What's new
What's new

OT- Will cracked screen iPhone 7 have a normal lifespan ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I finally cracked one (normal size iPhone 7)... just one crack but it spans the width of the screen....phone still works fine however and just wondering if it is likely to keep working fine, as the crack doesn't bother me much....but might be a problem if the phone went kaput far from home all of a sudden because of it someday.

How deep the crack is and whether or not moisture will penetrate into the electronics underneath the glass is what will determine the lifespan.
I've had a cracked screen before, kept the phone for 2 years after, no issues.

Almost everone I know who is in construction has a cracked phone, some look like they were hit with a hammer and still work fine, again no guarantee on but I dont think these guys replaced until contract was up.

It will be fine

About 25 bucks and newer iphones are 'wicked easy' to replace. Once you have done it you will never pay anyone to do it again

As much as I hate almost all youtube videos, they are perfect for this

i have an old 4s as a toolbox phone, I had paid to have it fixed once.
Cracked it again

Turns out they left out half the damn screws

There are 2 little screws next to the lightning port, and the whole screen pops out and flips up

bunch of tiny screws to remove little shields and viola, you are done

some pretty amazing velcro like connectors that you won't believe you are putting back together right....

About 25 bucks and newer iphones are 'wicked easy' to replace. Once you have done it you will never pay anyone to do it again

He's right. They are very easy to replace, but having the right tool does make a good bit of difference. Iphone kit

But to answer you're original question, the crack in the screen shouldn't affect the life span of the phone. However, it does make it much easier to crack again, and again until it doesn't work anymore. i would also add a tempered glass screen protector, they are only ten bucks and it will prevent screen cracks "sometimes".

....but might be a problem if the phone went kaput far from home all of a sudden because of it someday.

I keep an old phone with me nearly at all times, just for that reason. I'm really rough on phones (I don't believe in cases) but I do travel a lot, and the hassle of going without a phone - especially if you're away from home - shouldn't be something you worry about.

Find, or buy an older phone on ebay/craigslist, and put it in your glove box, back-pack, tool-bag, suit-case, or whatever you typically have with you. Just make sure they share the same charger. If anything happens to your 'main' phone, just pull out the backup, call the activation number, and you're back in business...

AND - make sure that you have your phone setup to backup your contacts & other important info to the cloud.

I say that as a guy who lost 2 year's worth of phone numbers last summer, when my phone got wet, and I didn't have my numbers backed up to the cloud, but rather only stored on the device.

I personally use androids, so my short-term replacement was $45 on ebay, and now serves as the "backup" if my current phone ever fails on me.

I'm sure you could find an iPhone 5/5s - for cheap to serve as an emergency backup.

Replacement screens are never as good as the original. If you don’t mind the crack delay fixing it. I also travel with a few spares and just trade them out. I have replaced close to a hundred screens since 2010 and learned to reflow on a 4s.

I ran over my Daughters I-phone with my wheelchair. The screen was shattered with 3/4 screen damaged, still worked but useless. Went online and found a guy who will meet you at a diner, while you drink coffee, he replaces the screen for $35. Took 15 minutes.

I ran over my Daughters I-phone with my wheelchair. The screen was shattered with 3/4 screen damaged, still worked but useless. Went online and found a guy who will meet you at a diner, while you drink coffee, he replaces the screen for $35. Took 15 minutes.

pictures crawling around floor of diner looking for that lost screw.....

I heard some rumors about newer phones with biometric scanners not being easy or even possible to replace. Has to be programmed by mother Apple. I still roll a 5c so no first hand knowledge.

I heard some rumors about newer phones with biometric scanners not being easy or even possible to replace. Has to be programmed by mother Apple. I still roll a 5c so no first hand knowledge.

You cannot replace the button on the older ones or lose the fingerprint

since the new ones have a fake button, I think you are correct

Back