What's new
What's new

I need help locating a sandblasting cabinet

Boost

Plastic
Should i locate a sand blasting cabinet in the same room with a lathe and milling machine? The sandblasting cabinet does come with an air filter, I am just wondering if anyone has experience with this combination of machines in the same room.

I wouldnt. Even a brand new $5000 commercial one with super duper vacuums will leak sand and dust out while running and when you open the doors. I suppose if all you run is plastic media or walnut shells, and you clean up a lot, maybe. But otherwise, no.

Thanks for the advise, that's kind of what I was thinking but I guess I was holding out hope that it would not be a problem. I have the machines already, I am planning on buying the blasting cabinet, I had a shop layout in my head but I am going to have to rethink it.

Thanks for the advise, that's kind of what I was thinking but I guess I was holding out hope that it would not be a problem. I have the machines already, I am planning on buying the blasting cabinet, I had a shop layout in my head but I am going to have to rethink it.

You might sneak by, if you move the dust collector portion outside (all inside hose is suction only, so any leaks don't put dust in shop) and use an oversized dust collector.

i would look at a 2-5 hp woodshop dust collector with 4" piping.

Also, get in the habit of turning on the suction before doing anything with the cabinet, before you open the door to put something in, and leave it run after you remove the part when finished, and close the door again.

I wouldnt. Even a brand new $5000 commercial one with super duper vacuums will leak sand and dust out while running and when you open the doors. I suppose if all you run is plastic media or walnut shells, and you clean up a lot, maybe. But otherwise, no.

If you wait 15 minutes before opening the doors, problem solved, ha,ha.

I am looking at the Skat Blast from TP Tools 940-DLX Deluxe Abrasive Blast Cabinet. It comes with an air filter, I'm not sure what HP. I do not have experience with blasting cabinets, and how messy they are, so I really do appreciate the advice. I am not sure what I will do yet, but my shop is attached to an unheated barn. I could put the blast cabinet in the barn or at the very least I could put the filter over there.

No. The airborne contamination will be eating at your equipment. The best place to put a sand blaster is outside in a lean to to protect against the weather. That is more practical in the warmer climates and not so practical in cooler areas.

I did the same thing, my blast cabinet is completely outside of my shop (and away from all tooling, equipment). Blast media is a lot like pipe dope and anti-seize...no matter how careful you are, it still gets on everything.

Without noisy (very) reverse pulsing,any paper element filter will quickly block up with the use silica sand or garnet......if you are using an efficient pressure and flow ,these abrasive are reckoned to last three passes......in other words ,all the media turn to dust ,along with whatever you are blasting off....Glass beads are better ,but still break into dust..........The only media that doesnt degrade is grit,still dust from the work,but the grit lasts indefinitely.

I am looking at the Skat Blast from TP Tools 940-DLX Deluxe Abrasive Blast Cabinet. It comes with an air filter, I'm not sure what HP. I do not have experience with blasting cabinets, and how messy they are, so I really do appreciate the advice. I am not sure what I will do yet, but my shop is attached to an unheated barn. I could put the blast cabinet in the barn or at the very least I could put the filter over there.

BTW - I have exactly the same unit, but mine is older. If you do put it inside, make sure that you have a HEPA vacuum. Mine was not, and I upgraded to HEPA a few years ago. They sold me an upgrade kit.

Another reason to isolate them is if the media gets on the floor, if they are in an open area and people walk by that aren't aware of the hazards of glass beads or the like mixed with concrete you could have a flip and fall accident. They really need to either be in a corner or their own little room for safety reasons.

I have a scat blast cabinet and vacuum. Even if you keep the vacuum on while you open the door there is some spillage. You'll also have to service the dust collector and that can also get messy. I agree with the others that you want it in a separate space.

We have a Zero cabinet with lots of hours on it so the door seals are funky. Its located in the welding and rebabbiting room and we get glass beads on the floor and dust from the cabinet. Zero cabinets have bag house dust collectors and ours is located outside the building - we ran the 6" ducting from the cabinet thru the wall and taped the joints with foil tape and still get dust inside.

Back