What's new
What's new

Assistance needed in Long Island, Suffolk County, New York (LOTS of Equipment)

pbrtwo

Plastic
My brother recently passed away so now I'm going through his workshop and could please use some help with pricing the machinery for sale.

Thanks to all for the feedback on my other post. So here is the "Assistance Needed" Post.

Please remember it is like reading Greek.... do not know what a steady rest, headstock, tailstock, etc. - basically anything.

So based on feedback and since you all know what you are doing, looking to find someone who is near by (located in Suffolk County on Long Island in NY) who can help with in person identification and pricing? Is this forum the place to find a member who is honest and reliable and knows what they are looking at in identifying and pricing the equipment? Could pay the person a couple hundred bucks for the help.

The estate sale for the lower level of the house is in February but it feels like these are more specialty items with specific buyers.

When the time comes, it is LOCAL PICK UP ONLY & MUST bring manpower to move from garage to your truck/vehicle. The good news is most every piece of equipment in the workshops are on wheels, dollies, carts, etc. so they roll but these items are still particularly heavy.

Spent a TON of time taking photos today so below is a link to an album created on Google Pictures with subheadings. Hopefully you can view the album and all the pics.

The following items are included in the pics:
1. South Bend Lathe - 9 inch Model A w/ Bed Length 3 1/2 (On a cart with tons of other stuff?)
2. South Bend Lathe - 9 inch 3 foot bed
3. Starrett Levels - BRAND New (NEVER used)
4. Unknown Equipment Item
5. Clausing
6. BOYAR SCHULTZ HORIZONTAL SURFACE GRINDER 6'' X 12''
7. Pexto Metal Bender (Metal Brake?)
8. Dunlap 1/4 HP Ball Bearing Split Phase Grinder
9. Keller Die Filler Model 1A
10. Machinist Books
11. Fairbanks Ward Metal Cutting Band Saw
12. Cabinet filled with accessories
13. Misc. Stuff???

Thanks so much!!

Equipment - Google Photos

Last edited:
You will probably get a bunch Of emails- ignore them.
recommend waiting for a well established member to reply here first.

i wish you the best and condolences.

Thank you.

Below are just a few photos for folks to see - the issue is the forum only lets you upload 5 photos at a time and there are a total of 86 which is too much to upload which is why I created the Google Album.

Looking to find someone who is near by (located in Suffolk County on Long Island in NY) who can help with in person identification and pricing?

Hoping this forum the place to find a member who is honest and reliable and knows what they are looking at in identifying and pricing the equipment.

Could pay the person a couple hundred bucks for the help.

Many Thanks for any and all help!!

And here is the link to my original post:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-model-catalog-644z-bed-lenth-3-1-2-a-358609/

20181228_092202.jpg20181228_091606.jpg20181228_090119.jpg20181228_085327.jpg20181228_082812.jpg

That mill looks really nice, and is a good example of why you need help.
A lot of the mills tooling is with the 9A lathe...I see a drawbar,rotary table and a tilting table,angle plats.....there is a LOT there....I think I even see a disassembled South Bend 10" lathe too.

help I'm sure will be along, I have faith.:)

Wow, you have a lot of stuff, I bet lots of members here would love to help, I know I would but live to far away{Utah}.
Surely there is a lathe person in Long Island that will respond.

Okay, Your need for expert help just went up 10 x.

You have a completely disassembled South bend lathe. Lord knows where all the parts are.

The thing with the worm gear and the wheel with all the holes is part of a dividing head. This is an accessory for the mill that is used to cut gear teeth or make a hex headed bolt. It divides a circle into equal amounts for 2 to hundreds per revolution.
Those are nice, but that one piece by itself is near worthless, All the parts for it in one pile, $20, assembled and working $100.

All those loose parts could bring good money sold off piecemeal on ebay, but it would take years to sell them all and you have to know what you have.

It looks to me like a good option for you might be to sell the machinery, etc. on an auction. You definitely need professional help to keep from getting totally ripped off. You are likely going to be overwhelmed with low ball offers - there are those who live to prey on others who don't know what they have - don't be a victim, get help.

