What's new
What's new

South Bend Paint Color: Update

bradjacob

Titanium
My obsession with the "South Bend" color continues....

Over the summer, I got a lot of comments and PM's with questions on my "South Bend Paint Color" thread when I restored my drill press. I brought my heavy-10 tailstock wrench into Sherwin Williams and had them mix up a quart by eye. I honestly think they 99.99% nailed it...

So, my original plan was to take the unused portion of my paint back to Sherwin, and have them add some green (and) black to it. Then, once it was dialed in, I'd paint a piece of paper and have them scan THAT color - since the original formula was modified.

Around the time I got my drill press paint mixed, I bought an N.O.S. clutch-knob (from Ted), that had brand new paint. It was almost an exact match for my drill press paint, but with a slightly greener hue - (and I mean SLIGHTLY).

Last night, my friend (and fellow PM-er) Bryan dropped by with a follower rest that also had perfect paint. It too was an almost dead match - only it had a more of a light-greenish-blue hue.

We then compared the NOS clutch-knob to the follower-rest, to my tailstock wrench and then to my drill press. We liked the NOS clutch-knob's paint the best. It seemed to be the perfect recipe of gray & green - real "South Bend-ish" if you know what I mean. So this will be my donor part for scanning.

Now, being that so many people have inquired about it and some are even waiting for me to get the paint mixed, I've taken a series of pictures in an attempt to show the color in as many "lights" as possible. I've even have next to my other South Bends for comparison sake. Once I get this matched and mixed, I'll prompt post the final formula.

Hope this helps you all ;)

*Note - you'll notice that these parts look sometimes greener and sometimes grayer in different amounts of light... and the first two pictures are probably the best representation of its true look - (even though they're a bit dark and rich). The ones against my drill press appear faded and more gray. Again, the effects of different levels of light.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.jpg
    IMG_4304.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,898
  • IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,554
  • IMG_4307.jpg
    IMG_4307.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,147
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,954
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,234
Paint can age and light will fade it. So I'd say you are "close enough for Gov't work" :)

Walt

PS - I took that formula you had for "Paula's SB" and painted my old Delta DP with it. I must say, it is the most colorful Drill Press I have right now ;)

Paint can age and light will fade it. So I'd say you are "close enough for Gov't work" :)

Walt

PS - I took that formula you had for "Paula's SB" and painted my old Delta DP with it. I must say, it is the most colorful Drill Press I have right now ;)

Being that I never used it, I dumped in some dark gray to take it down a few notches and it's all ready for a Clausing mill restoration (in Jan). Color looks great, still retains the character of that greenish, gray - but it's not so bright and "plugged in".

Brad - you are definitely obsessed :)

What era is that color you are chasing. I have a 1939 SB that appears to be bluish gray - mostly. One of the covers is a green - probably a PO modification. I imagine over the years SB had a wide range of colors they used? I considering just keeping it simple and using something completely non south bend - Delta Grey with black accents.

Brad - you are definitely obsessed :)

What era is that color you are chasing. I have a 1939 SB that appears to be bluish gray - mostly. One of the covers is a green - probably a PO modification. I imagine over the years SB had a wide range of colors they used? I considering just keeping it simple and using something completely non south bend - Delta Grey with black accents.

Obsession is definitely figurative. I just want to be as correct as possible in my restorations. And you're right - they definitely used a variety of paints over the years - and I figured that out the other day, when I was comparing the various South Bend parts. They're all in the same "family". It was just a matter of picking the one I liked the best.

Just to throw a wrench in this. You do realize that most all machine companies would let you order any color you wanted. I have worked for several companies over the years that specified a particular color on every machine they ordered wether it was used in the machine shop or on the production floor. One shop I worked in all the machines were a light blue, another shop I worked at used a light grey similar to what Harig used in later years on there grinders. I know of one company that all the machines were greyish green, leaning way more to the green side than grey. Paint them what you want and forget about it, correct is in the eye of the beholder since there were so many choices over the years including your own.

Just to throw a wrench in this. You do realize that most all machine companies would let you order any color you wanted. I have worked for several companies over the years that specified a particular color on every machine they ordered wether it was used in the machine shop or on the production floor. One shop I worked in all the machines were a light blue, another shop I worked at used a light grey similar to what Harig used in later years on there grinders. I know of one company that all the machines were greyish green, leaning way more to the green side than grey. Paint them what you want and forget about it, correct is in the eye of the beholder since there were so many choices over the years including your own.

From my post:

"It seemed to be the perfect recipe of gray & green - real "South Bend-ish" if you know what I mean. So this will be my donor part for scanning."

SB used many colors over the years - and trying to find "the one" can never happen. I'm just matching a particular shade they used on a part that I have. And after examining a few SB parts, I found the one that I personally like the best. To me it looks like South Bend (whatever that actually means - LOL).

"Obsession is intense focus in disguise..."

Methinks it "neat" that you are focusing in such a way...

After all, thinking is the best way to travel!

Your work and efforts are exquisite...the outcomes are obvious!

Joe :cheers:

Finally got around to getting the clutch-knob scanned. I've attached the formula and a couple pictures for comparison. The lighting in my shop makes it look a TOUCH darker and I mean, just a touch... But with the naked eye, they're pretty spot on.

You can see a slight difference - being that I've painted the clutch-knob's (CENTER ROUND DOWEL PIN) to compare against it's original color. Really, nice... I believe this ends my search for the "perfect" South Bend color.

