What's new
What's new

W & S Surprise

30yearoldjunk

Plastic
The pump company next door to my shop wanted to sell a 3A and a 4A, and after 34 years of wanting a lathe I happily wrote a check and we move the machines.
I call the nice gentleman at Gahr, he tells me these were built in 1934!
I'm thinking the lathes were updated before they showed up at the pump shop in the early 1950's. The research is going to be a cheap thrill.
I'm still happy!
I may change my handle to 85yearoldjunk....

Our 2A & 3A were early 50' and rebuilt in the 60's. The 2 1/4" 5 spindle bar machine was bought new from W&S in 1947.

Hope there will be photos.

RF

Those are large machines for the category. Should move much metal! My ambition (which will remain unfulfilled until I get a bigger shop) is to score a #4 or a #2A, for the bar capacity.

Hell of a pair of or machines for your first 'lathes'! :D

If you could post the pics directly would be great, just so the thread wont turn into one those where the pics disappear in time. Defo keep the the bits of those handwheels, can be brazed up by hands that know what there doing no probs.

Look forward to hearing more :)

WS.jpg

Nics pieces ! Warner & Swaseys come through the local scrap yard here from time to time. Thats the best way I know to get slide tools and lotta small stuff ....at 25 cents a pound. I am kind of amazed that the yard still lets ppl in to "SHOP" as the ladies at the window call it. Just found another yard that lets ppl "shop"

makes me feel like a kid that just robbed the piggy bank .......and now in the candy store !

The zig-zag stove flue in the background brings back memories. I guess you are not in south Texas.

Those are amazing machines. Have fun with them.

The book I have seems to indicate tje spindle hole on the 3A would be either 4.750 or 6.250

and the 4A might be 8" 9" and 12" somewhere else i think I saw they were also made in 7" have you checked yours yet ?

These are old enough to pre date W&S A type spindle noses, so are THREADED - with large diameter threads

I have the April 1934 Circular No. 3405 (43 pages) on 1A, 2A and 3A. I'll try scanning same for you

The handwheel got busted, but other than that, success!
I'm still shopping manuals, I think Inspector Gadget designed these machines.
Shared album - Zane Reese - Google PhotosView attachment 249185View attachment 249185

No, Inspector Gadget designed the modern replacements...Designs of real Mechanic/ Engineers, whose last names appear in the badge, as they learned working in successive shops. Not just W&S, all of them; Kearney, Trecker, Peck, Stow, Wilcox, Brown, Sharpe, Niles, Gray, Lodge, Shipley, Pratt, Whitney, likely Van Norman, Mattison; the list goes on. Real machines often have real names, 'branding' isn't a new concept, especially with your name on it.
BTW Peck-Stow-Wilcox = PEXTO been around since 1797, very possible one of their customers was Paul Revere. I don't see a name change in their future, compared to our phone, utility, and retail services.

lalatheman, I didn't spend a lot of time with a spring caliper, but the 3A is 4 and some change, the 4A is 7".

Back