What's new
What's new

Pre1870(?) Blaisdell & Wood lathe on NH Craiglist !

peter

Titanium
I had to stop and think a few hours before putting this one up. Very complete and older than the seller realizes.

Someone in the know can comment as the name Blaisdell & Wood, must or probably predate P Blaisdell or coincident
with the early years. P Blaisdell may go back to 1865 according to Roe. Roe has no reference to Blaisdell & Wood.
He does show Wood light morphed into P Blaisdell.

its early machine and looks very clean and un molested. Even has the acorn oil caps on the head. Those are right,
I lost a pair just like that :( A Very early "S" spoke style gear on the side. A little rich asking price for some, but; that
is a good sign the seller is at least aware he has something important. That would not stop be from making an offer
but; it would not prevent me from buying if there was any way I could manage it. A very worth machine IMHO.

I say 1870 as conservative estimate, but thinking about the company name 1865 +/- would not surprise me on this one.
Maybe Rob will see this an comment on the year. All I am going by is the Worcester flow chart in Roe's book.

Antique Blaisdell Engine/Machine Lathe circa 1880

Attachments

• BW_Badge.jpg
    BW_Badge.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 534
  • BW_Side.jpg
    BW_Side.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 794
  • BW_Head.jpg
    BW_Head.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 692
  • BW_Tail.jpg
    BW_Tail.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 572
That one has actually been there before - a couple of times. It last left us at $1700 - and the seller seems in no rush to push it out the door.

I seriously considered negotiating this one as it is 18" swing or possibly a bit more. Blaisdell & Wood morphed into Blaisdell by about 1874.

But alas. The seller is BARELY into the world of the credible price wise - this especially since there is a Lowell Arms lathe that is time concurrent with this one - and 1/2 the weight selling for $170 down in Seabrook (nearer to population centers) as we speak.

So I plan on letting this one pass.

Joe in NH

He mentions lots of tooling and etc in his add, what does that add to the value?
Text off add:
Antique engine lathe with 8' bed. Have many tools that go with it including several cutting arbors. Also have the motor and belts. This is a beautiful and interesting piece of history. Very heavy piece. Will need a heavy duty truck to haul. I can help you load into your vehicle or trailer. This lathe was manufactured in Worcester, Mass and was in service at the New Hampshire seacoast for many years. See link below for more info.

P. Blaisdell & Co. - 1880 Ad-P. Blaisdell & Co. Engine Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

Rob

He mentions lots of tooling and etc in his add, what does that add to the value?

Hard to say as it's likely a mix of stuff. The armstrong cutoff tool shown in the lantern is 20th century. The chucks are likely the 19th century version with the extended knuckle busters.

I might guess a reasonable set of tooling of mixed age/origin might jump this from $500 to maybe $800?

About where I might offer to buy - but again - this might be taken as insult to someone who "knows what he has" (or thinks he does.)

Eh. I'm better off standing back right now.

Joe in NH

I am not very consistent at looking at Craig list. I did not see it or recall this one.

Yes, although it lacks the unique one-of-a-kindness of the Lowell Arms it makes up for in condition IMHO. The Lowell was down to $170
at my last check. But that assumes it all about price. Personal interest and timing are factors. I would already have the Lowell if I was
not simply out of space and that is that. No regrets, but I am done. If I see the right must-have key-piece then something goes outside.

This guy is pretty much out in the boonies, I bet cash in hand would make an impression. Well you never know. You should get his
name and number - just in case.

Rob F.'s link gives a fairly good timeline.
Blaisdell worked for Wood, Light & Co.
Blaisdell started his own company with Charles Wood of Wood, Light & Co.
I have a Blaisdell & Wood ad from 1867 showing their upright drill, with the July 16, 1867 patent. The ad also advertises engine lathes, crank planers, boring mills, gear cutters and hand lathes.
I also have a Charles Wood(Successor to Blaisdell & Wood) ad from 1868. It is the same identical ad as the Blaisdell & Wood ad, even the same location of the factory.
I also have P. Blaisdell ads(no & Co.) from 1869 and 1871 that are also identical to the Blaisdell & Wood ad, even the same factory location.

