What's new
What's new

Machine mover recommendation from NC to NY

S-K Speed

Plastic
Looking to move a 10,000lb bedmill from NC to NY.The prices seem to be all over the place.
U-ship is scary,as they all had low bids last week,now retracted them and they doubled.
Some machine dealers say $1,000 and other companies say $3,000.Why the huge spread?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

.Why the huge spread?
Depends on how many people are stepping on it. Driver gets $500, if there's a broker he adds another $750, if the guy you talk to has a friend who knows a guy who once went out with a truck driver, each one of them doubles the price.

The whole trucking thing sucks balls. If you ever come across an independent guy who actually does the trucking himself, hang onto him. Cherish him and send him a Christmas turkey and a box of cigars once in a while. The trucking industy is a shit lasagna.

NYC or NYS ?

Beeg difference, the last 20 miles of the journey.

U-ship just is a trucker, not a machinery mover.

Emanuel I know what you mean.We had an old time racer that ran up and down the east coast.He would drop off and pickup engines for us when we were big into the offshore powerboat circuit.He is now retired about 10 years but was my first call just in case.Doug,I am in the middle of long island new york,about 40 miles from the city.
The u-ship thing is a yo-yo right now.They undercut each other by the hour,than retract the bids and start all over.
I did get a decent quote from lts transit today,but now I need to contact them to see how much insurance is on it and some other questions.This is a pain in the *ss finding someone to get this thing here.

If anyone has contacts,please please share their info.I'm am losing hair by the hour

If you haven't found a solution yet, contact Cavalry Logistics
They are a broker, and still can be a pain, but are better than most.

We deal with trucking companies and brokers on a daily basis. I'd never use U-Ship for anything, I've heard too many horror stories.

Part of the huge price swing has to do with many factors. Price depends on if the driver has a backhaul from your location, if he has other pieces heading that way that he can combine on the load, if he's trying to get home and headed your way, or of course, they are just trying to screw you. You can expect to pay $2-$3 per mile, or more. It cost roughly $1.40 or so just for the trucker to cover his expenses.

I bought my shear from federal machine on long island. Talk to Ron there, he is hooked up with shippers. Also another company there called grand Marshall Machinery and then are a large used equipment dealer. Both will probably be able to get you more secure transport.

Sometimes it's not the price that matters if your machine arrives in worse condition than it shipped.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I have moved a few things from New York City to Indiana and Florida to Indiana. Much to my surprise-- I got a better one source for loading/hauling with Pedowitz Machinery Movers 1-800 794-8817. They have 4 locations across the country and sometimes they combine loads to make it a bit more cost effective.

Chrisco Machinery
Liberty NC
(336) 622-3063

Erik CHRISTENBURY

Very good Rigger, not sure if he will 'distance' move though....

Very few riggers will pick up, move, and drop off a small machine like that over such a large distance. It's not worth it. They have to tie up a truck and driver for 2 days, plus half the trip will be empty.

Generally, it's best to get a rigger on one end to load a LTL truck and have a rigger on your end to receive. The more flexible you are on pick up time and transit time, the cheaper it will be.

LTL trucks are great because you share the cost with several other loads. The problem is that they generally show up about the time they feel like it and trying to coordinate them meeting a rigger is not fun.

Call a local rigger and have them co-ordinate the move. They can make arrangements to have the machine picked up transported to an LTL and shipped to the local rigger that you have hired. That local rigger will then deliver the machine to you and place it where you want it. May cost a little more but well worth it.

I have moved a few things from New York City to Indiana and Florida to Indiana. Much to my surprise-- I got a better one source for loading/hauling with Pedowitz Machinery Movers 1-800 794-8817. They have 4 locations across the country and sometimes they combine loads to make it a bit more cost effective.

I will second Pedowitz for the East Coast. They are moving a 100" Blanchard for me from N.C. to Milwaukee. I had used them as well to move a Mattison from N.H. to Milwaukee. They have all the big equipment and trucking.

I will second Pedowitz for the East Coast. They are moving a 100" Blanchard for me from N.C. to Milwaukee. I had used them as well to move a Mattison from N.H. to Milwaukee. They have all the big equipment and trucking.

I will 3rd Pedowitz they are good guys - also I have used a truck broker Jay at Action Transport he is excellent 541-324-4448 very good communication and price - he just moved a Haas VF-4 and a 300 Ton Press from NC to MI

Back