What's new
What's new

CNC Machinist Calculator for Android & iOS

shanesuan

Aluminum
Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago I posted a link to an Android app I was working on called "CNC Machinist Calculator".

A lot of you had some great ideas which I've implemented. You'll now find a tap drill calculator for determining drill Ø for roll form & cut taps (based on the percentage of thread). You'll also find a calculator for determining what diameter stock is needed for milling hex or square features. Also, after jumping through all of Apple's hoops, my calculator app is finally available for iOS.

I appreciate all of the feedback I received last time. Any opinions you have which can help me to improve the app are always welcome. Positive or negative, I'll take them all.

I have a long list of features I will be adding in the future. For now, please try it out for yourself.

Android Free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluckedstudios.calculator

Android Pro version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluckedstudios.machcalcpro

Apple Free version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keynote/id1037728273?mt=8

Apple Pro version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keynote/id1037668281?mt=8

android.jpgapple.jpg

Here is a link to my flyer

Attachments

• CNC-Machinist-Calc-Pro.jpg
    CNC-Machinist-Calc-Pro.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,047
Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago I posted a link to an Android app I was working on called "CNC Machinist Calculator".

A lot of you had some great ideas which I've implemented. You'll now find a tap drill calculator for determining drill Ø for roll form & cut taps (based on the percentage of thread). You'll also find a calculator for determining what diameter stock is needed for milling hex or square features. Also, after jumping through all of Apple's hoops, my calculator app is finally available for iOS.

I appreciate all of the feedback I received last time. Any opinions you have which can help me to improve the app are always welcome. Positive or negative, I'll take them all.

I have a long list of features I will be adding in the future. For now, please try it out for yourself.

Android Free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluckedstudios.calculator

Android Pro version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluckedstudios.machcalcpro

Apple Free version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keynote/id1037728273?mt=8

Apple Pro version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keynote/id1037668281?mt=8

View attachment 150172View attachment 150173

Here is a link to my flyer

out of curiosity. what size end mill do you use to mill out those sharp corners before you drop an HP calculator into your iPhone? Joke aside it looks very retro and cool. I will download the free version and see if i want to spring for the pro.

dee
;-D

Last edited:
Shanesuan, I didn't post in the other thread as it was getting a little too entertaining. My question for you personally is; where did you source the information you put in the app variables, what formulaic resources did you use? Machinery's Handbook? The Interweb? Just curious I will probably try the free version just to test the reliability. The reason I ask is a benefit to you, because if your app doesn't make life easier and faster than it's a waste, but most importantly "trustable" Many Machinists will fall back on the Big Book as the "last word" on information concerning manufacturing, not me I've got the bloody book memorized basically, so now it's just a coaster for my coffee. :)

Robert

Shanesuan, I didn't post in the other thread as it was getting a little too entertaining. My question for you personally is; where did you source the information you put in the app variables, what formulaic resources did you use? Machinery's Handbook? The Interweb? Just curious I will probably try the free version just to test the reliability. The reason I ask is a benefit to you, because if your app doesn't make life easier and faster than it's a waste, but most importantly "trustable" Many Machinists will fall back on the Big Book as the "last word" on information concerning manufacturing, not me I've got the bloody book memorized basically, so now it's just a coaster for my coffee. :)

Robert

Hi Litlerob,

Good question. I used many different resources. Many of the calculations came from the machinists handbook. The machinability ratings for materials came from the American Iron and steel institute. GD&T info is from ASME Y14.5. Thread data comes from the corresponding thread spec. I have loads of reference material I've collected over the last 21 years of my career. I use them daily on the job. I'm an Engineering Manager at an AS9100/ISO 9001 certified shop doing work primarily for the aerospace industry. About 50% of my day is spent quoting new work. Over the years I've created tools such as excel spread sheets to help me on the job. Much of the information in the app is based on these tools and has been verified over the years. App creation is a hobby of mine & I thought this information would be helpful to machinists everywhere. Hopefully you will find the information to be accurate & "trustable".

Thank you,

Shane

out of curiosity. what size end mill do you use to mill out those sharp corners before you drop an HP calculator into your iPhone? Joke aside it looks very retro and cool. I will download the free version and see if i want to spring for the pro.

dee
;-D

Thanks dcsipo- It wasn't easy to fit it in there. Milling through the Gorilla Glass was tough with that 1/64" endmill. HA! Kidding aside, I actually 3D modeled the calculator up using Autodesk Inventor to get the lighting and shadows to look right.

Shane

I just downloaded the free Android version but it looks like the "Turn Calc", "Mill Calc", and "Drill Calc" features all require the Pro version. What exactly does one get in the free version?

Also, on my Samsung Note 5 phone, it seems to take an aggressive key press to actuate any of the buttons whereas my other apps only seem to require a light press. That's a bit offputting as I wait a second or two after a press to see if anything happens.

Switching through the various screens seems to take a couple/5 seconds on my iPhone 5. Is that normal? Not a deal breaker, but annoying.

