What's new
What's new

New machine video

Eric U

Hot Rolled
Ok, here it is: http://youtu.be/RNgCNQqJPFw

Doosan Lynx 220 LYA with LNS barfeed and chip conveyor. "Installed" in early September. Got training on it more than a month later, but didn't know what questions to ask at the time. I did get my live tools ordered and delivered. Machining isn't my day job, so I've got a lot of other obligations that take up the majority of my time.

I just went ahead and tackled the hardest part I've got. Hopefully my other parts will come together quicker! I spent the better part of the last two months trying to a) crack the code on Fanuc, b) learn mill/turn, c) figure out how to get the barfeeder to do what I thought it should, and d) redesign my parts so they would be make-able on my Doosan. I also had to order some custom tooling that took ~5 weeks to arrive. During the 2nd week of January, both my slitting saws and step drills showed up. I needed custom slitting saws, because 2-3/4" diameter saws usually have a larger mounting hole than would fit in the 1/2" mandrels that fit in my live tools. I also needed custom carbide step drills because I've used up all the positions in my 12-tool turret. Carbide so no spot, step so I have a clearance hole (.199"), and the correct diameter (.175) for a 70% 10-32 form tap.

I have to give a huge "Thank You" to Tony and the other contributors to the Macro Programming Fundamentals sticky. It is no exaggeration to say that it changed my machining life. I ended up buying Peter Smid's book on Fanuc macro's and it helped fill in the blanks. For my part in the video above, back in the olden-days, it took me four operations to complete it. One on my Haas TL-1 lathe, and three on my Haas VF-2 mill. My part has a stepped bore...1" of it is 1.002" diameter, and the other 1-1/8" is anywhere between 0.805" and 1.030" dia. Previously I hand-jammed each size as required to do the bore on the TL-1. For each size I had to do on the TL, I had to post two different programs from my CAM to finish it up on the VF-2. What a pain! I probably have over 300 different programs for the different part sizes. Now at the top of my main program on the Doosan, I input part size and the number of parts I want made. That's it. Hit the "go" button. Macro variables, math, and 18 different sub-programs do the rest.

Programming my part is a bit more complicated than it seems on the surface, as there is a transition point where the stepped bore on both ends is equal. Since the larger opening needs to be toward the turret, having a part size LT or GE 1.002" affects: the side of the part the screw holes are on; how deep the bore and subsequently the cross slit are; alignment slots are different lengths; chamfer is different (back chamfer, chamfer between the steps of the bore, external chamfer), etc. I especially enjoyed working out how to strip out the numbers from the part size input at the beginning of the program so I could engrave it on the part! What an education working through this one! Total machining time on this part is probably only a couple minutes faster than before...but with no handling, no deburring, and no re-writing and re-posting programs for a new size, it's like a lifetime.

I love watching machine videos. Hopefully you like this one. You've earned it answering all my stupid questions (even if you didn't know it), and giving guidance. I'm all ears for any hints for making this part even better!

Thanks,
Eric U

Nice work! I think the Lynx 220 allows you to half index your turret to add more tool stations in case you need more. I have quad tool blocks on my Mori NL2500SY and that frees up a few stations. Wasprogramming the macros difficult to get a handle on?

The Lynx actually does have a "24" position turret. One 3-boring-bar block came with the machine, but it doesn't have a way to put a back-plate on it for through-tool coolant. At one time I was trying to run three 5/8" bars, and almost nobody makes 3/4" x 5/8" boring bar bushings. I buggered up my 5/8" boring bar and went with the 1/2" in the video, so I guess that isn't as much of an issue anymore. The 3-bar block is also pretty short and I like the idea of having 3-3.5" of boring bar supported by the bushing. The little 3/4" bushings are only around 1.5" long. I also have a half-position square shank tool holder, but clearance issues kept me from using it for the turn-face and parting tools. Anyway, step drill already in hand so no need to change now.

The macro's weren't as bad as I thought they might be. I did a short stint as a computer programmer, so some of the logic was still stored away in the dark recesses of my mind. After reading through the whole Macro Programming Fundamentals sticky, and Peter Smid's book. I was reasonably equipped to give it a try. I did have some teething problems, but I got most of those sorted out in a day or so. Overall, my 18 sub-program program evolved into it's present shape and form. My initial one was probably only 10 subs (before saws and drills showed up). Give it a try!

Eric U

Bravo !! I would like to know more about what you are doing, You said machining is not your day job. Is this your own product ? If you are doing this on the side while holding another full time gig that is great. I loved the video you have done well.

Ron

Great Job and great video!
One question about the tapping... Why do you have your R plane set above your return height? No giving you crap just a question ;)

Bravo !! I would like to know more about what you are doing, You said machining is not your day job. Is this your own product ? If you are doing this on the side while holding another full time gig that is great. I loved the video you have done well.

Ron

My own product. My real job is the Army. I'll retire in a few years and am working on my "life after the Army" plan.

Eric U

Great Job and great video!
One question about the tapping... Why do you have your R plane set above your return height? No giving you crap just a question ;)

Just an example of me not knowing Fanuc. The CAM spit out the tapping code and I haven't dug into it enough to get it right. I'll fix it in a bit. Today's job is to make my next part program.

Thanks,
Eric U

Thank you for turning it in brass without coolant. Made what was going on much clearer than the usual flood coolant videos....

Hi Eric,

Nice video.

Two suggestions

1) Add a small light at the camera position pointed toward the work. Much of the subject is in shadow.

2) Follow through with removing the parts so we can see what they look like.

- Leigh

I have a question I have no idea that is why I am asking. In some of the views it seems other tools get close to the turning chuck does the machine know how close it can get to stop a crash or do you have to know how close another tool is when doing an operation? If the machine knows and has a limit set how do you program for this type situation.

Thanks for the video it was interesting to watch. Nice looking part.

Back