What's new
What's new

Deckel FP2 # 6770 No oil X-axis lower sliding surface

Saij

Plastic
Deckel FP2 number 6770 (with 2 grease nipples on the left side)

I have been looking but have not been able to find anything that describes how (which way) oil comes to the x-axis's lower sliding surfaces.
After the machine has been disassembled, cleaned and wedges have been scraped, it has been put together - but despite an endless pumping with the oil pump, no oil comes from the duct at the X-axis lower sliding surface - oil comes OK from all other places.

Have again dismantled the saddle to investigate why no oil comes. Opened the cover for the drive clutch and notes that the oil channel seems to open out here but no chance to see how or where. If you blow carefully with compressed air in the oil duct, you clearly hear that it opens here - but how should the oil actually get where it should?
Hope there is someone who knows - I'd rather not have to dismantle all gears and clutches just to investigate where the oil channel comes.

Really do not know anything about the machine - bought used a few years ago but I have not used it - stated to be in good condition - but quite the opposite. Has clear traces of previous renovation.

Saij

Deckel FP2 number 6770 (with 2 grease nipples on the left side)

Rather than left/right we usually use "door side" and "operator side". You mean "door side", correct? You know that those are OIL nipples, not grease nipples, right?

Despite an endless pumping with the oil pump, no oil comes from the duct at the X-axis lower sliding surface - oil comes OK from all other places.

Some of it comes from the oil hole visible next to the oil groove here:

attachment.php

As I recall, there is another hole (not visible in this photo, on the short horizontal section) above that. Fortunately another person on this forum (Dennis) has his FP2 support disassembled. So instead of trying to remember where these oil passages come from, let's ask him to check. Dennis, could you have a look?

This is the hole that eventually leads to the lower front hole of the dovetail:
FuUjP46.jpg

It goes down into the X-axis bushing and lubricates it, then surplus oil runs down into a passage that goes straight down into a reservoir that is behind the front hole in Bruces picture, that reservoir also has a tube that feeds the lead screw and gears.

It is basically a straight drilled hole from the top down into the reservoir. This was plugged up for me with grease, had to remove the tube, plug up the front hole and put 5-6 bars of air pressure into it before black grease started coming back up through the x-axis bushing and up through the hole. I think this is the main way oil gets there, but I don't think it's the only way. I have a feeling oil might drip down from above too. Need to check again.

Oooh boy imgur did a number on the image quality there....

Hi Ballen & DennisCA,

Thank you for your input in this matter!
Most appreciated!

Yes - door side - and Yes I'm familiar with that oil must be used - don't know what this poor machine has experienced, but when I dismantled it there was no trace of grease found.

Have removed the plug at your arrow DennisCA - and yes - you can see the shaft moving in bottom of the hole.

Made a "smoke-test" - first from the nipple to determine where all channels goes - smoke did come from all holes at the lands except the bottom dovetail. Very little smoke come from the X-axis bushing and non from the "z-axis clutch room" below.
Made same test but with input in the hole at bottom dovetail – almost all smoke came out from the “little pipe” lubricating the Z-axis gear, sign of smoke was seen in the “X-axis clutch-room”- nothig else.
Could it really be possible that this tiny amount of “leak-oil” from the X-axis bushing should be sufficient to cover the need of oil for both the Z-axis gear and the bottom dovetail and the most interesting - how it is distributed between the pipe and the dovetail?
Regards
Saij

Well this is just my guess, but I think that the leak oil would be enough due to the existence of the reservoir which would hopefully get filled up faster than it runs dry.

And the tube should be partially blocked with a piece of felt so it only releases a few drops of oil per hour, if it can free flowly then it will empty the reservoir too fast.

The gib for the dovetail has a scalloped cutout, I wonder if this is meant to retain extra oil as well.

45248012664_8a6c37e4b4_c.jpg

When I made the smoke-test (and before with compressed air) it seems to be fully clear that the “pipe” is “wide open” cant possible be any felt inside with that flow.
I’ve e-mailed Singer about this but nowadays it looks “a bit” more difficult to get answers on questions………. Even though I’ve been dealing with them for the last 15 years….

It is wide open on mine too, I wonder if I blew out the felt piece with compressed air by mistake. I'm going to add something there to reduce flow at any rate.

If they do answer it would be nice to know what they say. I have asked before but no answers.

When I made the smoke-test (and before with compressed air) it seems to be fully clear that the “pipe” is “wide open” cant possible be any felt inside with that flow.
I’ve e-mailed Singer about this but nowadays it looks “a bit” more difficult to get answers on questions………. Even though I’ve been dealing with them for the last 15 years….

The pipe in my machine was fully open when I dismantled it – IF there should be felt inside (which I believe I have read in some other forum) and now is missing isn’t surprisingly at all – this machine seems to have been into pieces more than once before (was really a bad buy – but that’s another story).
I’ll think I’ll remove all plugs (drill, tap, pull out??) and then perform some kind of flow test i.e. fill up all channels with oil or similar fluid to determine which ways it flows. I’ll let you know the result.
Singer – Yes for sure I’ll let you – if I’ll get an answer (no longer Franz who is answering the emails…….).

OK- bra att veta but maybe if we use Swedish here on the forum we will exclude many readers - there are of course other ways to keep in touch with this question.:crazy:

Have cleaned all channels and fitted a “limitation” into the little pipe to reduce the oil-flow through this pipe (a piece of candlewick reduced the flow to about 2 drips a minute) and now (still no answer from Singer) the 1.000 $ question is - should it be felt plugs into the vertical channels – if so - in all or only in some of the channels…………. An what kind of felt (how permeable)?

Have cleaned all channels and fitted a “limitation” into the little pipe to reduce the oil-flow through this pipe (a piece of candlewick reduced the flow to about 2 drips a minute).

Very good

and now (still no answer from Singer) the 1.000 $ question is - should it be felt plugs into the vertical channels – if so - in all or only in some of the channels…………. An what kind of felt (how permeable)?

My memory is that there is only a felt plug above the small central nozzle that drips onto the three bevel gears at the top of the support (the ones that drive the X-axis lead screw clutch). Perhaps others here can either confirm or correct that.

Yes – just about my thoughts about this nozzle – if not limiting the flow through this it would possible drain the horizontal reservoir pretty quickly – how many drips per minute or hour would be needed, you think?

How many drips per minute or hour would be needed, you think?

I have no idea, really. But the oil being used here is bedway oil, meaning that it is tacky and clings. So I would think one drop per hour would be enough, one drop per minute is probably too much. So perhaps a few drops per hour is about right?

Well I did use a piece of felt from one of these feet thingies for furniture since I had some at hand, faster than going to the store. Punched out a suitable bit but I wondered if it would let enough oil down so I drilled through it with a wood screw. I put some oil (mobil vactra #4 FYI) in above the hole and left it while working for 30-40 minutes on something else, looking back a big drop had formed but not yet dropped onto the gears. I think it could be a little faster but I think it also will be once the plugs are put back in and the reservoir is actually filled.

Well – also think that a few drops per hour would be sufficient for this nozzle.
DennisCA – was this the only felt plug you did find?
I’ll make one more try with the Singers – have an ongoing issue about a DRO with Igor so I’ll ask once again about “felt-plugs”.

Back