What's new
What's new

Yikes! HELP!?

That's about a craptastic design! I will continue to stay away from Haas.

The general diagnostic process is first smell and look for cooking. I noticed maybe one suspect area on your board, but could be dirt. If she has "the smell", that's not good. If not, I would be testing the gate drives and optos for each IGBT. If those test good, that is good news. Probably a lot of things to check but I might further suspect a linear regulator to feed ICs on the board.

With no status lights at all, that may point more to a logic power issue like the reg I mention above. I also like to apply the "wiggle test" to connectors while under power. This can point to a simple contact issue or broken solder joint.

The issue here is if you have no clue what you are looking at, there will be massive hours in this.
It's dirt. The amp does not smell burnt.
Yeah, I'm contacting places for repair or replace.

That's about a craptastic design! I will continue to stay away from Haas.

The general diagnostic process is first smell and look for cooking. I noticed maybe one suspect area on your board, but could be dirt. If she has "the smell", that's not good. If not, I would be testing the gate drives and optos for each IGBT. If those test good, that is good news. Probably a lot of things to check but I might further suspect a linear regulator to feed ICs on the board.

With no status lights at all, that may point more to a logic power issue like the reg I mention above. I also like to apply the "wiggle test" to connectors while under power. This can point to a simple contact issue or broken solder joint.

The issue here is if you have no clue what you are looking at, there will be massive hours in this.
Update. Spoke to https://www.eicrepair.com/. They had me disconnect all three axis amps from their motors and start machine.

Machine gave alarm 163 for Z (Current in Z servo motor beyond limit. Possibly caused by a stalled or overloaded motor. The servos are turned off. Can be caused by running the axis into a mechanical stop, a short in the motor, or a short of one motor lead to ground.),

162 for Y ((L) Current in Live Tooling servo motor beyond limit, (M) Current in Y servo motor beyond limit. Possibly caused by a stalled or overloaded motor. The servos are turned off. Can be caused by running the axis into a mechanical stop, a short in the motor, or a short of one motor lead to ground.)

161 for X (Current in X servo motor beyond limit. Possibly caused by a stalled or overloaded motor. The servos are turned off. Can be caused by running the axis into a mechanical stop, a short in the motor, or a short of one motor lead to ground.)

Mean anything other than that they are disconnected??

Update. Spoke to https://www.eicrepair.com/. They had me disconnect all three axis amps from their motors and start machine.

Machine gave alarm 163 for Z (Current in Z servo motor beyond limit. Possibly caused by a stalled or overloaded motor. The servos are turned off. Can be caused by running the axis into a mechanical stop, a short in the motor, or a short of one motor lead to ground.),

162 for Y ((L) Current in Live Tooling servo motor beyond limit, (M) Current in Y servo motor beyond limit. Possibly caused by a stalled or overloaded motor. The servos are turned off. Can be caused by running the axis into a mechanical stop, a short in the motor, or a short of one motor lead to ground.)

161 for X (Current in X servo motor beyond limit. Possibly caused by a stalled or overloaded motor. The servos are turned off. Can be caused by running the axis into a mechanical stop, a short in the motor, or a short of one motor lead to ground.)

Mean anything other than that they are disconnected??
Doesn't mean a thing. What you need to understand is an alarm and what a 'book' says it means, does NOT always indicate what is going on.

I really don't care that the amp thinks there is a current OL. that does not seem to be the case here. The control is receiving no feedback likely just defaults to that alarm state. Means nothing!

Doesn't mean a thing. What you need to understand is an alarm and what a 'book' says it means, does NOT always indicate what is going on.

I really don't care that the amp thinks there is a current OL. that does not seem to be the case here. The control is receiving no feedback likely just defaults to that alarm state. Means nothing!
I do understand that.

Further update:

I also disconnected the data cable form the Z amp to the main board, and yup, the 163 alarm showed up.

If the alarm is supposed to reflect the current state of the motor (see below) I am wondering how it is being generated, since the amp is disconnected from the board and the motor is disconnected from the amp. One would think that there would be some kind of alarm that essentially says, "Woah, where is your amplifier?"

Alarm: 163 Z AXIS DRIVE FAULT
Current in Z servo motor beyond limit. Possibly caused by a stalled or overloaded motor. The servos are turned off. Can be caused by running the axis into a mechanical stop, a short in the motor, or a short of one motor lead to ground.

Reminder: This was the first alarm that showed up. It has since disappeared.
Alarm: 105 Z SERVO ERROR TOO LARGE
Load on Z-axis Servomotor has exceeded parameter 37 Z-axis Max Error. Servos are turned off and you must push RESET to clear the alarm and turn on the servos. Dull cutting tools or an incorrect program is exceeding the Max Load for this axis. Vertical mill: Servo brake may not be disengaging. 24VDC is needed to release brake. Power for servo brake is supplied from Trans/Brake PCB P5/P9, or on I/O PCB P78/P79 when servos are powered on. Verify power to AMP +/- 12 325VDC Buss.

Back