This would put the age of this lathe around 1865 to 1868.

Rob

I was thinking, if a person was going to start a machine tool collection with a goal of say 20 machines all from new England or even Mass there is an opportunity to buy two right now. Both with a maker name (and good names) and dated to withing a few years (good years). Those two questions asked all time on this forum and known for a certainty. One dirt cheap and one asking high. A little negotiation and then price averaged the two should average work out ok.

I have been worrying about the Lowell Arms lathe, which is priced down close to legs value. But how much better, covering with blue plastic, to slowly weather and tear away. Not a kind fate either. I dont know..... I never did go see it - $3.20 gallon and winter closing in.

We need more fresh blood. On another day you might see a bidding war. Its a funny hobby. Relatively few guys (any girls? no?) and naturally all with limited space.

I have been worrying about the Lowell Arms lathe, which is priced down close to legs value. But how much better, covering with blue plastic, to slowly weather and tear away. Not a kind fate either. I dont know..... I never did go see it - $3.20 gallon and winter closing in.

I have been worrying about the Lowell lathe also. I don't want to see it gutted for it's legs.
Money and space are always a problem. When I really want a machine I have always found room for it.
I have a lathe sitting on top of a planer and a smaller lathe on top of a larger lathe and a planer on top of a larger planer etc. For me now money is the problem.

Peter go get it. Grease it up very well and tarp it. Wrap the tarp tightly all around it(even underneath, don't let it just hang over it). I bought a David Pond lathe some time ago. It had to sit outside(where I bought it) untill I could get it moved to my place. I went and bought some bicycle chain grease in a spray can. Protects very well but very hard to clean off.

Rob

Peter I agree with Rob... Go get it. You can always sell it for what you have in it later on down the road. Saving it is the most important thing right now- Jake

Were you hoping we were going to tell you not to get? If so you came to the wrong place. Just wrap it up good and do something with it later.

The Blaisdell-Wood lathe now back for a continuing round three (probably) of Craigslist. Antique Blaisdell and Wood Engine Lathe circa 1865

Last year when we spoke and with him at $1700, he had done some "cleaning up" of the lathe (so the pix may not be current) and it apparent from his tone he was quite enamored of the machine - as in there would be little room for negotiation of what I considered then too high a price.

This seems to be fact: when an owner takes an "interest" in a machine and actually does some physical work to improve it, he commits part of himself to it, which solidifies any pricing decisions he may have made.

As it was then so how it is now. Again, I will let this one pass. Regretfully since we're now only separated by a factor of 2x instead of 3x.

And had I not recently bought the 20" Flather for less than half of what I might offer for this lathe, I'm sort of committed.

Its time for my pills.

7.png

Joe in NH

Hello,
This lathe is still in my barn and is still for sale. I'm moving in the next year or so and I will not be bringing it with me.
If their is any interest from anyone on this thread, I'm going to you first before posting it elsewhere.
Reasonable offers will be accepted. I'm ready to part with this piece. Let's both be happy!
Best regards,
Dave
(phone available upon request)

I believe you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would give you $4-500 for it. Does it have a countershaft and the change gears? It's certainly worth saving, it's just the guys who like this stuff are in over their heads with iron. Sad truth. Jake

See attached from 1867 Blaisdell & Wood catalog (courtesy of Rob Lang).

Attachments

• Pages from Blaisdell & Wood_1867_Catalog.jpg
    Pages from Blaisdell & Wood_1867_Catalog.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 4
I believe you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would give you $4-500 for it. Does it have a countershaft and the change gears? It's certainly worth saving, it's just the guys who like this stuff are in over their heads with iron. Sad truth. Jake

See attached from 1867 Blaisdell & Wood catalog (courtesy of Rob Lang).
Yes it does have a countershaft and gears and a new motor and maybe usable belts and tooling as well. $500 is way too low but you know that. I’d say somewhere closer to double that would be very reasonable.

Back