What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi fx10 and fx20

htrd6935

Aluminum
Hi I am fairly new to edm machining only been setting up and running the two machines for about 4 months. My question is sometimes the machines have a quirk and will not burn a out a detail. We do metal stamping so most of our work is punches and die sections. What happens is the machine will thread the wire get ready to start burning then it will go into like a dry run mode and not burn the detail. before I have had to move the machine back to zero reset the program go into machining data page turn on dry run and run the machine back thru what it has already burned. then stop before the detail it did not burn and turn off dry run and start over. Is there any way to just back up in the program and start right from where I am at. Also we have these Machines in a office just big enough for the machines and the chillers are also located in the same room so when both machines are working it is like working in a sauna. AT first the chillers were located outside the room but the service tech said they needed to be in the same room. I am just starting out in the edm machining field so all help will be greatly appreciated Thanks Rodney Cantrell

Hi I am fairly new to edm machining only been setting up and running the two machines for about 4 months. My question is sometimes the machines have a quirk and will not burn a out a detail. We do metal stamping so most of our work is punches and die sections. What happens is the machine will thread the wire get ready to start burning then it will go into like a dry run mode and not burn the detail. before I have had to move the machine back to zero reset the program go into machining data page turn on dry run and run the machine back thru what it has already burned. then stop before the detail it did not burn and turn off dry run and start over. Is there any way to just back up in the program and start right from where I am at. Also we have these Machines in a office just big enough for the machines and the chillers are also located in the same room so when both machines are working it is like working in a sauna. AT first the chillers were located outside the room but the service tech said they needed to be in the same room. I am just starting out in the edm machining field so all help will be greatly appreciated Thanks Rodney Cantrell

First- get a different service tech.

Sounds like you have a ground problem. When you say that it quits cutting do you mean that it breaks the wire? Or does it stop sparking and then continue to feed into the work?

Mitz Fx 10/20

I have to agree with harrytm, the service tech who installed our last Mitz (FA10S) said the chiller puts out close to 50,000 btus. 2X plus the heat from the pump motors, you could heat a small shop with 2 machines. My chillers have 20" round duct over the air discharge up through the ceiling, and my AC unit still runs 12 months/ year.

AS for the cutting, Check the ground Cables and make sure you have "Adaptive control" On.
I'm told ground cables go bad. Never happened to me yet, but thats what I hear.

Good Luck,
Dave

Passive chillers

My chillers have 20" round duct over the air discharge up through the ceiling, and my AC unit still runs 12 months/ year.

I can't advise htrd6935 on his machine problem, but to save on his AC bills, Wired4life should make his chillers passive. That is, they should have no influence on the EDM room.

Exhausting chillers out of the room is good, but is only part of the solution - the chiller intakes should come from outside the room also.

You already know how much hot air a chiller can move. Well, before that air got hot, it was cool, expensive air-conditioned air that was sucked out of the EDM room, through the chillers and pumped outside. With multiple machines, I'd bet that your chiller exhaust is far outpacing the input of your AC input, resulting in negative air pressure in the EDM room. Your AC unit should be providing positive pressure, that is, when you open the door, cool air should escape, preventing drawing in hot air. Making the dielectric system passive in the room should allow for positive air pressure. Right now, your AC unit is fighting a losing battle with your chillers and the smaller the room, the worse this condition will be.

Hope this helps,

Bud Guitrau

Mits Fx 10 and 20

Thanks for the Help. I am in the Process of constructing duct work for the chillers. I will check and clean the ground cables. But I dont think I worded my question Right about what I am wanting to do. What happens to the machines is they will burn out several details on a die section then lets say it gets thru burning a detail cuts the wire and moves over to another detail and gets ready to thread the wire and continue burning. What happens is the machine will think it threaded the wire and will show on the screen that it burned the detail. But it did not. What I am wanting to do is figure out a way to back up in the program and burn the detail it skipped. What I have to do now is move the machine manually back to zero and reset the program , Turn on dry run and dry run the machine until it gets back to the detail it did not burn. Then turn off dry run and hit start and it will continue on burning . this little quirk only happens very little but when it does its time consuming. Is there a way to go back and forth in a program and start and stop with out having to completely dry run the program to where it stopped. Please have patience with me I am trying my best to word my questions so you guys can understand them. Also I appreciate all the help I have been getting. I have Been In the Machining industry for 30 years and most of my experience is in screw machines old warner and swasey's , Brown&sharpes and at my last job I programmed,set up and ran okuma Howa cnc turning centers for about 4 years. I have Been at my current job for a year and have been learning the edms for about 4 to 5 months. so its a little different from turning but i am eager to learn and love this forum. Thanks again for all the help Rodney Cantrell

Have you checked to be sure there is no broken wire pieces in the clear plastic block back at the wire chopper? There is a sensor there that detects that the wire has threaded. I frequently get small pieces stuck inside that plastic block and the machine is confused thinking it was threaded. Never had the machine to follow the program without burning though.

