What's new
What's new

Looking for

rbdjr59

Cast Iron
Default Looking for simple cheap 2D CAD

After reading several threads I realize that what I need is something very simple as all I am doing is generating drawings for machine foundations and simple repair parts for my equipment. I am a concrete contractor who specializes in machine foundations. I am spending too much time with a pencil and a ruler making drawings for my clients to approve. Most of the machine foundations are for machines that are used and often don't have any factory drawings to go by. Even when I do have such drawings the owners often wish to make changes to better fit their operations. The factory drawings most often don't show reinforcing and I add that as well. I will draw up chip conveyor trays and show top and side views and that is about it. I also will draw parts such as shafts with threaded bores or O.D.'s to make repair parts for my equipment. I don't anticipate needing to grow into Autocad or solid works and I'm getting a little old to dedicate that kind of time to this now. Can some of you guys who are immersed in this field give me some advice on a simple and cheap software to use?img_0083.jpgdscn2485.jpg

I really wish there was a mod so we could just sticky a note at the top of this forum. Every week, this same question.

If you're looking for free cad go get Fusion. There is no comparison in that price range.

Draftsight is very easy and free, also. Very much like the old Autocad 14. I think it will fit your needs for what you are planning to use it for. It is what I use to draw up brackets and such for for custom trailer parts, side steps for my truck and even bird houses.

An EZ Solution

I might suggest EZ-CAM. They have stepped it up with CAD. Their CAM software is extremely simple to use, but yet powerful enough to make sure there aren't any details missing. It's worth checking into.

I might suggest EZ-CAM. They have stepped it up with CAD. Their CAM software is extremely simple to use, but yet powerful enough to make sure there aren't any details missing. It's worth checking into.

Really ?

For drawing up machinery foundations ?

How many have you personally done ?

I knew it would be a common question but after reading it seemed that this type of software changes rapidly and i wanted to make sure I was getting up to date info.

"I really wish there was a mod so we could just sticky a note at the top of this forum. Every week, this same question.
If you're looking for free cad go get Fusion. There is no comparison in that price range."

I give you one point for applying your pickled protein in a "related" thread, but you lose five points because you stink of canned meat.:willy_nilly:

Actually you would be much better served with a 3D parametric program like Fusion. In 2D everything you draw is manually changed. With parametric 3D you just change dimension, or quantities and ALL related drawing views up date. You get volumetric data as to how much concrete is needed, how much rebar is required and can get all that on a BOM that changes as you change the model.

Take it from a youngster like me 3D is the way to go. I am 65 and I am currently learning Inventor so I can mentor the high school FIRST robotics club.

Actually you would be much better served with a 3D parametric program like Fusion. In 2D everything you draw is manually changed. With parametric 3D you just change dimension, or quantities and ALL related drawing views up date. You get volumetric data as to how much concrete is needed, how much rebar is required and can get all that on a BOM that changes as you change the model.

Take it from a youngster like me 3D is the way to go. I am 65 and I am currently learning Inventor so I can mentor the high school FIRST robotics club.

Have you ever done a foundation or factory layout ?
75% of the functionality you see with paramteric modelling can be incorperated in autocad 2-d
by the usage of paper/model space properly & wisely.

Draftsight would be my goto for your app, but its unfortunate that's it's no longer free.
Dassualt pulled the plug and went to a $99 year subscription model.

Draftsight would be my goto for your app, but its unfortunate that's it's no longer free.
Dassualt pulled the plug and went to a $99 year subscription model.

The basic Draftsight 2D is still free, I believe. It's the Professional version that is $99 subscription.

Like I said in your other thread, there is really no reason to even consider Draftsight when Solid Edge exists, especially if you are not tied to legacy autocad methodology.

The free version of Solid Edge is really just the 2D portion of the full Solid Edge, meaning you get all the good stuff that comes with a modern parametric based system, like constraints based sketching with auto updating drawing views.

Back