What's new
What's new

Way Way OT: Why we are seeing these "I can't be bothered to search google" postings.

DDoug

Diamond
Way Way OT: Why we are seeing these "I can't be bothered to search google" postings.

Just heard this TED talk, I think he nailed it:
Jaron Lanier: How Can We Repair The Mistakes Of The Digital Era? : NPR

The whole show this week is all about how the net is
bothering us constantly, and keeping us from concentrating:
Attention Please : TED Radio Hour : NPR

Didn't think it belongs in "Management" or other sub forum, but have been known
to make mistakes in the past.....:skep:

Move, lock, delete, flame, whatever.....:crazy:

and to the others.....Squirrel !

Idk....I'm more annoyed when I post a question that seems like it's a straight up easy question but I'm looking for experiences.

I asked my Facebook friends if there was a good program that people recommended for monitoring bandwidth from various programs.

I got my first lmgtfy link...I can google it....I was hoping that a more experienced person might actually recommend their preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried to follow the two links in your post but got scared, dont want to end up in NPR's lists. Just goes to show how little I understand life on the net. Interesting questions no doubt.
fusker

This guy is good about explaining why milenials are the way they are...

I view him as more of a millennial-apologist. Sure, his reasons are valid for some, but IME/O there are no shortage of entitled younger people who have no attention span due to their own lack of discipline. If we want to argue entitlement, Boomers have always had a monopoly on THAT.

I'm positive that PART of the problem is people post very generic questions, (almost like they're too used to Google's intuition). Another PART is that people think this is Social Media. Another PART is that people are lazy, they know the correct answer is here, so it's Google logic that a stupid question, yeilds 20,000 responses, 1 is going to be the right one.

Also these "##+(!*@-+;ers, don't want to try and err, they just want the right answer without understanding why that thing is right.

R

Something I'm noticing more and more in person is folks blurting out questions non-stop that don't seem to have any thought given to their formulation, like they just blurt out whatever has popped into their head without any critical thinking process being applied. Anyone else notice this? Answering these gets real tiring and seems unproductive.
This is sort of the above described google effect only IRL.

Something I'm noticing more and more in person is folks blurting out questions non-stop that don't seem to have any thought given to their formulation, like they just blurt out whatever has popped into their head without any critical thinking process being applied. Anyone else notice this?

Having been married, I would have to say yes.

Something I'm noticing more and more in person is folks blurting out questions non-stop that don't seem to have any thought given to their formulation, like they just blurt out whatever has popped into their head without any critical thinking process being applied. Anyone else notice this? Answering these gets real tiring and seems unproductive.
This is sort of the above described google effect only IRL.

Like a 2 year old?

People probably get a little dopamine rush. Here's a question, notice me . . . thanks . . . here's another question, notice me . . . Lots of studies show that there's less delayed gratification and reduced attention spans courtesy of our new media. Click, tweet, send . . .

Gerbil! Greased!

:)

Seriously... "we" are doing it to ourselves. And there is a better explanation than so far cited.
We hear of the 'trigger" event for the initial Dunning-Kruger research - one McArthur Wheeler, who robbed TWO Pittsburgh, PA banks without disguising himself. He believed that since lemon juice was used for invisible ink, wiping it on his face would make him invisible to the security cameras.

Wait one.

Pittsburgh had no patent on this.. ISTR it was in Sweden a robber held up a bank and - one supposes so he did not risk getting caught red-handed with the loot nor dye-packet marked, simply asked them to EFT the money into his account.

Now.. the REAL PROBLEM is... a person does NOT have to be dumber than a box of rocks to get blindsided.

Even very smart folks can fall to the same problem when they THINK they know something and are unaware of RELATED information. Too narrow a focus is all it takes, and one is vulnerable.

Here's why "the internet" is one of the contributors to those vulnerabilities:

How the Dunning-Kruger Effect Explains Our Ignorance Today -- Science of Us

What really pisses me of the most is the EU - UK enforced Cookie notices, then the NEW GDPR bullshit. Hello its the fucking internet, if you want to remain anonymous don't fucking log on. Before long were going to have to fill a fucking form in to get loo roll to say we understand that its only for wiping shit off bums and not for eating. Some point man kinds gotta grow a pair, if woman kind and anything between wants equality, they also need to grow a pair and understand there interactions and its effects in a modern world.

Part of haveing advantage of all the worlds knowledge is also sharing that back, theres no free lunch in this world, never has been.

