What's new
What's new

Reversible tapping attachment for radial drilling machine

FOXICON

Plastic
Hi there!

I have a huge problem.
I need a (preferably reversible) tapping attachment for radial drilling machine for up to 70mm taps (between 20 and 70).
My only problem is (although I spent hours searching for it and sent many e-mails) still I have no foggy idea where can I find such over sized tapping attachment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks and greetings to all!

Gabriel

At the shop I previously worked at we had a little Cincinnati Bickford RA. 9" column, 3' arm. 3 hp. Built in 1935. Had a forward/off/reverse switch for the spindle motor which was obviously factory.

I tapped alot of holes on that little guy, up to 1" acme. Lots of 7/8-9.

It had a 3/4" capacity Super Chuck. Right or wrong, I made a few different tap drivers with three flats on the shank and a square female pocket. Chucked on the flats and sank the tap in just like doing it on a Bridgy.

The acme made the little fella grunt, but it did it.

I love Moly Dee.

Last edited:
Tapmatic (USA) makes auto reversing tapping attachments (the spindle does not reverse, but the tap does) for up to M48. http://tapmatic.com/images/pdf/tapmatic_catalog_full.pdf These are general use tools that use standard machine taps.

For sizes over M33 and up to huge, Geometric makes collapsing rotary taps with replaceable chasers. The chasers simply collapse inward when the depth is reached, so no reversing is needed. New ones are expensive, so they are only used for high volume production. They might turn up cheap on eBay, but the chasers will still be expensive. Each size head has a relatively narrow range of diameters it can tap, and they do not like coarse threads. Geometric 2D Tapping Head K49009 Morse 4 Shank | eBay

Larry

You haven't said what problem you are having tapping on your radial arm drill. So we don't know what this tapping attachment needs to do. If its drive a tap, there are morse taper tap holders. If its reverse, most radial arm drills reverse with the flip of a switch. If its torque limiting, there are numerous manufacturers of torque limiting tap drivers. I have a MT4 Scully Jones for my radial arm drill. And then there are the Tapmatic heads Larry mentioned. They can do all three in one unit.

Back