What's new
What's new

Reverse rotation on motor Baldor CJL3501A

The wires should be marked with numbers on them in ink. Old motor will have metal tags crimped onto each wire. Be careful cleaning the wires so you dont remove the markings. Some are hard to read so try to identify all the wire numbers, looking at how it is wired by which wires are grouped together can also help narrow down which wires are which.

Thanks for the reply. There is a box that has the wires for switching from low to high voltage. Everything is clearly labeled. The product sheet states the wires are inside. I can't find them anywhere. I'm not inclined to cut apart the windings inside the housing to locate. Any advise on finding the internal leads?

The wire are the ones that are in the box, they can be wired for different direction (5&8) and different voltages. They will all be the same color, maybe yellow or black 3 or 4" long. I dont remember the wiring, is it a 3 phase motor or single phase? What HP? Maybe switching 5&8 is only single phase, not sure anymore without looking it up. If three phase it is easier than switching 5&8, let us know.

Single phase, 1/3 hp. The product sheet says switch 5 and 8 and yet I cannot find them. I can identify all of the other wires in the schematic. Where would wires 5 and 8 be if they are inside the motor housing?

Just a WAG as it would not be typical to be configured this way...but, as there doesn't seem to be the proper numbered wires in the J-box, and the specs on the sheet you linked notes rotation as "fixed opposite standard" could it be possible this isn't field reversible. The diagram showing reversal via the wire swap could be a 'canned' page that's not applicable to your motor #.

I've never seen it before but lack of those wires in the J-box certainly is suspicious.

Stuart

Single phase, 1/3 hp. The product sheet says switch 5 and 8 and yet I cannot find them. I can identify all of the other wires in the schematic. Where would wires 5 and 8 be if they are inside the motor housing?

Wire #8 is white/gray
Wire #5 is brown

Capice?

A picture of the terminal box on the motor?

I have seen small motors use a spade terminal that a wire coming out of the casing plugs on to, there may be an empty one that the wire would move to, to switch rotation? Or they are both plugged on spades and just switched.
pics of tag and motor and wires in box will help ALOT now.

That's my suspicion but am hoping someone will have experience with this model. Maybe I just need to contact the manufacturer.

When you are making a post there are icons above, click the picture with a tree to post a picture, click the film strip to post a video. Follow the prompts. May not work on mobiles as well as computer.

Holy crap, It’s happened befor my eyes! Digger actually made a useful comment without attacking the OP ! :D

I wasn't ?

I need to try harder.....

FWIW 30 years ago I bought a ...yes..... a HF benchtop drill press (remember making your order over $50 to get free shipping ?)....feels good to get THAT
off my chest.

And made the motor reversing with a toggle switch, works great for tapping,
in combo with a foot pedal switch.

That motor I had to take it all apart, dig into the actual windings to
get out the starting windings connection point. Vety thin magnet wire, suspicious insulation.

Soldered on a lead, and insulated it best I could, spray can varnish
too.

Been going good all these years.

But I don't recommend it on a "Plain Vanilla" motor, when you can just replace.

Last edited:
i have run into a few capacitor start motors that could not be easily reversed. one of the wires coming from the capacitor is wired directly to the start winding inside the motor. you may have this type, check with baldor, if the motor tag says its reversible, i would think it is.

I believe that the leads you need to swap are on the capacitor and thermal switch. As stated above, if you can't find the numbers go by color.

Essentially you are reversing the polarity of the start winding. The start winding is between the start cap and thermal switch according to the drawing in the data you provided. The thermal switch wiring will be inside the motor. The cap wiring will be outside at the cap but might also be accessible inside the motor.

i have run into a few capacitor start motors that could not be easily reversed. one of the wires coming from the capacitor is wired directly to the start winding inside the motor. you may have this type, check with baldor, if the motor tag says its reversible, i would think it is.

That's the one I did, you have to dig into the windings. be very careful not
to scratch any other windings.

Back