What's new
What's new

New Machine Day! Erowa ERC80 Robot for our Okuma MU4000V

Edster

Diamond
We got a new toy for our Okuma MU4000V. An Erowa ERC80 robot to load and unload 148mm Powerchuck P Pallets. We already had the Powerchuck P chuck mounted to the machine and the air lines plumbed through the trunnion. Now we just need the auto door installed and the robot installed. The robot will hold 50 pallets and has the cell controller and RFID chip options. :)

Attachments

• 20180820_153108.jpg
    20180820_153108.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 543
  • 20180821_102058.jpg
    20180821_102058.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 660
  • 20180821_155546.jpg
    20180821_155546.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 587
  • 20180821_155552.jpg
    20180821_155552.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 634
  • 20180821_155717.jpg
    20180821_155717.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 684
A few more pics

Attachments

• 20180822_114333.jpg
    20180822_114333.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 543
  • 20180822_132127.jpg
    20180822_132127.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 531
  • 20180822_133146.jpg
    20180822_133146.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 499
  • 20180822_134912.jpg
    20180822_134912.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 706
  • 20180822_134926.jpg
    20180822_134926.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 587
The cell controller needs a customer supplied pc. Any ideas for a shopfloor style fanless pc with a built in touchscreen.

There were also a couple memory cards I didn't recognize. Anyone know what type these (pictured in the last two pics) are.

Attachments

• 20180822_135056.jpg
    20180822_135056.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 20180822_135116.jpg
    20180822_135116.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 484
  • 20180822_144801.jpg
    20180822_144801.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 549
  • 20180824_092556.jpg
    20180824_092556.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 20180824_092726.jpg
    20180824_092726.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 384
Best of German and Japanese...

You are going to be Sooooooo organized and systematic it's scary !

Congrats!!!

How much more awesomeness can you pour on that machine ;-)

Rockin those lang makro-grips.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Retrofit for automation didn't have to be ordered up front ? On your MU ?

The cell controller needs a customer supplied pc. Any ideas for a shopfloor style fanless pc with a built in touchscreen.

There were also a couple memory cards I didn't recognize. Anyone know what type these (pictured in the last two pics) are.

I just went and bought 2 Dell All in One computers for ours that have touch screen. Working fine for a year now.
I have two Erowa cells (1 loading each grob). You will be happy once its installed :).

Congrats! Now where'd you get those wood-topped rolling cabinets from the third to last picture? We've been looking for something similar and I'm having trouble finding one through out normal suppliers.

Congrats! Now where'd you get those wood-topped rolling cabinets from the third to last picture? We've been looking for something similar and I'm having trouble finding one through out normal suppliers.

Both Craftsman (Sears) and Kobalt (Lowe's) have boxes like that.

Those cards look like USB. Germany has them like that where the USB thing actually folds out to stick into the computer.

Samsung and other companies have made promo materials like that for years, too.

You should be able to swing the part that looks like a SIM card out, one way or the other, and stick it into a USB port.

Best of German and Japanese...

You are going to be Sooooooo organized and systematic it's scary !

Congrats!!!

How much more awesomeness can you pour on that machine ;-)

Rockin those lang makro-grips.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Retrofit for automation didn't have to be ordered up front ? On your MU ?

The robot interface and air through the trunnion can be added in the field. When the tech was out and took the trunnion apart I wondered why Okuma wouldn't just add air when the machine was built. Then I realized they have a lot of options for what goes through the trunnion. Different numbers of air circuits, hydraulics, etc. So it makes sense to leave it a blank slate.

My machine was a demo machine sitting on Morris Midwest's floor when I bought it. But I did plan the automation when I was buying the machine. I negotiated the robot interface and air through the trunnion with the machine purchase. Shortly after the machine install, they installed the robot interface and air through the trunnion. Then I bought the erowa powerchuck p (on eBay for a song) adaptor plate, and a couple pallets and vises. A few months later I bought the robot, which was 8+ week wait from Switzerland.

The robot interface and air through the trunnion can be added in the field. When the tech was out and took the trunnion apart I wondered why Okuma wouldn't just add air when the machine was built. Then I realized they have a lot of options for what goes through the trunnion. Different numbers of air circuits, hydraulics, etc. So it makes sense to leave it a blank slate.

