What's new
What's new

Vesconite vs Turcite

Shooter7

Aluminum
Has anyone tried utilizing Vesconite in lieu of Turcite or Rulon for a slideway? Vesconite is slippery strong stuff, that holds up really well in tough environments. It seems like it might perform as well in service, and last even longer, vs Turcite.

We replaced some old asbestos reinforced slide way material on a vertical borer with vesconite a couple of years ago and it is working very well. Not sure what you are using it on but in our application it is about 5mm thick and in a fairly low speed application.

Where are you getting Vesconite? Professional Plastics, here in the US, offers bearings but doesn't list Vesconite in sheets or films.

You can get it, but it is cut and shipped from South Africa. I received a quote for 1000mm x 200mm x 3mm thick for $95. All told, I think it is actually cheaper than Turcite.

It looks like Vesconite is not quite as slick as Turcite. Turcite Coeff of Friction is .075 vs Vesconite at .10 +/-. So, cost is not an issue, Vesconite is not quite as slick dry, they are probably equaly slick when moving if oiled, and the Vesconite will probably last longer from what I have heard....

I would imagine that Veconite is "easier" to scrape...because it is much harder to scrape. Turcite is so soft that you have to be very careful. Vesconite is probably a lot more forgiving. Might even be able to use the Biax on it, with a very obtuse edge angle.

I still do not know if it is worth trying. Maybe I will order some material, and just play with it. I have seen some machine to rebuilders in South Africa state that they use it....

Back