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 3,225
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3,423
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 5,678

I heartily agree. I worked for a major machine tool manufacturer for 38 years and in various positions, from assembly, paint, final inspection, customer service, sales, etc. We had a standard "Machine Tool Grey", (which varied a bit from lot to lot, year to year and vendor to vendor). We were more concerned with meeting on-time delivery and machine accuracy. I don't ever recall any of our final inspectors questioning a machine's readiness because the paint was a bit off of the "proper" shade. If he had, he would've been told to ignore it in short order!

Some of our customers specified a certain color and some even went so far as to supply the paint they wanted their machines painted.

Very nice job Brad! All kidding aside, it really takes alot of dedication and perseverance to stay the course on something like this. Especially with the looks and comments you'll get from the folks doing the work for you (paint mixers) and the people standing by spectating.

Lots of us who haven't begun the repainting process yet thank you.

Whether it's close or not his search and will to find the "correct" color be it the right one or not is to be commended.

After all he could have just painted it that funky safety yellow or bright purple metallic or something easy.:crazy:

Thanks Brad.

Very nice job Brad! All kidding aside, it really takes alot of dedication and perseverance to stay the course on something like this. Especially with the looks and comments you'll get from the folks doing the work for you (paint mixers) and the people standing by spectating.

Lots of us who haven't begun the repainting process yet thank you.

Whether it's close or not his search and will to find the "correct" color be it the right one or not is to be commended.

After all he could have just painted it that funky safety yellow or bright purple metallic or something easy.:crazy:

Thanks Brad.

Thank you very much.

I know a lot of people often ask about the colors while restoring their machines and that its a reoccurring topic. That's the beauty of the internet - sharing information with others.

I hope it helps ;)

Hey Brad - on my monitor your color looks very green - like an olive green. Is that how it appears when you are standing in front of it without a digital interface? The "Rick " version of SB's color is a much lighter appearing greenish hue. I'll see if i can get a picture for comparison.

Rick

Hey Brad - on my monitor your color looks very green - like an olive green. Is that how it appears when you are standing in front of it without a digital interface? The "Rick " version of SB's color is a much lighter appearing greenish hue. I'll see if i can get a picture for comparison.

Rick

Rick - yeah, it's kinda of olive-ish. BUT - I painted a smaleer casting already and when placed next to my drill press, tail-stock wrench (and) clutch-knob, it's pretty much a dead match. That's the phenomenon that happens when you look at a small color swatch - your eyes notice all the components that make up the hue. When painted on a large machine, it looks much less "green" and more gray. Total, 100% South-Bend looking. I'm really excited to load up my sprayer and get busy ;)

Just want to take this opportunity before Christmas to thank Brad.

Went by the Sherwin_Williams store today in between X-mas shopping and had my little print of the color mix in hand. Handed it to the guy, and said can you make something outta this??

Yep. Sure can you wanna quart??

Of course.

Presto! mixed paint. Got home and dabbed a few places on my lathe, and left it to dry. Came back... dang near disappeared. Perfect bullseye match to a 1966 southbend heavy 10.

Nice job Brad, yhank-you for your diligence and sharing that with us. Like falling out of a truck it was so easy. I'm sure you consumed more Advil over that deal than I ever did.

Thanks man!

Just want to take this opportunity before Christmas to thank Brad.

Went by the Sherwin_Williams store today in between X-mas shopping and had my little print of the color mix in hand. Handed it to the guy, and said can you make something outta this??

Yep. Sure can you wanna quart??

Of course.

Presto! mixed paint. Got home and dabbed a few places on my lathe, and left it to dry. Came back... dang near disappeared. Perfect bullseye match to a 1966 southbend heavy 10.

Nice job Brad, yhank-you for your diligence and sharing that with us. Like falling out of a truck it was so easy. I'm sure you consumed more Advil over that deal than I ever did.

Thanks man!

You're welcome! ;)

I had a quart of this mixed. Color is pretty good, I like it. I compared it to several different South Bend parts I have with original paint (some NOS) and I'd say its about as close as I could get do to variations thru the years.

I am wondering what you're using to apply it? My first attempt left me disappointed. I had quite a few brush marks. I've since purchased a brand new Purdy natural bristle brush and that seems to have helped. Purdy are the only brushes I buy other than those cheapo foam brushes I buy for touch up work.

I am wondering what you're using to apply it? My first attempt left me disappointed. I had quite a few brush marks. I've since purchased a brand new Purdy natural bristle brush and that seems to have helped. Purdy are the only brushes I buy other than those cheapo foam brushes I buy for touch up work.

Mike - I JUST finished the painting phase. I made a video update describing a lot of the details, as well as brand and model of brushes. You'll be surprised, I can almost guarantee...

South Bend 9a Restoration Part 1 - YouTube

Basically, the smaller the brush, the better. Small brushes don't dry out by holding a lot of paint. And I can attest that often, the paint looks thick and uneven, but come the next day, it shrinks down and looks like it was sprayed. I'm always impressed by that...

Nice 'Tube' video. Brian Williams look out! That was some smooth dialog. You might get a guest spot on 30 Rock. However, the camera motion was too much. Everything kept moving so much it was like playing Doom or Doom II. Almost puked from spatial disorientation!
Regards,
John

Nice video. My new brush works much better by the way, its a 1" so its not huge except when comparing it to what you're using. I think I'll pick up an artist brush and try that too. For the brushed parts how many coats are you putting on?

Back