What's new
What's new

In China, Breathing Becomes a Childhood Risk

dead_nuts

Aluminum
"Levels of deadly pollutants up to 40 times the recommended exposure limit in Beijing and other cities have struck fear into parents and led them to take steps that are radically altering the nature of urban life for their children."

“I hope in the future we’ll move to a foreign country,” Ms. Zhang, a lawyer, said as her ailing son, Wu Xiaotian, played on a mat in their apartment, near a new air purifier. “Otherwise we’ll choke to death.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/world/asia/pollution-is-radically-changing-childhood-in-chinas-cities.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&

Take a plane trip to Beijing. As soon as the plane lands and the door is opened it smells as if you are
in the middle of a forest fire.

If we take cities with over 10 a million population (even over 5 million) I wonder which are the ones with the cleanest air and which have most polution?

Gordon

You should not fault the Chinese for making so much smoke. They have too many people so getting rid of a few to make more bucks for building a stronger military is good for the country. And don’t criticize them for 12 hour school days as that allows both parents to work to beat on manufacturing costs. POS lathes, toys made with lead paint and vises that break if you tighten them too hard. Where ever would find someone dumb enough to buy junk like that?

You should not fault the Chinese for making so much smoke. They have too many people so getting rid of a few to make more bucks for building a stronger military is good for the country. And don’t criticize them for 12 hour school days as that allows both parents to work to beat on manufacturing costs. POS lathes, toys made with lead paint and vises that break if you tighten them too hard. Where ever would find someone dumb enough to buy junk like that?

Wow, you're stuck in the 50's huh? If you shop at Harbor Freight and the dollar store you're certain to find garbage that's made in China.....

....right next to garbage made in the states. Just because they're short and yellow doesn't mean they don't know how to build stuff. There's a lot of machine tools, consumer electronics, and castings that are perfectly functional and look fairly good for the price point they're in. They're getting better and will continue to do so. The next time you want to shit on Chinese workmanship, take a drive in a 1988 Ford Tempo or mid-70's Vega and tell me that American manufacturers weren't pulling that shit 30 years ago. We still are, to the extent that we can get away with it.

Heck why are we talking about china?

In texas they took out a nursing home, two schools, a playground, and all the windows in the town
not to mention all the volunteer firemen.

Just because the fertilizer company got a free pass from any regulations. Those morons in
boston killed three, the morons in texas killed 15 and injured hundreds. And look who they're
locking up.

My parent have been their and said it was so hard to breathe that they wore masks day and night. My dad had to use an inhaler to deal with the lack of oxygen.

hehe, I am living in Beijing, not feeling that bad pollution and on the contrary its getting better and better, tell you a truth, many immigrants from China to the states who actually are coming from mainly smaller cities of China, even had not been to America or knew very little about the so-called developed countries.

I remeber a month ago, jbc?, a gentleman here ever mentioned to visiting China's largest manufacturing technology show,and he would had visited CIMT'2013 of Beijing, It would be highly appreciated if he could tell folks here on what was his impressions about China.

hehe, I am living in Beijing, not feeling that bad pollution and on the contrary its getting better and better, tell you a truth, many immigrants from China to the states who actually are coming from mainly smaller cities of China, even had not been to America or knew very little about the so-called developed countries.

I remeber a month ago, jbc?, a gentleman here ever mentioned to visiting China's largest manufacturing technology show,and he would had visited CIMT'2013 of Beijing, It would be highly appreciated if he could tell folks here on what was his impressions about China.

Not Beijing but I've been in both Guangzhou and Shanghai in the last 3 or so years and the air wasn't a problem in either city. Shanghai has a larger population than Beijing and Guangzhou has over 10 million.

I believe Beijing does have more of a problem with sand blowing in from the west than with industrial polution.

I'll bet most Brits in here can remember a little thing known as smog ;) I can remember as a teenager not being able to see my hand at arms length on bad days.

Gordon

Today I talked with an old gentleman who comes from Scotland at my parents community, he is a retired journalist of 'sunday express' and his son and daught-in-law are living in Beijing, he told me that what he watched on Britain's TV about China were poverty and pollutions etc, but what he physically sees are quite different, he says that he thinks that Chinese people are more confident and friendly.

One thing I don't quite understand is about living prices here in Beijing, "nearly cheap", can someone explain to me what this means?

Wow, you're stuck in the 50's...
The next time you want to shit on Chinese workmanship, take a drive in a 1988 Ford Tempo or mid-70's Vega and tell me that American manufacturers weren't pulling that shit 30 years ago. We still are, to the extent that we can get away with it.

It seems some people are also stuck in the '70's and '80's, huh? :skep:
Drive a Honda or Toyota from the '70's if you can find one that hasn't dissolved to dust.
Let me ask you, are you an importer of Chinese goods or have other vested interests in promoting Red Chinese goods? Be honest now.
If you are happy with promoting terrible health and safety standards for fellow humans then shame on you.
If you couldn't care less about the way the Red Chinese treat this Earth we all share then again, shame on you.
If you get your jollys by enriching the Red Chinese while tearing your country and fellow countrymen down then... you guessed it!

