What's new
What's new

On/Off Timer?

Ox

Diamond
I want to add a timer with set-able on and off times and then starting back over continuously to a chip conveyor.

I don't know if I can doo that with one single old skewl (9 (?) Pin?) timer or not, but I am sure that I could stack them somehow to make work.
But I haft'a think that there hast'a be something out there these days that can handle that in one fell swoop?

I found that this seems to be a popular unit, but I don't know enough to tell if it will work as desired?

Also - 480V if that's an issue...

https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/5abcf26b72e7b92a67f64b92c42cfc14.pdf

Any help from the sparky's here?

s-l500.png

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Can you use a standard on - off timer to turn a percentage timer on? The percentage timer will run for a set amount of time (percentage of an hour) as long as it has power. it can control a relay to the conveyor. Also the percentage timer could be wired in to sense spindle on or something so if machine is running the conveyor will turn on/off as you have it set. Not sure if a digital percentage timer will remember where it is like an older motor driven one, if that matters.

My load is only .8A @ 480VAC, so I would think that I could keep it pretty simple.

???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have 120V control V available, but I don't have 24v on this machine.

That could be a deal breaker....

Maybe someone could recommend a unit for my app?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Usually it takes two timers. One for time on and another for time off.

If you find a single timer that handles both on time and off time, it will have two programmable timer inputs, dials or dip switches.

Other solution is to use a small and really cheap plc which will likely be more expensive than the two cheap timers.

I'm not entirely sure I am envisioning the exact needs of your application, but there is a company called SSAC (they seem to have been a subsidiary of several other companies, including ABB, at various points in time, not sure where they fall right now) that has an almost bewilderingly versatile selection of solid state timers. Some of them have DIP switches that you can use to choose different functionalities and/ or time intervals. Years ago I helped someone replace someone endlessly problematic greenhouse mist cycle mechanical timers (which needed to be able to be set for different durations of both off and on) with a couple of SSACs and the SSACs were 100% reliable 24/7/365 for over a decade (in high humidity and extreme temperature swings) and were still working when the property was sold. I don't know if this is the most current literature but it may give you some ideas:
http://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Support/PDFs/40SS3_TIMER-SELECTION.pdf

You didn't give any time periods, but there are a plethora of choices depending on timing range, input voltage and output types. For a 480V controlled load, you'll need a interposing contactor or relay.

Known as Repeat Cycle or Recycle Timers, Can be had in 8 or 11 pin octal. From vendors from US to EU to Asia.

Check the specs carefully, there are a lot of flavors.

700-HV_RepeatCycleTimingRelay_front1-large_312w255h.jpg

Repeat Cycle Timing Relay, Bulletin 700-HV

OP45/46 Recycle Timer Relay

op45_46.gif

MACROMATIC Single Function Timing Relay, 120VAC'/'DC, 10A '@' 240V, 8 Pins, DPDT - 23NV19'|'TR-55122-14 - Grainger

MACROMATIC Multi-Function Timing Relay, 120VAC'/'DC, 10A '@' 240V, 8 Pins, SPDT - 6MPP3'|'TD-88162 - Grainger

6MPP3_AS02

Time-Delay Relays - Relays and Accessories - Grainger Industrial Supply

https://www.idec.com/language/english/catalog/Timers/TimerFamily.pdf

GT3W.jpg

SAF Ω

Back