What's new
What's new

Almost out of my pre-ban Moly-Dee, How does my heart go on?

Parkerbender

Stainless
So, just about to the end of my last bottle of Moly Dee, the good stuff. Has anyone tried the new dishwasher-safe or whatever it is Moly D? I know there will be tapmatic guys, or whatever wd or henkel makes, or whatnot, and if that is your solution I guess you may as well pipe up... But anyone who is anyone knows that that stinky ol' black sludge was the bomb.com, and I didn't know if there was a smaller company ripping off the old formula, or if the new one is actually almost the same, or what.

Happy Friday!
-Parker

Can you believe that I have worked successfully in machining since I was about 12, so 20 years, and I've never, ever, used Moly Dee? :nutter:

Can you believe that I have worked successfully in machining since I was about 12, so 20 years, and I've never, ever, used Moly Dee? :nutter:

Soitanly! As to machining.

But how many heavy Diesels or uber-fasteners & high-temp brake assemblies have you had to deal with in that time?

Should be replaceable. 'Never-Seize' 50 years and more here, and silvery, not black.

Just had to lay-in a Nickel-bearing counterpart that Jaguar/Ford spec for ignorant spark plug installation, 4.2 alloy-head V8. Specifically warn to NOT use Moly.

Permatex branded, on the shelf, the 'usual suspects' among auto-parts sources.

NONE of this stuff is fit for ALL purposes. You wants chainsaw bar oil, bacon grease, 'Astro Glide' or 'K-Y Jelly' for that..

:)

i sympathize with you. over the years had a few jobs on the bridgeport, 1" thds, even 3/4 taper pipe thds, into stainless, hand tapped with me on a shoulder width tap wrench and someone else holding a lil pressure on a spindle held center, could not do these with "tap" fluids, even sulfurated cutting oil, but with old stinky moly dee i could get these done.

I bought a gallon about 2 months ago and it sez Variocut C Moly Dee on the jug. Seems to work as well as the old tapping 1/2 pipe in 304 SS.

Ed.

I have used the Moly-Dee and swore by it for the last 20 years or more.
A year ago was the last time I used the new bottle I just received. I was working in a sawmill as their machinist. I had them buy it for me all the years I was there. I kept it tucked away in my locker for the problem tapping. It sure seemed the same that I have always remembered.
One day a millwright was trying to tap a hole that was in a plate they had fabbed up. The hole he was tapping was intersecting a weld on about 1/3 of the diameter of hole. He was using Tap Magic. He showed me that he had dulled 2 taps to the point they were useless.
I got out a new taper out and the Moly-Dee The taper walked right through the hole with my patience and a careful hand.
I'm still convinced it's the best.
The last

I started using Emugee tapping fluid last year. Let me tell you, I'll never consider using moly-dee ever again. We use it for tapping Inconel. It works just as good, if not better, and it smells bitchen.

I used to use some stuff made by Union Butterfield. It worked fine. Tap Magic works fine. I had a quart of threading oil sold by Rigid and it worked fine.

What is it that you guys think this magic oil is doing for hand tapping?

Threaded and tapped a lot of stainless and titanium. I hated the smell of moly dee. I tried many options, but none was
as effective as moly dee. I admit that I did not conduct a scientific study, but I know what the fanboys are talking about.

I never had the chance to use the "old stuff" but I've got a couple bottles of the new stuff, had them for a few years now. I still mostly use Cooltool2. I tap mostly stainless, A-286, Ti, hastelloy... haven't noticed the moly-dee being any better. I use it mixed 50/50 with cooltool2 for broaching duplex, mostly just cause it sticks better that way and I can slowly use it up(wouldn't buy it again...) Could also really do without its smell...
I've tried many, many oils/pastes and such, and for general use, drilling, tapping, turning, nothing has yet beat cooltool2 for me.
I'll see if I can get some of that Emuge oil to try.

I've never used it either. I never heard of the stuff till I came here. For the longest time I thought it was a inside joke here on the site that I wasn't getting.

Brent

Just did a bunch of tapping small (4-40 and 10-32) holes in 6Al4V, went much better this time with the the stinky 'ol ho Molly!

Gave some to my toolmaker buddy and he said it was 100 times better than the Union Butterfield stuff they used at work.

Didn't know they changed the formula, thank gawd I got a quart of the good stuff, should last the rest of my days for all I do.

Maybe find a MSDS sheet of the old stuff and make your own? Possibly by mixing other tapping fluids which have key components together or adding certain things to one base fluid like the black Ridgid stuff.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

There was something BETTER than Moly-dee.
Much much better. Hard to believe....
It was called Honey Cut or Honeycutt or Honey Kutt, I forget.
Someone gave me a couple pint cans 30 years ago.
I was drilling lots of 1/2" holes in DOM tubing on a drill press.
That stuff was amazing, it would free up the drill like drilling
delrin....almost. In 2 days the drill press table and all the chips were brown with rust stains. Stinky, nasty shit. But man did it work. I was afraid to use in on any other machine.

Google didn't turn up much "Trademark Expired" owned by Tapmatic corp.
HONEY-CUT Trademark - Registration Number 983695 - Serial Number 7245744 :: Justia Trademarks

I've got close to 120 1/4-20 thru holes in 3/4 17-4 using a single hsco ticn tap and formula 1 fluid, power tapped on a bridgeport...stuff's pretty good.

Back