What's new
What's new

Getting rid of Ask,com

Diamond
Much of the time when I do a Google search it goes to Ask.com. Then I have to wade through pages of garbage to find a reference to the subject of the search. Is there a way to turn it off?

Bill

That and the "gut doctor begs you not to eat this vegetable".

My real Dr suggested exercise and eating more vegetables. (workout? Yeah right buddy, nothing that extreme!)

I mean who do I believe? The guy who is billing me (while "practicing") or some random clickbait from the net?

I use duck duck go as a search engine it is set as a default on my apple computer its under just click safari/prefernces/search then in the drop box select duck duck go. A windows machine will be different.

It doesn't track you and it works for me.

Much of the time when I do a Google search it goes to Ask.com. Then I have to wade through pages of garbage to find a reference to the subject of the search. Is there a way to turn it off?

Bill

I take it that you doo NOT mean that you are actually dooing a "Google" search, but rather a "search" in general, and your default setting is "ask"?
Otherwise I Shirley don't understand why Google would hand you off to Ask?
Maybe you pissed them off one too many times?

Right click your address bar at the top.
Bottom line on your drop down should list "Edit Search Engines".
(May only be if you are running Chrome?)

Be carefull not to get hasty and click "delete" on Google.
I have tried to delete Yahoo as it somehow automatically shifts to that routinely for me, and all too often I haft'a go in and change it back, but it won't delete.
BUT - Click the wrong line on the Google option and you hafta load Chrome all over aggin....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Bill

Who or what is ask.com? I use Google daily and never come across ask.com.

Sounds like you have been infected with malware. Ask.com appears to be a browser hijacker. How long has this been going on. Have you tried doing a system restore? Or just run a virus scan.

It would be great to eliminate Pinterest in its entirety as well.
A complete waste of time and resource.
While we're at it, bring back the old google with results which actually match the search perimeters and pictures big enough to examine closely and save to the HD.

Take a look at a piece of software called hyjackthis, it sounds like you’ve got some malware redirecting your google searches. Be careful what you remove with it, the software doesn’t distinguish between wanted and unwanted code.

This is one of the many subjects termite would have had the answers to. I almost miss him..

This is one of the many subjects termite would have had the answers to. I almost miss him..

Ass_u_ming that you mean Thermite, what happened to him?

His profile doesn't show banned, but it also doesn't list his last "log-in" date either.

???

His last post was Jan 3.

???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

His profile doesn't show banned, but it also doesn't list his last "log-in" date either.

???

You would have to ask him to get the truth. We all must come and go in our own time

A simple web search comes up with many solutions.

YouTube

The problem is that can even cause more trouble if you aren't tech savvy. You could end up downloading something harmful disguised as a fix. If the op came back and told us his operating system type and browser we could help him better.

Maybe just using a different alias for now?

But I don't notice his style recently....

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

???

His last post was Jan 3.

???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Some brain surgeon here banned him for a month. During that month he decided he had it with the whiners on this site and was done with it. Sure he could be a pita but overall it was a loss to the site. I don't stop by as often anymore myself. So many of the real sharp dudes have died or gone missing. I don't get much out of posts that go on and on about the "correct" color for some POS SB. Who cares? I sure don't

Bill

Probable browser hijack. If firefox go to "open menu" on the far upper right, then "help" and then "troubleshooting information."

Scroll down and you will see something like "important modified preferences" and you will probably find the URL of the hijack site
embedded in there in multiple places. Yep the URL is stored in the firefox data probably.

Rip that shit out of there if you find it.

OK, a little history. The computer is a Toshiba laptop running Vista. I hate the computer and Vista but the price was right. A friend who is heavily into ham radio using Morse code bought it to use in things like contest logging but found that it was not suited to the task so he replaced it and gave this one to me. It already had Vista loaded and a lot of other applications so I use it as supplied. Changing to another one is definitely on the to do list but right now I use it on the net and do everything else on another one to keep malware and government snoops out of my affairs.

The Ask invasion is not very old, just enough to make me want to get rid of it. Sometimes I can do a search with Google and it stays in Google, sometimes the first page comes up in Google and sometimes it goes straight to Ask. I checked out the various fixes and found Ask in the search list as Ox said. As soon as I am fairly sure I have the procedure right, I should be able to delete it.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

The Ask invasion is not very old, just enough to make me want to get rid of it.
A quick and dirty to avoid a domain you don't like is to add it to your hosts file.

Search for a file named "hosts" then edit it to add the miscreant something like this :

ask.com 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address. That's your own computer. Whatever is looking for 'ask' will get bounced back to your own computer then (normally) it quits when it can't access the miscreant site.

This also works for activate.adobe.com and a bunch of other behind-your-back phone home to mommy addresses. If you want to piss yourself off, install Wireshark. Then start blocking unwanted crap :D

Back