Idk....I'm more annoyed when I post a question that seems like it's a straight up easy question but I'm looking for experiences.

I asked my Facebook friends if there was a good program that people recommended for monitoring bandwidth from various programs.

I got my first lmgtfy link...I can google it....I was hoping that a more experienced person might actually recommend their preference.

For bandwidth monitoring ( I haven't implemented this yet but researched to the point where I'm ready to buy):

Look at Untangle firewall - it can run on about any hardware or you can buy it in appliance form.

If you're interested in other software-defined networking features as well as deep packet inspection, look at the Ubiquiti Unifi product family. The Unifi firewall does DPI on web traffic, and they have some nice wireless APs and management software.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't think google induced brain rot affects just the milennials...

Was in a nearby small town library, in walks qty (2) older Amish
women.

Both yacking on cell phones (appear to be legal in the Amish community,
the speed in which it has spread through the local Amish population is amazing)

Librarian explains the rules and points to large sign "no cell phones"
and tells them to "take it outside".

To which they did....whilst I stayed inside reading.....

I can now describe to you every little detail of her recent
appendicitis operation....you'd thought she was calling in an
air strike......:ack2:

Ignorance is very common today, it cut's across all ages, races,
ethnicities, religions, etc.

Last edited:
Tried to follow the two links in your post but got scared, dont want to end up in NPR's lists. Just goes to show how little I understand life on the net. Interesting questions no doubt.
fusker

Hasn't affected me in the least.....and I used to work at an NPR station.....:crazy:

Put them on the air every night at 4:00 p.m.

Is it just me or when a brand new poster here asks a vague question he gets mad when folks ask for details. He seems confused that we would want more information to decide on a a correct answer. Then he says everyone here is a "*********".
Not everyone who responded but everyone on the site.
And why "*********"? I do not really consider machinist a wildly popular occupation for homosexuals. If this was a interior decorating site I would understand the response, maybe.
Bill D

For bandwidth monitoring ( I haven't implemented this yet but researched to the point where I'm ready to buy):

Look at Untangle firewall - it can run on about any hardware or you can buy it in appliance form.

If you're interested in other software-defined networking features as well as deep packet inspection, look at the Ubiquiti Unifi product family. The Unifi firewall does DPI on web traffic, and they have some nice wireless APs and management software.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks!!!

I think what pissed me off the most is I had never heard of lmgtfy....and the friend that recommended it was a computer tech nerd, so, I thought I had my answer.

It wasn't til a couple days later when I went to download "lmgtfy" that I realized he was just being a smartsss.

Is it just me or when a brand new poster here asks a vague question he gets mad when folks ask for details. He seems confused that we would want more information to decide on a a correct answer. Then he says everyone here is a "*********".
Not everyone who responded but everyone on the site.
And why "*********"? I do not really consider machinist a wildly popular occupation for homosexuals. If this was a interior decorating site I would understand the response, maybe.
Bill D

When I read that original post from whomever that was (cannot remember the username) I knew right then it's someone in their 50's (age). All of the postings of that person reek of 1980's nostalgia. Back then, the word '*********' (in that age group anyway) did not mean homosexual. It meant 'idiot', dumba##, and things like that. Sometimes we would refer to one another as '*********'. If I could find that username, I would PM him, or her, and if I was correct on my age guess, I would win the prize, whatever that might be.
I do agree with your post referring to vague questions....seems to be the popular thing these days.

I am in my late 50's and I grew up in the San Francisco bay area. I agree that as a teen the term "*********" was sort of a generic insult that we used but did not know what it meant just it was bad to be called one. In My twenties I understood it to be a insulting term for the male homosexuals. Soon after they discovered AIDS and "************" took on a new connotation I suppose.
Old British movies the slang term "*********" meant cigarette?
Bill D.

I am in my late 50's and I grew up in the San Francisco bay area. I agree that as a teen the term "*********" was sort of a generic insult that we used but did not know what it meant just it was bad to be called one. In My twenties I understood it to be a insulting term for the male homosexuals. Soon after they discovered AIDS and "************" took on a new connotation I suppose.
Old British movies the slang term "*********" meant cigarette?
Bill D.

Yeah, when I went to Scotland about 12 years ago I walked into a pub and was asked by a guy there "Can I bum a *********?". Was not sure if he was joking till I saw him staring at my cigarette and it all made sense.

Back