What's new
What's new

Drilling holes with a jig bore

Miguels244

Diamond
The cost of a jig bore is low compares to a good drill press.
For small, sub 1/2” holes is a jig bore suitable?
In particular for small holes, sub 1/4 is it a good mix between a sensitive drill and a drill press?
I can always buy a big cheap beater drill press for hogging holes, but the cost for a good precision press is well above a solid used bore.

Any how, the summary is...
If I get a small jig bore will I also need a really good small sensitive drill pres.

I'd hardly refer to my 15,000 Lb Jig Bore as sensitive, but it was enough so to not break 3/32 tip of center drill in 364 spots that I later turned into grooves with a 3/32 carbide ball end mill.

This repair job is in service

Attachments

• P1000456sm.jpg
    P1000456sm.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 234
Jig borers are very accurate but slow to operate. For bog standard drilling work you want a good drill press.

I suppose it depends if you're tinkering around in your own time or trying to make some money. If your shop is a hobby style shop get a jig borer, if you're working to make a living get a drill press.

Just my opinion.

Regards Tyrone.

Answer is yes. I've drilled many small holes on jig bores and bridgeports. For really tiny drills I like to use a finger chuck.

Attachments

• chuck.jpg
    chuck.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 116
I used to use my BP for all drilling. Sold the 1/2" DP. But a few months ago I found a Burgmaster 6 spindle Turret Drill press. Its the smallest one, Max drill size is 1/4, and now use it every chance I can. Position accuracy is up to operator, but really handy for a string of holes, then countersink , Tap.

I have a Moore #3 that would make a dandy small drill press. I think my largest chuck is 1/2" capacity. In some ways its better than a drill press, as the counterbalanced head is much easier to move up and down than the table on a drill press.

The biggest drawback of a Moore is the tool retention method prohibits reversing the spindle. Taping would require a tapping head. The weight could be another drawback, but if its within the capacity of your forklift weight is immaterial.

I have a Moore #3 that would make a dandy small drill press. I think my largest chuck is 1/2" capacity. In some ways its better than a drill press, as the counterbalanced head is much easier to move up and down than the table on a drill press.

The biggest drawback of a Moore is the tool retention method prohibits reversing the spindle. Taping would require a tapping head. The weight could be another drawback, but if its within the capacity of your forklift weight is immaterial.

Nothing a big drill press wouldn’t bridge.
I keep looking at the “sensitive drill presses” but a 1-1/2 Moore is the same price and has a hell of a lot more capabilities.

Back