Agree with the auction idea. I am local - In suffolk county - but not an expert. I have a general idea of prices. A lot depends on how long yo are willing to wait, but a few of these items you pictured are super desirable - the small Clausing mill and the 9A will all the bells and whistles for example.

There is a tool swap on the 8th of january - you are likely to meet some folks there who, would likely be interested in buying and/or assisting you

But, 100% agree - auction is the way to go.

I would be very weary about going the auction route. I'm sure there are some auction companies out there that could handle a sale of this type well, but most of the larger, professional auction companies only handle much bigger sales. Many of the smaller auction companies are kinda shady and just want to make a quick buck while putting in as little work as possible. I've attended a lot small, estate sale type auctions, and most of the time the stuff is not cataloged or displayed correctly, and the auctions are not advertised very well. Usually, this results in very low sale prices. For instance, at a similar auction last summer, I picked up a 9a, in great condition, complete with taper attachment, steady rest, and a bunch of tooling, for less than $300. I had no interest in the machine at the time, but for that price I couldn't pass on it.

I would be very weary about going the auction route. I'm sure there are some auction companies out there that could handle a sale of this type well, but most of the larger, professional auction companies only handle much bigger sales. Many of the smaller auction companies are kinda shady and just want to make a quick buck while putting in as little work as possible. I've attended a lot small, estate sale type auctions, and most of the time the stuff is not cataloged or displayed correctly, and the auctions are not advertised very well. Usually, this results in very low sale prices. For instance, at a similar auction last summer, I picked up a 9a, in great condition, complete with taper attachment, steady rest, and a bunch of tooling, for less than $300. I had no interest in the machine at the time, but for that price I couldn't pass on it.

Point is well made and taken. All auction companies are not equal. It's too bad we can't just rest assured that people we deal with are honest, but welcome to the real world.

Agree with what Derek said. Parts are disassembled and not organised
They will be placed in small lots and sold for next to nothing if the auction route is taken. It's certainly gonna require a good evaluation to arrive at a fair/good value of everything. It maybe worth while to sell all to a individual after fair value is determined. This collection appears to have quite a bit of nicer machinery and tooling desired by smaller shops and or homme shops. Good luck with everything. Hodge

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Here is the deal - my brother passed away 3 months ago (at age 50) and my dad passed away 4 years ago (at age 73). All of their tools and equipment are co-mingled together in the two workshops.

The two workshops represent 50+ years of woodworking and mechanic items (my dad's stuff) plus 25+ machinist items (my brother's stuff). The two of them had a system of organization which made sense to them but not to me. And I am more familiar with my dad's items than my brother's items which is why I posted on this site.

The timetable is set since the house needs to be put up for sale in May.

The Estate Sale company I am working with wants to do their best since their profits are based on how much everything sells for during the sale. The main contact at the company and myself are doing research since these machinist items are so different. Due to the shear volume of tools and equipment plus other stuff, two sales are going to be held - one in mid-February and one in late April. The Estate Sale company is also trying to find folks who want items to purchase them before the official sale dates. And the Estate Sale company is also OK with me selling items - again due to the shear volume.

Whatever doesn't sell between the two sales will end up in either in a regular dumpster or a metals dumpster for a mixed rate.

At the end of the day, my goal is to try to earn a fair price for my mom who has now buried her husband and son in the past 4 years. And also find good homes for the equipment and tools - both my dad and brother were proud of their items and craft so it helps to know it will be appreciated.

NET - You know the background and timetable and I know it is not ideal but it is what it is at this point. Hoping an expert who lives near by could be paid a few hundred dollars to come help price the items before mid-February. Any experts who can help please?

Many thanks!

Off LIE it would be Exit 64 for Route 112 but it's the North Shore.
So usually take Northern State to Route 454 to Route 347.

Happy New Year!

Jim - Just wondering if you are near me on LI and able to help at all?

Many thanks!!!

Hello pbrtwo,
A friend of mine who is also a member of this forum mentioned this thread to me. I'm in the Western NY area and have been looking for a small Atlas or Clausing vertical mill. Once you get situated with respect to accessories, price, etc. I would be seriously interested in speaking with you on your Clausing mill. Thanks.

Back