What's new
What's new

Year / Date please Hardinge HLV-H / KL1

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folks ...

Still searching for a Hardinge HLV-H and may have found one ... Irrespective of it's use I'd like to know it's build year.

I have the dates for all the English ones but I guess this is US built? Can anyone date serial number 77881

Many thanks

John:typing:

I used the toll free 800 number for Hardinge for that when I was looking for a machine.

There are machinery books that have that information. Most machinery dealers will have those books.
You might get the "we don't know exactly" response if you are buying a machine from a dealer. That means
they have adjusted the age up some years to promote a sale. Don't buy a book, just keep asking around
about your number or use the "contact us" form on their website.

Hi Rons ... Thanks for the info. TF 800 numbers are not "freely" available in the UK ... and from previous experience Hardinge UK are not very helpful!

... the info is out there somewhere ... just got to dig a bit more!

John :typing:

john,
I did have that thought that it would not be easy for you so I will try to call Hardinge and see what they say.
If I get your year then how about sending my some Guinness Special Export Stout? :cheers:

I also sent them your question in a contact form.

The latest serial number I have is for a 1998 HLV-H and it is 15361. Serial numbers for HLV-H's begin with 100 back in 1960 and progress in a linear fashion all the way up to 15361. Production probably averaged around 500 units per year thru 1990 and then it dropped to around 300 per year thru 1998. What happened after that, someone else will have to say.

The serial number of 77881 doesn't seem to fit with U.S. production numbers.

John, Older models have the serial number stamped on the back side of the head stock.
Newer models have the serial number stamped on the far right end of the bed. Make sure
you are giving the right number.

77,000 plus is too high for an hlv (hardinge could not have made that many!)

my guess is thaty number is a works id number. As stated above hlv-h's have their stamp on the slope behind the tail stock end of the bed .

if it's a KL 1 it is British made (or at least some of it is) . early lathes had rounded thick doors, later ones (circa 1980) moved to thinner square edges with the headstock side screwed in place. the final models (1990's? )had a smaller , all electronic speed control box for the feed motor.

age is far less important than condition (the basic design remained unaltered).

"John, Older models have the serial number stamped on the back side of the head stock.
Newer models have the serial number stamped on the far right end of the bed. Make sure
you are giving the right number. "

Serial number 330 has that stamped on the far right side of the bed at the rear, so the
statement above may not be valid for all of the HLVHs.

And I seem to recall this lathe was 58 or 59 build, but not positive about that.

"John, Older models have the serial number stamped on the back side of the head stock.
you are giving the right number. "

Serial number 330 has that stamped on the far right side of the bed at the rear, so the
statement above may not be valid for all of the HLVHs.

And I seem to recall this lathe was 58 or 59 build, but not positive about that.

The way to work it is if there is no number on the head then go to the tail.

I called Hardinge and the man I spoke to is named Tom who I ordered from before. He has been in the job for 40 years.

The number 77881 did not sound correct to him. He immediately pointed that out.
He said it could be 7788-T which means it is from the year 1978. KL1 is the version.

BRILLIANT Rons! :D ... Thank you so very much! ... It makes sense as it is now confirmed as a KL1.

Since returning to this Forum I have only been astounded at the help offered, advice received and the depth of knowledge freely given.

Thank you Rons and all yet again ...

Have a great weekend and long may advice and help flow freely!

:bowdown:

PS: Rons ... You know that the further Guinness travels the poorer the flavour (Fact) ... :cheers:

John, Two "Likes" does not equal two pints of Guinness.

Here is a message from customer support:

Year of production was 7/5/1978

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance

Linda Myers

Sr. Customer Service Representative Part Div.

Hardinge Inc.

Office - 607-378-4229

Cell or Txt - 607-481-2454

Skype – lindamyershardingeparts

Last edited:
Hi John,
I have a British HLV-H lathe with serial number #710. Could you find the manufacturing date in your data? I was not able to find a list with numbers online. Thanks in advance,
Melle from Holland

Thanks John! So its actually older then I am, just 4 years though. Nice I know a date now. In here there are not many of those machines, but its a great machine to work with.

Back