What's new
What's new

Old Turner Uni Drive Lathe Needs Saving

PracticeMachine

Plastic
Its very old and its complete. Even the ones in English museums are missing parts and they are not as old as this Lathe. History: Made in England. Brought to America. It sat unused in a building for a very long time. About turner: it made premium lathes that cost a lot of money. They were used in factories and were spoken about in trade journals. They made very good products that used the best parts,ie Furnas switch(Siemens(German) bought Furnas). The Turner company was bought and finally ended up being part of the giant Caterpillar company. There is a historical Turner museum in England. Lathe Turner? 84” long x 38”d x 65”h monster machine! for Sale in Hayward, CA - OfferUp

Sorry, I don’t understand the reference to a Nicole, Also, I’m brand new here. Just Hours old

digger doug: Internet Troll, there is an ignore setting for this babble.

Turner Unidrive: Lathe drive unit that converts the lathe from being driven by an overhead line shaft to a stand-alone unit powered by an electric motor.

John

digger doug: Internet Troll, there is an ignore setting for this babble.

Turner Unidrive: Lathe drive unit that converts the lathe from being driven by an overhead line shaft to a stand-alone unit powered by an electric motor.

John

John, thank you for the troll issue and thank you for clearing that up! So this is an old lathe with a Turner Unidrive added to it.

A Turner lathe expert in England just wrote me to say the lathe does not look like a Turner lathe made in England

Well, so it’s an old unknown lathe. It’s a shame that my it maybe headed for the scrap heap. It was probably used in World War Two. The world famous Liberty ships were made not too far away. Liberty Ships were made to transport soldiers and supplies to Europe. At first they were made because Churchill asked President Roosevelt to make ships for England because Germans sunk most English ships

About Industrial Gearbox Manufacturer | Turner Uni-Drive

Plas mac.....I fail to grasp the reason for your enthusiasm for Turners of Wolverhampton,unless ,of course ,there was another more worthy Turners,not related.And ,yes,we are talking about the same enterprise,as I see TMC was bought from Dana by Cat.........IMHO,just about everything Turners made was close to second rate ,the tractors were rubbish,the diesel motors were rubbish,the licence built Clark gearboxes were near rubbish,and not a patch on a yankee Clark,the Turner Spicer boxes were rubbish,to the extent Dana gave up on them,and yes,I have had a ride in a Turner Miesse steam car,and it appears they were very tricky to operate ,compared to a Stanley......I am also quite familiar with the Galtona branded stuff they made.....Maybe I am a troll.,who knows.

John, thank you for the troll issue and thank you for clearing that up! So this is an old lathe with a Turner Unidrive added to it.

A Turner lathe expert in England just wrote me to say the lathe does not look like a Turner lathe made in England

Well, so it’s an old unknown lathe. It’s a shame that my it maybe headed for the scrap heap. It was probably used in World War Two. The world famous Liberty ships were made not too far away. Liberty Ships were made to transport soldiers and supplies to Europe. At first they were made because Churchill asked President Roosevelt to make ships for England because Germans sunk most English ships

About Industrial Gearbox Manufacturer | Turner Uni-Drive
Hello Practice Machine, The Libery Ships (Which I have a great respect for) Were not built for England, But built for Great Britain Or if one may call it The United Kingdom, Made up of four constituent countries Namely England, Scotland, Wales , and Northern Ireland, Just saying.

Hello Practice Machine, The Libery Ships (Which I have a great respect for) Were not built for England, But built for Great Britain Or if one may call it The United Kingdom, Made up of four constituent countries Namely England, Scotland, Wales , and Northern Ireland, Just saying.

Hello Cutting Oil, thank you for noticing. I was going to write Britain or the United Kingdom but then I thought Churchill really just needed Liberty Ships for England and most people many readers may not know U.K but they know England. Also Great Britain ended in the 1800’s Kingdom of Great Britain - Wikipedia

Anyone recognize what the lathe is? Looks like a good starter lathe for someone.
I wish i knew. I spent over an hour looking at old pictures. The big difference with this lathe is the controls are different than most lathes

And I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had space for it. It’s built strong and the nickel plating can look almost new by soaking nickel plated parts in an electrolytes (water mixed with washing soda. Washing soda can be made at home from baking soda) connected to a battery or a battery maintainer the right way . ( youtube has videos)

Its a Hendley. Late 1800’s to very early 1900’s. Probably older than 110 years

Nope, not a Hendey

A pass thru here will show why

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1920-Hendey-manual.pdf

Even disregarding the later "range" or "compound" gear box to left of QC gearbox - photos in this thread show it has items NOT Hendey

Like the transfer box (with lever) to right of QC gear box

Like the walls of the head stock casting built up to spindle centerline

Last edited:
Too nice to scrap.

should have enough appeal to make it worth selling it. Seems complete and even has the steady.
Be a fine garage or basement machine...pretty good capacity in a relatively lightweight(assuming the 1400lbs) package that would be easy to break down to very manageable components.
The unidrive is cool too.

Back