What's new
What's new

Restoring a Devilbiss 432 compressor

Brookpoint

Plastic
Hello all. I'm new to the site and forums in general so please bear with me. I just bought an old 432 Devilbiss compressor, just the pump and tank, no motor. I'm planning on making a winter project out of it. I'm looking for any information on the unit. It is complete with the exception of the motor and air cleaner. Any knowledge and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I like compressors so yes please post pictures. My take on old compressors is you have to be determined in hunting. Sometimes you run into a shop or a person who can really help you with info or parts, but finding that person can be a challenge. Have never worked on a Devilbiss compressors so have no idea on where to begin. But I have shied away from them because of potential parts problems. I restored a 1940ish {sold to company in Chicago in 1941} Champion and the parts were still not easy to come by. Actually they were not a problem it was getting in touch with the right person who cross referenced the parts and found them for me. Up until that time most people shrugged their shoulders and said "unobtainium".

Fast forward I bought a Gardner Denver towable from 1967 and was getting nowhere finding parts for this or another similar towable GD from 1973 that I was working on at same time. Finally a local compressor company {the president of company} turned me on to a shop in Milw, Wi who was able to help with both compressors. The point I am taking so long getting to is be willing to search and follow leads. You may already have a good source of info and parts if your lucky.

As alluded to already the pressure tanks do rot out and if you get a leaker there is not a real safe way to fix them. Some of the old compressors had very HD tanks in comparison to newer mfg tanks. Just something to be aware of. Remember we like pictures! Regards, John.

Thank you for the response fellas. I still have the compressor in the back of my truck (under the cap) so I can't get great pictures right now. I will post some as soon as I have some help to unload it. This thing is incredibly heavy. I would dare say that the head alone weighs more than my 25 year old Devilbiss 80 gallon compressor, tank and all. I'm looking into hydrostatic testing the tank before I spend much time messing with it. As far as the pump goes, it was supposedly in working order when the motor went. I have found rebuild kits listed online but until I tear it apart I really have no idea of condition or the major parts (crank, cylinders etc). I'm hoping it's salvageable. The older I get the more I like and appreciate the quality of US made machines, of all shapes and sizes.
I have to finish up last winters project (1968 Minneapolis Moline M670 Super Diesel) before I dive into this one. I rescued that one from the bushes December 2nd of last year and have been working on it since. Thanks again for the interest and info and I will be sure to post some pictures when I get a chance.

It's a Moline engine. To my knowledge MM never used the Detroit in their units; that is until White swallowed them and Oliver up. Oliver used them in some applications, and there's a time period toward where MM and Oliver's were definitely sharing design features so I may be mistaken on that.
I bought the 670 from a neighbor that had parked it "about a year ago" which was actually closer to ten years ago, because of a leaky radiator. We dragged it out of the bushes with his IH 806 and he insisted that we could get it going with a little fuel and a few laps around the field. I was skeptical, and rightfully so. After many hot laps, some attempts to get fuel to the pump and some disbelief on his part we made a deal and I towed it home.
The no fuel issue was multi faceted. About 2" of ice in the tank, filters plugged solid with sludge and rust, and you guessed it, a bad injector pump. The chicken or the egg thing comes into play here.
Unfortunately I never got any pictures of the unit in its burdock infested, almost final resting place. I will however post the "beginning" picture and at its current state. I still have several things to button up on it but it's a markedly different tractor than it was a year ago.
How do I post a picture? Is there a link somewhere that I'm overlooking?

Well I tried to post a brief history and some pictures on the Moline but I can't seem to figure out how to load pictures in my post. Cab anyone tell me where to look or how to do that on this site? My apologies for my ignorance. I'm sure it's very simple. Thanks you.

Try this and I can't really go in to exact detail but if I can do it anybody can. I fought it for a while though but it more about me accepting the fact more than learning it. I think it is not the easiest way to load pics but it is what we have. And once you do it a few times it isn't bad at all.

click on "reply" as if you were going to type in new message. scroll down to "go advanced". Click on "manage attachments", click on "choose file". click on picture in your file that you want to post and click on "open". The confusing part for me is that you have to have the file with the pictures you want in order to access them. I often have to play with it a while but once your files with the pics you want to share come up when you click "choose file" your in business. Then click "preview post" to make sure they show up or you did things correctly. Once you get the hang of it is easy. I am electronically challenged so it takes me a while to grasp what a grade school kid can do in seconds. Good luck. John. PS I had to run through this to make sure it works the way I said to do it. When preview post go to second set of "additional options", other wise you pictures maybe are loaded to go but won't show up. Hope this makes sense?

Attachments

• 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 309
Ok.john I made it as far as "go advanced" and still no way to load any images. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm using a phone as my computer. I also wonder why it says plastic under my username? Any idea? Bian B. thanks for the link. I will definitely check that out, and again thanks for everyone's patience with a beginner here.

Don't ask me how but I think I figured it out. The first image is a "before" and the next is the tractor in its current state, well it's back off the jack stands now. I have a ton more pictures of the restoration including some fab work on the fenders if anyone would be interested.

Attachments

• 20180412_202238.jpg
    20180412_202238.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 193
  • 20180901_162056.jpg
    20180901_162056.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 281
I did get around to unloading the compressor tank today. I figured I would shoot a few pictures while I was at it. They're not the best, especially the pump, which is still in the back of the truck.

Anyway, here they are. I hope they end up being worth while. If not I only gave $150 for the unit so it won't hurt quite as bad.20181106_165116.jpg20181106_165215.jpg

Brian. I watched your video series on the Devilbiss restore. Great job on the compressor and the video itself. We've got a few other things in common. I too have a shop helper. Mine is a bit older (14 years) and yellow. I also have a first gen cummins, but mine isn't a repower. Your shop is also far above mine but I'm working on it year by year. Again, great job on the old unit and documenting it. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you when I dive into the 432 pump.

Back