What's new
What's new

Q. re adding a .jpg to a Private Message

Marty Feldman

Titanium
I assume it cannot be done, although it might just be a matter of my not being able to figure it out. There seems to be, in PM's Private Message software, a provision for inserting a photograph, and in sending a PM to a member I can get as far as the popup screen asking whether I want to source the pic from my computer or from a URL. Then, nothing. The photograph of interest is a .jpg file sitting in the picture folder on my hard drive, and is readily openable and viewable on my computer monitor, can readily be sent as an attachment or insertion on a routine email message.
Desktop linux box, homemade, running Firefox.

-Marty-

Marty,

Check you PM for a test I sent. I was able to copy/paste a url to two photos. One from an album within my PM profile, the other from a random web url of a jpg from google image search.

I could not attach a "local" file that was located on my win 7 computer.

Mark Long

About Imgur.com usage:

In simplest form you just click on green "New post" button and drag&drop the pic to web browser (or specify the path/filename) the picture(s) from your computer.
After that right-click the pic you just uploaded and select "copy shortcut" and you are done. Paste the shortcut to practical machinist or wherever you need.

But things are much easier if you register (or log in with facebook etc account) as you can select different picture sizes, delete your photos later on and so forth.

Here is link to more complete instructions as if I start to write anything more complicated nobody understands it anyways..

How to Use Imgur for Image Sharing

Mark, Matt -

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I was aware of pasting a URL from a webpage into a PM, but did not know how to paste in a .jpg-type-format pic that resided on my harddrive. I am not sure I will follow up on imgur. It seems tied in some way to social media, and I figure I can limp through to the end without ever tangling with social media. If it means that I will not attach a picture from my computer to a PM, I guess that will be fine. I just happen to have a personal negative reaction to self-descriptions such as imgur's

"a fantastic way to store your unique pictures on the web. It is particularly popular with funny images and with memes, giving you a simple method for participating in all the humor."

To me, it is not fantastic, my pictures are not unique, I would not know a meme if I tripped over one on the shop floor, it does not come across to me as simple, and I have zero interest in participating in the humor referred to.

-Marty-

Why couldn't you upload the photo to this board's photo hosting and then use the .img link from there? If it shows up in a post, why wouldn't it show up in a PM?

I will try that in a PM to Marty and he can report if it worked.

OK, so my test worked. I sent a PM to Marty with an image in jpeg format in it and he responded back to me, quoting it. The image was nicely displayed in the message. Marty asked,

Thanks a lot for that. Yes, I see it.
What was the source of the image? Pulled from your computer's hard drive? A picture on an internet site or webpage?

-Marty-

So here is what I did:

1. It is an image that I took with my camera and it was loaded onto my hard drive.

2. I uploaded it to this forum's photo hosting section. This forum, along with many others, uses software by vBulletin and it all seems to work in a similar manner. Unfortunately, it is not the easiest procedure, but once you use it a few times, it becomes almost automatic. There is one step that confuses many people but it must be done in order to complete the upload process. I have taken the trouble of documenting the steps in a short form and posted them on another board. You can see the procedure here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/th...e-The-Short-Strokes?highlight=photos+pictures

Sorry to send you to another board. I even included an image of the steps that is suitable for printing on a 2" x 2" sticky note. Please notice that step #8 is absolutely necessary. It may appear that the upload process is finished after step #7, but it is not. Remember to do step #8 every time or your photo will not be in an album and it may disappear. Steps #9 and #10 are for copying the link to post that picture in a post or PM. The upload process is complete after step #8.

3. After uploading it, I simply went to that album, clicked on that photo and copied the .img link that appears under it when it comes up.

4. That link is pasted into either a web post or a PM. It can probably be used in other places, perhaps a web page. But that may be imposing on our BB's sponsor.

That's it. And it works. Try it, you will like it.

If our moderator wants to copy that post and include it here, perhaps as a sticky, I grant my full permission for that. Of course, I am talking about my post only, not the ones by others which follow it. Changes may be made as needed. In fact, I extend that permission to any users of the vBulletin software.

Marty, I posted the reply to your last PM here so that others can benefit from it. And I believe if you read the stickies on the HSM web site, you will see some ideas on pulling photos from the web. That also is not hard.

Back