What's new
What's new

Small Metal cutting vert. band saw

Mr-Mike

Aluminum
Is there such a thing as a decent bench top vertical bandsaw? I just don't have the space for a floor model. I am trying to avoid the portaband type. Under $500 would be nice but willing to spend more.

Suggestions appreciated!

Portaband on a Swag Offroad stand is about as close as you can get. The slots for a miter gauge are useless because portabands don't hold the blade twist accurately. I have suggested that they make the mounting plate round so you could compensate it.

I think Lindsay books had some plans for using your backyard hole in the ground
aluminum pop can melting rig, to make just what you desire.....

Good point on the speed...
So I found this model, NG120XL Mitering Bandsaw, HEM Saw, Femi one up from the previous. Seems to be similar in size but with a better variable speed motor. These tools are by Femi in Italy. I feel pretty good about it even though I will likely be making some replacement parts to beef it up and improve accuracy. This one is even more money but I think it is well spent. I really don't have many options. So I think this is a no-brainer and one of the quicker machine decisions I have made. Choosing a TIG machine took months LOL.

Any thoughts on the above NG120 would be appreciated. I plan to order it in the next day or two. Been needing on of these for so long now.

Thank you Sirs!

I think Lindsay books had some plans for using your backyard hole in the ground
aluminum pop can melting rig, to make just what you desire.....

LOL. Is that for me? Not sure I follow but it doesn't sound good :) In other words, this small stuff is crap..? No doubt but going in eyes open.

I have a Milwaukee portable saw on one of the Swag offroad stands. It works well for small stuff. I use it to rough out knife profiles in 01, 1095, etc. It is definitely handy to have around. As long as you realize the limitation of a saw that size, I would recommend it.

A while back I almost bought a portaband. If I had, the SWAG stand would have been the natural choice.

I will probably order that NG120XL today. The entry level Hem/Femi 782 looks suspiciously Asian (Rong Fu perhaps), and while Baleigh has a contender, that will never happen. The 120 seems to be where the 'line' is. Take Fein angle grinders for example. Their cheapest unit is Chinese sourced whereas the higher priced variants are German. The 120 is not cheap but it's not costly enough to get me close to a quality floor model like Ellis, plus I don't have the floor space (I may have been motivated to create the space for Ellis but $3k+ can't be justified). I will expect to gin-up an improvement here or there if needed but I am pretty confident it will be a decent machine once any bugs are worked out. I need this thing yesterday.

Thanks for your replies!

A while back I almost bought a portaband. If I had, the SWAG stand would have been the natural choice.

I will probably order that NG120XL today. The entry level Hem/Femi 782 looks suspiciously Asian (Rong Fu perhaps), and while Baleigh has a contender, that will never happen. The 120 seems to be where the 'line' is. Take Fein angle grinders for example. Their cheapest unit is Chinese sourced whereas the higher priced variants are German. The 120 is not cheap but it's not costly enough to get me close to a quality floor model like Ellis, plus I don't have the floor space (I may have been motivated to create the space for Ellis but $3k+ can't be justified). I will expect to gin-up an improvement here or there if needed but I am pretty confident it will be a decent machine once any bugs are worked out. I need this thing yesterday.

Thanks for your replies!

They are Made in Italy but that doesn't mean that they would be leaps better than asian imports. Even chinese are too proud to use brushed motors :D
Smaller Femi's come with brushed motor, chinese ones come with induction motor that is generally fool proof compared to brushed motor. Lightweigh, portable and cheap are their main selling points.
My chinese bandsaw weights almost 10 times as much as the Femi 782XL

Edit: forgot the most important part about Femi's
Check the blade direction if you intend to run one as a vertical! Some of them run the blade in reverse compared to the "usual" way.

They are Made in Italy but that doesn't mean that they would be leaps better than asian imports. Even chinese are too proud to use brushed motors :D
Smaller Femi's come with brushed motor, chinese ones come with induction motor that is generally fool proof compared to brushed motor. Lightweigh, portable and cheap are their main selling points.
My chinese bandsaw weights almost 10 times as much as the Femi 782XL

Edit: forgot the most important part about Femi's
Check the blade direction if you intend to run one as a vertical! Some of them run the blade in reverse compared to the "usual" way.

Well crap! Quoted is on point. The larger model won't go vertical. That leaves with the 782 . I called them and indeed there are no options. So I am going to put a little more time into this today but will likely end up with the 782, :(

Yes you could mount that on a bench. You MUST bolt the front of it to the bench in order to use it in vertical mode. The force pushing the part into the blade will tip the saw up.

I use mine with the stand but I have to put one foot on the front to keep it from tipping while cutting vertical.

Some of my thoughts... I considered a swag stand for my porta-band. It would be handy for small cutoff operations with a foot pedal. My 4x6 cutoff saw works in a vertical position also. Neither solution give any real kind of throat space for working with larger parts and both use too wide a band to do much contour cuts. I did think of getting an old Delta 14” (several on Craig’s list ATM and convert it to run on low speed (like 100 ft/min). A little more size and rigidity would be something I think I would like but the Delta would be very useful to me.

Wish those Dunlap were still around. Erich, thanks for the advice on mounting, So, it's looks like it will end up being something like a Jet horizontal/vertical model or that 782XL. I managed to eek out a 23" deep x 26" along a wall, section of floor, but alas, metal cutting verticals are costly.

Ordered one.

Process of elimination based on my requirements and limitations left only two options. The variable speed Jet HVBS-56V 5" X 6" VS [#414548] https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/hv...ical-variable-speed-bandsaw-1-2hp-1-ph/414548 and the Femi 782XL (linked previously). So after discussing these two machines with a gent at Trick Tools, who felt the Femi was an excellent high quality machine a few notches above the Jet (he did say the jet was good and among the Asian imports probably one of the better ones out there). I ordered the JET. :) While the guy did impress upon me how impressed 'everyone is by the Femi, he never 'pushed' it on me and was supportive when I said Jet.

After he charged my card I asked when it might ship. He went to check and when he got back it turns out I wouldn't see it till mid May. I cancelled that one and now, will receive my Femi this week. LOL. My new buddy assures me I will love it. Looks like I will know a lot more about these little powerhouses (twice the hp than the Jet - if that equates) in a few days.

I appreciate you guys for hanging in with me while I figured it all out.

Take care!

Back