What's new
What's new

Brother MPG by World Encoders....what did the original knobs look like ? (pix)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Below from 2012 Brother TC-2SDn....MPG axis selection knobs seem awfully small, plus they have no arrow or mark to point to which axis or movement increment you have selected. Are just the arrows missing or did they originally have larger knobs with a witness mark to point to selection ?

IMG_2801.JPG

Looks like the outer half of the knob is gone. They have an outer cover that has a full-length mark on the OD. I've got some that are black knobs with white line and some with light colored (tan-ish) knobs with black mark - I think the light-colored ones were replacements from the parts department.

Tony, does that look like a typical 2012 Brother MPG pendant ? I'm wondering if someone did a switcheroo at the auction and put a 2009 pendant on my newer machine.... it just seems a bit too crude looking for a 2012 machine, esp considering the rest of the machine is so "modern" and clean.

Tony, does that look like a typical 2012 Brother MPG pendant ? I'm wondering if someone did a switcheroo at the auction and put a 2009 pendant on my newer machine.... it just seems a bit too crude looking for a 2012 machine, esp considering the rest of the machine is so "modern" and clean.

It's very possible you got the switcheroo, but that is similar to what a new one looks like. I kind of have serious doubts that the MPG's we get in the US are what the Japanese Brothers have on them. My bet is the ones from Japan are too expensive for the importer (Yamazen) to bring in as they are paying exchange and import fees on them, so they source them from World Encoders here. Same with the CTS pumps. They are sourced in the US now.

That's the standard mpg. Only one I've ever seen. Here's mine.
Well I'm be damn, that's exactly the same... mine just needs some more cleanup and those cute yellow knobs ! Surprising they were too cheap to even put a "Brother" logo on the handwheel ;)

Of some possible humor I emailed World Encoders with photos of both sides and the reply in broken English is something like "we wholesaler only, you must contact Yamazen" To which I responded how strange it was that they would put their part number and phone number in large print on the back if that was the case.

I always thought they were comically clunky. I don't think any of the MTBs make their own remote MPG except maybe Haas. Okuma uses a cheap POS thing like the link above.

It's rugged and works and there isn't a bunch of safety crap all over it. What's not to like.

Btw, my 2015 Speedio has the same mpg.

It's rugged and works and there isn't a bunch of safety crap all over it. What's not to like.

Btw, my 2015 Speedio has the same mpg.
As I said, apparently it "get's 'er done".....except the for crappy quality plastic knobs anyway...

It's very possible you got the switcheroo, but that is similar to what a new one looks like. I kind of have serious doubts that the MPG's we get in the US are what the Japanese Brothers have on them.

I think the Japanese market Brothers have these: Nemicon

Plastic body, cool "Handy Pulser" label, and a Brother logo on the knob!

They are rugged, the only issue I've had with them is the cable jacket cracking and peeling off the cable. Seems the jacket material doesn't play well with synthetic coolants.

Hi - here's a pic of mine on my 2005 Brother. Funny as I thought it was manufactured by Brother until just now when looked on the back and it says:

Handy Pulser, TYPE HP-102D-A-12, Nidec Nemicon Corp, Japan

It's feels quality though :)

MPG.jpg

Hi - here's a pic of mine on my 2005 Brother. Funny as I thought it was manufactured by Brother until just now when looked on the back and it says:

Handy Pulser, TYPE HP-102D-A-12, Nidec Nemicon Corp, Japan

It's feels quality though :)

View attachment 176169
Funny that the older MPG's appear nicer than the current ones. I just called Yamazen and they will not sell just the knobs....have to buy the whole thing, cable, connector and all.... 920 bucks. Not a bad price but I just need the darn knobs really. Guess I'll check the usual suspects like Digikey and Newark. (or McMaster Carr ?) One of the few things Radio Shack would have been good for but the Shack is tits up in most places.

Back