What's new
What's new

Z73, S52 alarm code not turning off on Mitsubishi M70 control after resetting

m1_machine

Plastic
My Hardinge V1000 VMC has a M70 Mitsubishi 4-axis control. I got a low battery warning for the A-axis drive and by the time I got a battery the machine lost absolute position settings. The battery in the control system was still good. After resetting the absolute position, (xyza)the setting was saved (cycled power) and when restarted everything worked but I got still had the S52 and Z73 codes for xyz although the a-axis code went away with the battery replacement. The system does not have batteries in xyz drives but it looks like the control is looking for a battery. Furthermore, the next day when I started the machine the xyz positions were lost and I had to reset absolute position again. Now each day the control looses the setting after (I guessing) the internal capacitor looses its charge. I can't understand why the control is not recognizing that the system never had a battery for the xyz drives and why the control is not keeping the settings. Had help from service tech from machine reseller but he can't understand the problem either. Drives give code 9F on xyz.

What are the full contents of the S52 alarm? S52 is just the class of alarm and there should be other values on that line that identify the specific S52 alarm problem.

Also what drives do you have? IIRC 9F on a drive means low battery. Some builders use a separate battery box and run the battery power to the drives via a cable which chains from one drive to the next. Are you sure your machine is not set up that way?

Z-Axis Drive: MDS-D-V1-160 (drive does not have battery)
X,Y-Axis Drives MDS-D-V2-8080 (drive does not have battery)
A-Axis Drive MDS-D-V!-80 (drive does have battery)
Drive Controllers:
MDS-D-CV-300 & MDS-D-SP-320 (no battery in either component)

Attachments

• Drive 2.jpg
    Drive 2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 28
  • NC messages.jpg
    NC messages.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Drive 3.jpg
    Drive 3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 23
  • M70 Control ID.jpg
    M70 Control ID.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 21
In your picture showing the drives you can see the connection to a remote battery. At the top of the drive, there are cables/connections labeled BTA and BTB. Those carry the battery power to backup those drives. One cable should jump from one drive to the next and one cable will go to the remote battery.

(I'm not at the machine as of this writing) The wires connecting the drives have never been touched or moved. There was never a battery in the x,y,z drives. No wire from the "A" drive (terminals above the battery) to the other drives. As far as I know the machine was ordered as 3-axis and the 4-axis was added. I will be back in the shop this week and will have a closer look at the cables. Just wondering what would happen if I add a battery to the other drives. On another note, I never checked the voltage of the battery I replaced(volt meter was dead) and I just replaced the battery. I did get a new voltmeter and checked the new battery after the fault codes never went away. So, as the control system is in control of messaging, I'm now starting to wonder if the control is going bad. Maybe the old battery was good and I was getting a defective message.

Dude, just find the remote battery and replace. Mitsu offered two types of remote battery option for their drives. One is a battery box with user replaceable D cells and the other is a housed PCB with lithium primary cells soldered to it. Also the builder can provide their own backup battery system. I have seen one setup that used a small battery like a small motorcycle might use.

The X,Y,Z drives have a battery backup. It's just not attached to the drives, it is remote. The A axis being added later explains why it was not connected to the remote battery. The installer probably did not have the jumper cable to chain it to the rest of the drives so just used the standalone battery.

I don't get it, you post here asking for help and then argue with someone trying to help???????

Great , found it! Has 4 Lithium batteries.

Thanks
I don't get it, you post here asking for help and then argue with someone trying to help???????
not trying to argue just didn't know where the remote battery was. I was looking for a battery and it was in a metal enclosure...just trying to find it was the problem. Again Thanks.

Back