New, Innovative Norton Grinding Technology and Automation Solutions To be Showcased at IMTS
Worcester, MA – Saint-Gobain Abrasives, one of the world’s largest abrasives manufacturers, announced that at IMTS Booth #237042 located in the Finishing/ Machining Pavilion, North Hall in McCormick Place, Chicago IL from Sept 12- 17, 2022, it will be highlighting a wide range of high performance, innovative production grinding wheels and technology. To be shown for the first time at a major event, new innovative Norton Quantum® Prime Grinding Wheels feature new, proprietary nano-crystalline ceramic grain which offers unprecedented productivity gains across a wide range of applications. The new Quantum Prime grain delivers exceptionally high grinding efficiency and part quality, as well as significantly longer wheel life than traditional ceramic grains. Also, new high performance Norton IDeal-Prime Internal Diameter Grinding Wheels for precision applications featuring the Quantum Prime nano-crystalline ceramic grain will be showcased. The combination of the micro-fracture properties of the new ceramic grain from Saint-Gobain Abrasives and the retention capability of the advanced bond, ensures long wheel life, excellent grinding efficiency, and consistent part quality with superior surface finishes which results in cost savings of 30% and more.
Also to be highlighted, is an all-new Abrasive Process Solutions (APS) Program which provides custom grinding expertise by helping customers determine the most optimal grinding or finishing solutions for the application at hand, ranging from simple to complex, off-hand or automated, and for metal fabrication, production grinding and virtually any abrasives operation. The APS Program draws upon the vast knowledge of the Norton team along with access to 30 different machines, and a new state-of-the-art APS Robotic Automation Cell, which is at the core of the new APS Program located at the Higgins Grinding Technology Center in Northborough, Massachusetts (U.S.A.). The APS team provides abrasive process development, optimization, automation and in-house testing. APS services encompass the testing and optimization of new abrasives, improving quality and/ or throughput, and exploring entirely new and customized processes.
Additional key Norton and Norton Winter grinding technologies to be showcased at IMTS include:
- New Paradigm® Plus “Next Generation” Diamond Wheels will be introduced at IMTS. The wheels feature new premium grain technology that complements a brittle metal bond to deliver even higher grinding performance on carbide round tools and periphery grinding on carbide and cermet inserts. This technology, together with an advanced new lightweight core, produces lower specific cutting energy with a 25% to 50% higher MRR, and has significantly improved wheel life when compared with current Paradigm wheels. Also, for round tools and inserts, new G-Force™ Plus Next Generation Wheels will be debuted at IMTS, featuring premium grain technology with an improved hybrid bond technology providing significant improvement in MRR and wheel life when compared with current G-Force wheels.
- Also debuting are new Next Generation NORaX® N889 Micro-Structured Abrasive Belts, featuring a precise, flexible design for producing consistent, fine part finishes for a range of industry applications such as medical, aerospace, automotive, marine, metal fabrication and general metalworking. The new belts have up to 30% better performance compared with other belts in their class.
- New TQ and TQX shaped ceramic abrasive grains which offer the newest and longest-shaped ceramic grains in the industry, optimized to achieve the highest MRR and coolest cut will be featured.
- For the high performance external grinding of cam and crankshafts and internal grinding applications in automotive and bearing industries, Vitron7™ cBN Grinding Wheels featuring a high-precision vitrified bond will be highlighted at the show.
- Xtrimium™ range of gear grinding solutions designed for high performance gear grinding in extreme, tight tolerance environments will be featured. The portfolio of gear grinding products is specifically designed by category to provide higher profile accuracy, supreme form holding and burn-free grinding in worm, profile, and bevel applications. Highlighting the range is an innovative dual-worm wheel design that enables two operations in one grinding wheel, substantially saving time and cost.
For more information, visit:
ABOUT SAINT-GOBAIN ABRASIVES
Saint-Gobain Abrasives offers powerful, precise, user-friendly solutions which enable customers to cut, shape and finish all materials in the most complex and challenging applications. By working closely with end-users and grinding expert partners, Saint-Gobain Abrasives designs and provides customized solutions to secure the best option for performance, cost and safety. Leveraging its global manufacturing presence, Saint-Gobain Abrasives serves its customers locally through its structured sales operations in over 27 countries, employing over 10,000 people.