Hi adatesman,

I read your post this morning and starting looking into this issue. I wasn't seeing the lag on my device but when I loaded the app onto my ipod I also see a very annoying lag. It appears to be caused by the load time needed for the 10 key keyboard code. I removed the keyboard code from the screens that don't require it (like the GD&T screen)and the lag went away. I'm working on a solution to this. Hopefully by the end of today I will have an update available for Android. The iOS update may take a couple weeks due the approval process.

Thank you for the feedback!

Shane

I just downloaded the free Android version but it looks like the "Turn Calc", "Mill Calc", and "Drill Calc" features all require the Pro version. What exactly does one get in the free version?

Also, on my Samsung Note 5 phone, it seems to take an aggressive key press to actuate any of the buttons whereas my other apps only seem to require a light press. That's a bit offputting as I wait a second or two after a press to see if anything happens.

Hi Mike,

The Free version includes the following:

1. Gun drilling Calculators
2. True Position Calculators
3. Drill & Tap charts
4. Thread Pitch charts
5. Center drill dimensions
6. Unit converter
7. Hardness conversions
8. G-codes
9. M-codes
10. Blue Print Geometric Tolerance Descriptors - GD&T
11. Geometric calculators

It's strange that you need to push the buttons so hard. I tested the app on an LG G2 and I had a similar issue. On this phone the issue was being caused by LG's "Touch zoom" or "Magnification Gestures" option located in the phone's "Accessibility settings". This allowed the user to zoom into any screen by triple tapping. Once I unchecked this option in the settings, the problem went away. Does your Samsung Note have a similar option enabled?

Thank you for the feedback,

Shane

Just a few quick comments from my limited use so far.

For the cost of the Pro version, I went ahead and purchased it for the added features. It provides a lot of nice features and is presented better than the MCPro2 calculator.

One feature that would be nice is being able to enter fractions instead of decimals when entering data into the table calculations, especially for threading. I also found it slow when going to the tables on my iPhone 6 plus.

Needs a help screen or manual. Also, noticed the Triangle Solver goes to an external site This should be done within the app.

Edit: Calculator is missing functions and constants normally associated with an advance calculator.....1/x, PI, x2, square-root, etc. Would be great to have fractional capability on there as well...1/2" + 1/16" = Conversion between decimal to fraction, etc.

I've only tried to use it once and a glaringly annoying thing is that I can't use the back button on my android devices. I have to use the software back button, inconveniently located I the far top left (a long reach on a 5.5" phone)

On a side note.
I hope you do not get a cease and desist letter from Calculated Industries who carry their own apps, called surprisingly similar to yours - "Machinist Calc Pro"....

BTW. There may be delay in your key pressing because you are using Click events, that have a 300ms delay.(I suspect you are using html5 for your source code)

I bought the iOS pro version just now. So far so good, but I wish the little gear spinning in the lower right corner would go away quicker. Why so laggy?

I bought the iOS pro version just now. So far so good, but I wish the little gear spinning in the lower right corner would go away quicker. Why so laggy?

Thank you rklopp! I've made some improvements to help speed up the app. I've already implemented the change on the Android version. You should see the iOS update in about 2 weeks due to the iOS app approval process. The update will reduce load time between screens by about 25% on the screens which require data entry & roughly a 200% speed improvement on screens which do not require data entry.

Thanks again,

Shane

I've only tried to use it once and a glaringly annoying thing is that I can't use the back button on my android devices. I have to use the software back button, inconveniently located I the far top left (a long reach on a 5.5" phone)

Yeah, I agree, that is annoying. The reason for this is because the software I use to create apps is geared for iOS (which does not have a back button). I have had a help desk request submitted since February to add back button support into the software.

Thank you for the feedback,

Shane

On a side note.
I hope you do not get a cease and desist letter from Calculated Industries who carry their own apps, called surprisingly similar to yours - "Machinist Calc Pro"....

BTW. There may be delay in your key pressing because you are using Click events, that have a 300ms delay.(I suspect you are using html5 for your source code)

Thanks for the feed back zero_divide. One of the main reasons I developed this app is because most machinist apps on the market are hard to learn. This includes "Machinist Calc Pro". The only similarity between my app & theirs is the basic number calculator. There are thousands of basic number calculator apps out there. I wrote code to power my calculator from scratch and 3d modeled the calculator off of my own design. Trust me, no patents were violated in the creation of this app :)

Also, thanks for the feedback on the button press delay. I will look into this.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Shane

I look forward to the iOS update version. It would be nice if one could copy from the calculator output into other entry boxes. For example, if I calculate a chip load by dividing an endmill diameter by a constant, it would be handy to be able to paste that result into the milling calculator IPT box. Also, I noticed the current calculator result goes away if I go to another window and back. It would be great if it stayed in memory. How about adding basic minor thread diameters for internal and external threads?

In any event, thanks for the app!

Back