I started doing work with Xom I had 1 employee and 2 machines in 1500 SF. I have 13 CNC's now and 10k square feet. Granted they aren't my only customer, but they have been a large one. My totals so far are below. The first year was much rougher, and much lower than the past 3. Last year was just over 1 mil in sales with Xom. It did take 1-1.5 years to finally get to where I understood the job board well, and got ultra premiere partner status. That really changed how profitable the work we did with them was. They can be tricky to work with on some things, but on other things they are seamless. They aren't my favorite customer, but they are in the top 5.

454 Jobs completed
$2,652,916.89Earned

Back