My machine was a demo machine sitting on Morris Midwest's floor when I bought it. But I did plan the automation when I was buying the machine. I negotiated the robot interface and air through the trunnion with the machine purchase. Shortly after the machine install, they installed the robot interface and air through the trunnion. Then I bought the erowa powerchuck p (on eBay for a song) adaptor plate, and a couple pallets and vises. A few months later I bought the robot, which was 8+ week wait from Switzerland.

That's superb !

The one to the left is a Storloc box. It's a beast, with forklift channels, and 200+ pound drawer capacity. At Fabtech one year they had a salesman standing in a drawer. They are made in kankakee Illinois, about 45min from my shop. They are a good value too. That box is 6' wide, and it was around 4k.

The other box is a 40" wide snapon box. They are nice but the sheetmetal is quite a bit thinner than the storloc box. They were an ok value when they were on sale for 1200. Now they are closer to 2k which is a rippoff in my opinion.

Stor-Loc Modular Drawer Systems

The one to the left is a Storloc box. It's a beast, with forklift channels, and 200+ pound drawer capacity. At Fabtech one year they had a salesman standing in a drawer. They are made in kankakee Illinois, about 45min from my shop. They are a good value too. That box is 6' wide, and it was around 4k.

The other box is a 40" wide snapon box. They are nice but the sheetmetal is quite a bit thinner than the storloc box. They were an ok value when they were on sale for 1200. Now they are closer to 2k which is a rippoff in my opinion.

Stor-Loc Modular Drawer Systems

I can vouch for Stor-Locs. They are excellent. We found out about them through Maritool when we filmed there a few years back. They have a huge bank of them and are also a distributor.

We got a new toy for our Okuma MU4000V. An Erowa ERC80 robot to load and unload 148mm Powerchuck P Pallets. We already had the Powerchuck P chuck mounted to the machine and the air lines plumbed through the trunnion. Now we just need the auto door installed and the robot installed. The robot will hold 50 pallets and has the cell controller and RFID chip options. :)

Very nice.

How clean are the pallets when they get reloaded into the magazine? I'm thinking an errant steel chip here and there can scratch up those beautiful aluminum trays over time. Have you thought about sending those trays out for Type III hard coat? It'll add about 0.0015-0.002 thickness, but for a few hundred $$ will pretty much make them scratch free for the life of the machine.

Any chance you could a share a ballpark price on the system?

If you haven't fully tooled up all 50 pallets, send me an PM or email. Would love to work with you on a project like that if you're willing to be a beta tester.

Very nice.

How clean are the pallets when they get reloaded into the magazine? I'm thinking an errant steel chip here and there can scratch up those beautiful aluminum trays over time. Have you thought about sending those trays out for Type III hard coat? It'll add about 0.0015-0.002 thickness, but for a few hundred $$ will pretty much make them scratch free for the life of the machine.

If you haven't fully tooled up all 50 pallets, send me an PM or email. Would love to work with you on a project like that if you're willing to be a beta tester.

Love that hard coat and you can even surface grind/ lapp back if you need a smooth/hard/ precise contact surface as well.

There are a couple of 5 axis systems/ verticals that integrate with that Erowa tower, so ball park prices would be super awesome/ informative/ useful to plan around.

I know Edster is super clever and patient about getting some real smok'n deals from his local Okuma peeps/dealers.

Very nice.

I'm interested if you have some new solutions. Im planning on adding another 50 pallets between my two Erowa cells before the end of the year.

I'm curious about how long it takes to prepare stock to mount to the erowa pallets that go in the robot. (Depends a little on the pallet type and the part?)

With as many as 50 parts to be made in a batch, how large a tool changer do you need?

Oh, and a 3rd thumbs up for storloc.

Thanks for the pointer for the Stor-Loc stuff; I've gotta put another order in to Maritool this week so I'll call and ask about those. It'd be nice if Frank did NET 30 accounts; the CFO is on my ass about not buying stuff on credit and I really hate having to buy through MSC or another big box store just because of that. Plus I like Frank's product.

Morris did everything they possibly could to put an Okuma 5-axis on my floor, but they are staying my go-to turning/swiss-turn guys for now. I knew I had to step up to a MU (from the Genos M460V-5AX we were considering) for the automation and ended up with a Matuura instead (we bought a Yamazen IMTS machine). Yours does look like a really nice setup!

Back