What's new
What's new

Storing milling cutters

drcoelho

Stainless
I've aquired a large bunch of various cutters from a couple of machine shop shutdowns, I'm currently sorting through the collection (maybe a thousand or two). Quite a few are showing up in various containers with many cutters per container. My question is this: how concerned should one be to avoid cutter to cutter contact that will damage the edges during storage? Or said differently, what is best practices for storing various different kinds of cutters....OK to put similar types in a common container or do folks work at keeping each cutter separated to avoid dulling/damaging edges.

Huh? I'm not looking to buy more cutters, I'm merely asking whether storing a bunch of cutters in a box where they are jammed in there will seriously damage the cutting edges?

Huh? I'm not looking to buy more cutters, I'm merely asking whether storing a bunch of cutters in a box where they are jammed in there will seriously damage the cutting edges?

Eh? .......................When I click on the link in my post (#2) I get the telescopic plastic storage cases new cutters come in. ………..which is why I posted said link in the first place ;)

No I don't Clive, IIRC I tried a few years back and gave up in disgust, ………...it was like they don't want ordinary mortals to have them, ???????????????????????????????????a faint bell.s ringing, ……………...did I see some on ebay when I was looking for something else.

Tried that once as I had some off a precision shaft. Best to just say "it didn't go well". But I don't really get on with the net protector stuff anyway. Must be a knack to sliding off, and on again, that I've never acquired.

Limy

I know what you mean. Every few years I have a look for a source of cutter boxes. And bounce. Got pretty good at cutting the dip stuff so it can be slid off and back on again but proper boxes would be so much easier and last.

Clive

In the UK Machine DRO sell storage trays that are good for lining out drawers: pack of 12 black Storage Trays

6c454d4cae524a36c5280194c49d144b.jpg

Each scallop will take up to 10mm (3/8”) diameter without touching. Larger cutters can be alternated. Recommended.

Mal
AKA The Felsted Skiver

Cheers Mal

That is indeed a neat and effective system but it won't do what I want. Looked into it a while ago and decided it didn't fit with the way I like to organise things. Of course if it had been around when I started out mumble-mumble years ago .....

Clive

Clive - although you aren’t the OP you’ve made me curious - how do you like to organise your cutters?

Mal

I have also purchased used milling cutters. I use PVC pipe and end caps to form storage tubes. If you get flat end caps you can write descriptions of the contents on them. Glue one end cap for the bottom and the top is a friction fit.

I store those storage tubes in cardboard mini-bins and the mini-bins in cardboard bins. They go on a shelf near the mill.

No chipped edges - EVER!

I am looking for a way to store my assortment of taps. I want something that is:

Organized,

Has the presently used ones up front,

Has space for new stock that is not in use,

Takes as little space as possible,

Is easily expandable for new sizes to be inserted IN ORDER.

I have a new, empty tool chest. I may devote one drawer of it to taps and dies. Or two.

Tried that once as I had some off a precision shaft. Best to just say "it didn't go well". But I don't really get on with the net protector stuff anyway. Must be a knack to sliding off, and on again, that I've never acquired.

Limy

I know what you mean. Every few years I have a look for a source of cutter boxes. And bounce. Got pretty good at cutting the dip stuff so it can be slid off and back on again but proper boxes would be so much easier and last.

Clive

Hi Clive ...

I presume you've looked at MSC J&L?? They have a HUGE range of storage options

Just my two pennies worth

John:cheers:

Hi John

MSC don't do anything.

But another search found these folk Beckett Packaging Grip Paks - Cleartec Packaging who appear to do the right sort of thing. Albeit a bit big for smaller cutters.
No prices visible until you start ordering so dunno how viable they would be.

Time to make a list methinks.

Mal

My dictionary would disagree with me putting organising and milling cutters in the same sentence. Smaller cutters go in Racco type drawers with the dip coating carefully slit for removal and replacement. Larger ones mostly in own boxes or improvised "things", usually in the Bridgeport tools & accessories drawer stack. Like most evolved things it sorta works except when it doesn't. Most stuff I can find too. Usually.

I'd have to start over to use the MDRO system with new drawers et al. The disruption doesn't bear thinking about.

Ice cream bucket full of decent make but blunt end mills picked up when I rescued the P&W B from a scrapyard will need something to put them in once I've sharpened them.

Clive

Back