What's new
What's new

Moving a radial drill

reggie_obe

Diamond
Looking at a radial drill, 9" column, 4' arm, 5hp motor, weight about 5800lbs. No operating forklift at the sellers location, ground level loading. Waiting on a rigging quote, but I've a local heavy recovery operator give me a quote, he'd be winching it onto his rollback. Besides lowering and locking the arm, what else should I do to ensure a successful load and unload?

I'd do more than lock the arm. I'd chain it to the base some way so it cannot swing. If that thing swings you are SOL.

The rollback might work. I would not use skates. Maybe some plastic sliders.

Put a big block of wood on the table or foot and bring the spindle down to rest on it. Then strap it down. You don’t want anything flopping around while it’s being moved. You will want to get the arm down as low as possible to get the center of gravity low. Also run the spindle out to the end of the arm so it balances better. Anything you can do to get the center of gravity as low and close to center as possible will make moving it safer and easier. And don’t cheap out on straps.

I use tee nuts and eyebolts in the base tee slots for an anchor point to tie the arm down. If it is not under power, take an assortment of cribbing and a saw so you can crib the head solid before securing the arm.

And the momentum of the arm swinging to 90 degrees will take it over. I didnt tip mine but.came close. I trusted the column clamp. Dont trust it. As others warn. Mine rolled along on four pipes real nice. Careful it will roll right off the pipes with a push. Control how far it can roll between moving the pipes forward.
Bolt it to the floor GOOD at home base. To me they are more awkward to move than a mill. A great machine to own.

Sorry if I'm over exuberant. On edit i see your not green in the bussiness. Mine scared the ship out of me.

Also run the spindle out to the end of the arm so it balances better..

NO.
The head (spindle) should be as close to the column as possible.

How I unloaded a +5000 lb radial.
Drill sat on the floor of the trailer strapped to four points with heavy duty straps - like for a car or truck.
Built the skid under the drill after arrival.
Pipes under the skid.
Jacked up the rear axel of the truck and trailer for an incline. Used large blocking 12 x 12 ect.
Hamilton Radial Drill 1.jpg
Come - a - long for control.
Hamilton Radial Drill 2.jpg
Inched it off, soft landing.
Hamilton Radial Drill 3.jpg
Hamilton Radial Drill 1904.jpg
Don't drive like a fool!
John

Reading and heeding all the advice written above. Thank you to all.
Confused by the conflicting advice on the head position: close to the head' close to the end of the arm? Close to the end for balance makes sense to me, but I'm not the rigger.
Arm will be a low as possible, locked and strapped in place

It is a momentum problem. Placing a mass far from the pivot point increases the risk of the arm swinging.
Such as going around curves or a tilt off center from crowned roads.

Back