What's new
What's new

How to not get ripped off on ebay?

Rprecision

Aluminum
I am hunting for a good used albrecht keyless drill chuck 0-1/2" for a R8 vertical mill application.

I have done a search couldn't find anything.

When bidding, buying used what do I need to look out for? Make sure it's real, , not junk, serviceable, etc? I have never owned one and fobt know wh as t to look for.

Are there any members that sell stuff regularly?

Thank you for any help,

I am hunting for a good used albrecht keyless drill chuck 0-1/2" for a R8 vertical mill application.

I have done a search couldn't find anything.

When bidding, buying used what do I need to look out for? Make sure it's real, , not junk, serviceable, etc? I have never owned one and fobt know wh as t to look for.

Are there any members that aell stuff regularly?

Thank you for any help
Just buy a new one from your distributor. Never spend money on e bay you can't afford to lose.

Look at the feedback of seller and how long seller has been selling. I also like to look at other items for sale to get an idea of what seller is comfortable selling. If really wanting to dig READ the feedback others have left, it may be positive feedback but the written part may give clues to something else. Be sure to look for patterns, not just an angry buyer trying to scam.
If it is not "as described" there should be no problem getting your money back, including the return postage.

I sell a lot of amature radio equipment on ebay, message the seller with any question you can think of extra pics their return policy, if they themself use what they sell and are familiar with what they are selling one important thing ebay frowns heavily on ripping someone off and they actually do look out for the buyer..hope that helped

I'm assuming you want an Albrecht because you want a quality drill chuck with minimal run-out. In that case I wouldn't buy it on eBay.

I have an Albrecht chuck that looks great. Problem is, it's been crashed. Too much run-out to do quality work and, for the life of me, I can't get it apart to rebuild it. If I were unscrupulous I could sell it on eBay though.

I think the large majority of sellers look at a drill chuck and if it looks good, call it good. What percentage do you think chuck up a Gage pin and check run-out? It's not in their interest to know whether it's actually good or not as the majority of buyers won't notice the difference anyway.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Are there any members that sell stuff regularly?

Instead of "good used", how about "perfect, unused"? I have a spare Albrecht 73040 (Classic R8 integral shank) 1/32-1/2 in the original tube that's never been used. I have a duplicate that's my daily knee mill chuck, and it's still going strong (will outlast me), so I don't need the second.

The cheapest price I found new was ~$451 (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ALBRECHT+73040&_sacat=0) from Zoro, if you want mine how does $285 including USPS shipping sound?

If interested, PM me for pics or other info you'd like, I can email them to you later on Monday. And if the OP doesn't want it, it's available to anyone else who does.

My experience with eBay has been a bit different...

I went on a mission a few years ago to replace every 1/2" Jacobs chuck in the shop with Albrechts. eBay, $100 each was my limit. Didn't get burned once, though that was a possibility.

I asked questions. IF the pictures were good, the chuck was accurately described, seller had good feedback and knew enough to discuss mounting tapers, I bought it, or tried to.

Had I gotten one lemon (of 6 bought) and not been able to return it, it still would have been worth it.

Instead of "good used", how about "perfect, unused"? I have a spare Albrecht 73040 (Classic R8 integral shank) 1/32-1/2 in the original tube that's never been used. I have a duplicate that's my daily knee mill chuck, and it's still going strong (will outlast me), so I don't need the second.

The cheapest price I found new was ~$451 (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ALBRECHT+73040&_sacat=0) from Zoro, if you want mine how does $285 including USPS shipping sound?

If interested, PM me for pics or other info you'd like, I can email them to you later on Monday. And if the OP doesn't want it, it's available to anyone else who does.

I will take it, this is what I love about the people here! That was a very generous offer, Thank you!

Wow!!! I had no idea Albrecht chucks were so expensive. Several years ago I purchased a Henke Pacemaker air compressor from a used equipment dealer. I knew it had some problems, but was willing to take the chance since I got it at a bargain basement price.

When I got the compressor home I was making a couple repairs I had identified before the purchase. I noticed it was filling the tank extremely slowly and that there appeared to be a leak at the unloader mechanism. As luck would have it when I disassembled the unloader I found it was completely destroyed. No big deal I removed the entire system, plugged the feed lines, and installed a Load Genie unloader.

Some time later I was back at the dealer looking for more equipment when he asked how the compressor was working out. I explained what I had to do and that the compressor was up and running fine. I happened to notice a new in the box 1/8" to 5/8" Albrecht chuck on a shelf. Being totally ignorant of the retail price I asked what he wanted for it. His response was "take it, it's yours for the inconvenience. I thanked him, purchased a couple other small items and went on my way.