There is a way to search for a spot in the code and start the burning there. I have not been successful using the feature but didn't spend much time with it.

Please post what you discover.

Go to the AWF screen and turn off the AWF SKIP. Then if it fails to thread it will stop there untill you can clear it if necessary or thread it and keep going.

Bill

This is my very first post.
I was the "back-up" guy for our 2 Mits Fx10s a couple of years ago. You can restart at any location. Check & take note: Program number [Lxxx], rotation, line you are currently on [Nxxx]. Go to Program Edit, find the M20 [thread] before desired location & take note of that number [Nxxx]. Work Pc Set Up screen: you can use Position Select to send machine back to start location. Monitor Screen: check rotation, enter program number [Lxxx], and the desired line number [Nxxx] to restart program. It will restart at that location. I hope this is helpful, the Mits are no longer here so I can't look at them to review.

This same thing happened to me. Mine was a simple fix. On the AWF screen it was set to cut off instead of uncut or just plain off. so it was rapiding to were the tab should be. It troubled me for along while till I figured out what I had done. I hope your fix ix as simple

Steve

Not to defend the service tech but...
IF the temperature of the chiller is not able to be changed (many aren't) then the chiller should be in the same room. Bud is correct, duct the incoming air to the chiller as well as the exhaust outside of the room. Use flexible ducting so you have some possibility of movement of the unit. This is the best solution.

The chiller is designed to keep the ambient temperature of the machine and the water at the same temperature.

Some machines have thermistors on the machine to monitor the machine temp and the wires are generally pretty short which would not allow moving the chiller too far from the machine (ie the other side of a wall), changing the length of the wires is not an option either as this changes the accuracy of the thermistor. Other chillers can adjust the temperature plus or minus a few degrees but you need to monitor the machine temperature and the water temperature - a simple indoor/outdoor thermometer should do the trick.

Can't help much on a mitz but I think BillDe is on to your first issue... The machines I am familiar with will only try to thread a certain number of times and then move to the next cavity unless you disable the function. Magmax may have your other answer as to starting at a specific point in the program. As long as all the necessary code is there. If you are using sub programs for the various locations then you could possibly just "block skip" over the sub program calls for the cavities already machined. If a Mitz has this capability.

Welcome to the world of EDM !!!! :)

Greg

fx10 and fx20

I just wanted to thank you guys for all of your help and I have tried everything yall told me to but the darn thing still has its little quirks. The other night I was removing a slug and well when I have to do that I go to manual then raise the head high enough to remove the slug,turn off manual mode then hit wire feed and start I do this twice and the head will return to set zero and then I hit fluid on, wire feed,Start and then machining. Well When I hit the wire feed and then the start button the head for some reason went all the way up as far as it could go then it paused a minute and then came back down to set zero and went to working properly. Mind you now I am new to this and the machines have been thru several other operators before me so There is really no telling what these machines have gone thru over the years. But I am not one to easily give up on trying to figure out problems so I will probly be asking more questions but i will search the board before I ask because Most of the time someone has already asked the question I want to ask and got a good answer Thanks again and I love this forum Rodney Cantrell

Last edited:
Z return

The reason the z axis returned to home (the uppermost position) is that in the AWF screen the z protect is checked, not a big deal but it will do this on every wire feed. lots of wasted time!
Good luck, Slugo.

To start again in middle of program from same spot

What I do is add "N" block before the start of each hole per say. It would start at "N10" then after the M21, I insert the next N20 then an end of block(;). This way I can always start at the beginning of each hole should I have problems by going to the MONITOR screen and putting in the program number followed by the N# I want to go to. Then if it is a big hole and I want to speed through some of the cutting already done you can turn off adaptive control and push start and it will not be cutting but enable you to move forward quickly to the desired point. Then shortly before you want it to start cutting simply stop it, then turn adaptive back on and hit start.:):D

Back