Just like you who dwell on the past I do too. I prefer to buy items one time. The quality I see coming out of Red China is laughable at best. I gave them a chance in this household but quickly discovered that despite the cheap, currency manipulated price of their junk, it either can't do the simple tasks they were made to do or they self-destruct in doing so. I prefer scissors that will at the very least cut paper and nail clippers that don't fall apart on their first use (Thanks for your support CVS and fellow clone thinkers)
Just consider the fact that the Red Chinese do not love us. They surely love the great American dollar but they are far from our friends. I've done my personal best to NOT send them my hard-earned cash for decades. Even before Ross Perot issued his now proven warnings about them.

Just do a search on China pollution. The results tell a far different story than the picture painted on this thread by the Chinese Cheerleaders.

It seems some people are also stuck in the '70's and '80's, huh? :skep:
Drive a Honda or Toyota from the '70's if you can find one that hasn't dissolved to dust.
Let me ask you, are you an importer of Chinese goods or have other vested interests in promoting Red Chinese goods? Be honest now.
If you are happy with promoting terrible health and safety standards for fellow humans then shame on you.
If you couldn't care less about the way the Red Chinese treat this Earth we all share then again, shame on you.
If you get your jollys by enriching the Red Chinese while tearing your country and fellow countrymen down then... you guessed it!

Just like you who dwell on the past I do too. I prefer to buy items one time. The quality I see coming out of Red China is laughable at best. I gave them a chance in this household but quickly discovered that despite the cheap, currency manipulated price of their junk, it either can't do the simple tasks they were made to do or they self-destruct in doing so. I prefer scissors that will at the very least cut paper and nail clippers that don't fall apart on their first use (Thanks for your support CVS and fellow clone thinkers)
Just consider the fact that the Red Chinese do not love us. They surely love the great American dollar but they are far from our friends. I've done my personal best to NOT send them my hard-earned cash for decades. Even before Ross Perot issued his now proven warnings about them.

Just do a search on China pollution. The results tell a far different story than the picture painted on this thread by the Chinese Cheerleaders.

Peddler have you ever been outside the USA and if so where? Your post reminds me of the time when I was a kid and someone made an outrageous claim and was asked to prove it replied with "I read it".

Gordon

If we take cities with over 10 a million population (even over 5 million) I wonder which are the ones with the cleanest air and which have most pollution?

Funny you mention that. I've been spending a lot of time in Tokyo, which is the world's largest city: 37 million. It's amazingly clean for a city of that size, but they do have problems with pollution... wafting over the China Sea from Beijing :rolleyes5:

No clearing the air over neighbor's pollution | The Japan Times

Pollutants from China and their resultant problems are nothing new to Japan. Acid rain, principally caused by high levels of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide in industrial pollutants, has been a concern for several decades.While Kyushu and western Japan are most vulnerable to pollutants from mainland China, Shukan Asahi (Feb. 15) quoted Jotaro Urabe, professor at Tohoku University, as saying testing of soil strata on Mt. Hachimantai in Iwate Prefecture indicates metallic precipitates have increased two to fivefold from the levels of the 1950s, serving as evidence that pollution from China extends over nearly the entire Japanese archipelago.

Peddler have you ever been outside the USA and if so where? Your post reminds me of the time when I was a kid and someone made an outrageous claim and was asked to prove it replied with "I read it".

Gordon

What exactly do you find unbelievable about his post? Sounds rather relevant to me. The average quality of Chinese crap I have seen is just that... Crap. They can produce quality, just like any other country can. The problem is QUALITY CONTROL. You never know if you're going to be the one getting a great deal on a quality made Chinese product, or if you're going to get the one that slipped past their QC inspector. When it comes to money, I play it safe and conservative. I'd rather pay a little more knowing I'm going to get exactly what I want the first time. Unfortunately for us in the states, we don't always have that option because retailers only give us one option for many items... "Made in China".

At this point, it seems the average American doesn't care if there is lead, mercury and other harmful contaminants on their items and even in their food. They just want cheap. Some of us think we deserve better though. Hopefully, the Chinese will wake up and realize they deserve better too.

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/nt512eeabc.jpg

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/gy512eeb31.jpg

Do you believe anyone deserves to live in a region that looks like this??? Would you like to eat the fish coming out of this body of water? Is it fair that they are allowed to pollute the planet while other countries have strict environmental regulations which hurt the competitiveness their domestic industry?

http://www.china-mike.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/china-polluted-chinese-city-smog.jpg

Maybe we should all copy China's formula for success and say to hell with our children's future. Let them breath in the polluted air while we roll in the dough. Let them enjoy a future of exploding cancer rates and chronic breathing problems. At the end of the day, we'll claim they got a fair deal because they can buy stocks in these companies and collect a miniscule dividend or something stupid like that.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images...ollutespan/09cnd-pollutespan-articleLarge.jpg

Yup, nothing to see here, just capitalism in motion. Beautiful, isn't it? The scariest thing is now so much of our seafood is imported from China. Many times, you can't even tell where it's from because they won't tell you. This crap is getting out of hand, and I'm sure the folks running the show know it will do harm to the consumers. They don't care though. They'll just blabber on about jobs that Americans won't do, and how this is what the consumer demanded. I have no clue how anybody could cheerlead the raping of our planet, and the exploitation of billions of people.

Back