Now that I see what those chucks actually sell for I'm a bit embarrassed I accepted his offer. The chuck is worth more than what I paid for the compressor. On the other hand I've been back dozens of times and purchased several more pieces of equipment.

I am sure quite a few people on here remember Reliable Tool of Irwindale Ca. Not sure when they finally went under, but it was quite a while ago. They were all over E-bay during it's infancy selling everything from used tooling ($1 a pound grab bags) to large used CNC machines. They were fixtures at every Southern Ca machine shop auction from probably in the late 90's through mid 2000's.

Since they were often on my sourcing supplies and outside services route I would stop in and check out items they had on E-bay I was interested in. I was completely floored at the difference of what appeared in the E-bay pictures compared to what it looked like in person. I think they could take pictures of Phyliss Diller and make her look like Cindy Crawford. If I could not see something in person. I would never bid more than junk price. I still have a Hardinge 5C lever indexer with a threaded nose I bought on E-bay from them. I had to spend an hour with a file to get the threads in workable condition, they managed to angle the pictures taken of the nose so the damage was not apparent. I only bid like $125 on it and picked it up so it was still a fair deal. They were one of the first so called E-bay power sellers so I am pretty sure they never got in trouble for deceptive advertising.

I'm showing both my new/old (never used) and my "working chuck" for comparison. Since the OP wants the new one, I'll actually offer the WC for $210 including shipping. Yes, it's got a few miles on it with a patina and one very light "rub ring" on the taper, but otherwise E/VG mechanical condition. The reddish areas of the new chucks jaw view are preservative, not rust.

PM me or (better) use the Email link in my contact info if you want the older one.

I've tried to show the insides of the jaw area, it's a birch to get good closeups. I'll mention that the older chuck has good good jaws that hold true, the new I expect ditto but I've never mounted it to check.
P4150001.jpgP4150002.jpgP4150007.jpgP4150010.jpgP4150004.jpg

I just put a new arbor on mine. I didn't know they had gotten that expensive.

I already have a couple and passed another one up this weekend for $100 because it had a 1/2" shank. Maybe I need to reconsider since the prices appear to be going up.

I already have a couple and passed another one up this weekend for $100 because it had a 1/2" shank. Maybe I need to reconsider since the prices appear to be going up.

The arbors (aka shanks) are easy to change and not that pricey.

A very general visual test I have is to see a picture of the jaws closed and look for any damage.
That won't prove the chuck is good, but it rules it out for me if the jaws are misaligned, worn, or irregular looking.

I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, which has included chucks in the past. But I personally wouldn't buy a used chuck on there unless I also had a line on a rebuild kit for it. Even if the seller is liberal with pictures and information, you never really know until you have it in your hands and can run an indicator around it. I limit myself to Albrecht and Jacobs, and even still you have to do your homework checking the model numbers, etc as there are obsolete models.

I too, have bought many Jacobs brand chucks off of eBay over the years. Some were new, never used, most used somewhat. If they have good pictures that can be "blown up" you can usually catch bad jaws. Any chuck that has been beaten on, has a rough shank on it from not cleaning it properly and such, stay away from, they are usually junk. I'm not an Albrecht fan for the work I do even though I have one that I borrowed from a drill press that went to the scrapper. Will say for the rust it had on it and how I removed it from the DP, amazingly, runout is well within an half of an thousandth! It's a keeper and get used once n a while. Ken

The OP's new Albrecht 73040 is on it's way, I've emailed the tracking number to him. And he's found the best way to not get ripped off on Ebay - have some clown hijack his thread to sell him one from here!

To be nice, ebay is a mixed bag...

One needs to watch out for both buyers as well as sellers...

Ebay / paypal nearly ALWAYS side with the buyer. so, as a buyer, if you complain, you get your money back - 95+ % of the time. I had a buyer for a 4" Kurt vise want money back because the 'packaging was bad', and 'clearly' it had been mishandled in shipping - this is a 40lb hunk of metal... I said, just ship it back, and his reply was it will cost you for me to ship it back, and that if I didn't give him what he wanted, he would file a claim, and I would get nothing. At that point it was just to much trouble, and I settled to just get away from this guy...

That said, as a buyer, it can be a real hassle to return stuff - you need to pay for shipping and now ebay makes you use their shipping (or at least tries to), the reviews you see are all designed to make the seller look good...

It is possible to get good deals, but it is not easy, craigslist is generally better...

Ray

The OP's new Albrecht 73040 is on it's way, I've emailed the tracking number to him. And he's found the best way to not get ripped off on Ebay - have some clown hijack his thread to sell him one from here!

I always have had good luck buying from established members here. Unfortunately most good deals get swooped up real fast. I think some people hover over the tooling for sale section like vultures over a dying animal. I have seen things get snatched up in minutes when they are posted at 4:00am EST.

Back