What's new
What's new

Brand new, never used 1984 South Bend Lathe 10K - what is the value of such an item?

Gunnar R

Plastic
I have a brand new, never used South Bend 10K UMD lathe (catalog number CL 370RDA) purchased in 11/1984 – I am wondering if anyone has any idea what all of this is worth. I got it from a friend of my parents. The owner had to convince me to take it off his hands – he was in his 80s and was trying to downsize his belongings. When we came to pick it up, the wife was 'thank God, get that thing out of here !' She even yelled at us for parking in her driveway. The reason I don't want the lathe is because I have a beautiful South Bend 10L Catalog # 187N Serial number 178098. If I did not have a wife, it would be in my living room. (along with my ACME 7” metal shaper)

It comes with the following items purchased at the same time – all listed on a receipt – which I have. As far as I can tell none of these have been used.
1. CL 2680NK MILLING ATTACHMENT
2. CL 758NK PLAIN CARRIAGE STOP
3. CE 1625 TEFLON LUBE
4. CL 1957NK METRIC TRANSPOSING GEARS
5. CL 810NK THREAD DIAL INDICATOR
6. CL 2250NK THREAD CUTTING STOP
7. CL 1483NK MULTITAP FACE PLATE
8. CL 968NK MICROMETER CARRIAGE STOP
9. CE 469NK BORING BAR AND TOOL HOLDER
10. CE 2930NK 10 IN 1 TOOL KIT
11. CE 2107 LATHE DOGS (3/8” 1/2” 3/4” 1” 1.25” 1.5”)
12. CE 2450NK TOOL POST ASSEMBLY

The following items appear brand new, never used but are not on the receipt dated 11/02/1984
1. CE 1731 CABINET STYLE BENCH
2. CE 2175NK SMALL FACE PLATE
3. CE 2401 60 DEGREE CENTER (TWO)
4. CE 2450NK TOOL POST ASSEMBLY (there are 2, but only one is listed on the receipt)
5. CL 3705NK 5” 3-JAW UNIVERSAL CHUCK WITH 3 EXTRA JAWS
6. CE2527 MORSE TAPER REDUCING SLEEVE #3 TO #2
7. CE2302 TAPER ARBOR FOR CE 1201
8. CE 1201 0 – 1/2” DRILL CHUCK (6T 33)
9. CL 4906NK 6” 4-JAW CHUCK (POWER COMPANION TOOLS 1111706 MADE IN USA)
10. CE 876 CUTTING-OFF BLADE
11. 3AT COLLETS MADE IN GERMANY (3/16” 1/4” 5/16” 3/8” 7/16” 1/2”)

The following item might be used but not sure:
1. HANDWHEEL COLLET ATTACHMENT WITH COLLET CLOSER AND WORKS WITH 3AT COLLETS
2. 3 TURNING TOOL HOLDERS (STRAIGHT, RIGHT HAND, AND LEFTHAND) LISTED AS CE 846S CE 846R CE 846L

The photo showing all the items has 2 missing: CE 2401 60 DEGREE CENTER (TWO) and CE 1201 0 – 1/2” DRILL CHUCK (6T 33)

Here are the photos of the 10K lathe

gpejqhu.jpg

hUr8U7H.jpg

2K7LxPk.jpg

PbbceKl.jpg

1L59Fd5.jpg

wMtzo6d.jpg

Hm2dVNw.jpg

d4sSyDN.jpg

6blSyOZ.jpg

SwONOCL.jpg

dQ5nDFZ.jpg

ei9Nc9K.jpg

cl8tbx5.jpg

p3vAWFA.jpg

GEBctKV.jpg

Q4yWwuH.jpg

SiIA60x.jpg

Wow! Talk about a survivor!! No idea on value but dang what a nice machine! Too bad it is only a 10K. Now a10L....[emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet that would go for ridiculous money on eBay.

I seriously consider starting an educational/history/art museum and that lathe would be nice to have for it. Imagine an exhibit plaque with a description of the common uses of this model lathe (school shops, etc.) and a brief history of this class of lathe.

I wonder if the American Precision Museum would love to get it.

SCREEEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHH! EDIT: I just noticed it was made in Korea. Still neat, but maybe not as ridiculous as I originally said.

It is worth the sum of every part. Spend some days researching on eBay and old posts here and elsewhere on the internet seeing what things sell for. Maybe bounce an email off Ted and ask what he sells (or sold, if they’re all gone) different things for - especially the metric gears, milling attachment, etc. Those two items alone would push a grand in NIB condition. When you start adding up the cost of everything it jumps quickly. There’s a retired doctor or engineer out there with disposable income who would fork out mad money just for bragging rights to own it.

I know they were built to use, but I’d hate to see anyone get that dirty. That’s a true collectors piece worthy of space in a Smithsonian. Don’t let it go too cheap. You’ll never be able to replace it.

Last edited:
It looks like a machine made well before 1984, that's what makes it so cool looking. In my book, 1984 is not very old.

If I owned this wonderful machine I would be deeply torn. Do I leave it alone, just as SB built it? Or do I tear it apart, clean it and oil it, like it so desperately needs?

Then, do I use it and loose its high dollar value, or do I save it as a conversion piece in my family room?

Please see attached invoice FOB of $3385.50 from SB in Nov. 1984. This is what a 10K like yours cost then. The chuck and stuff were standard equipment that came with the lathe. Note the cost of the transposing gears. They could only be ordered with a new lathe. They are almost non-existent today, so $1,000 for them alone would not be unreasonable. I would guess today's price, as is, would be around $7,000. It is a rare find indeed.

Attachments

• SB 10K Invoice.jpg
    SB 10K Invoice.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 202
i really don't see so much collector value, i do, however see the value as a *really* nice set up for someone that wants a light,easy to use machine in a very complete package.

price is whatever someone will pay, and now is the perfect time to sell.

Hang on there a sec, fella .... people will seriously pay $1,000 for a pair of simple spur gears ?

I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend !

Look carefully. You will see the set is composed of 9 gears, not a pair. Carefully also examine my invoice when I ordered my 10k and note that set only cost $116 then. Then, if you really give a shit, go find another set, which I don't think you do. You will then note that there are not any anywhere. Now that you're really up-to-speed, can you make a business case of making those 9 gears for less than $1,000? Especially when your market is so limited.

Now that you're really up-to-speed, can you make a business case of making those 9 gears for less than $1,000? Especially when your market is so limited.

There is a reason that we stopped stocking pre-made SB Metric Kits. Not worth the hassles. And I am not referring to the manufacturing process. :rolleyes5: Likely, the same reason that Mike largely stopped doing them for Clausings.

Back