What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Hydrashift lathe filter mesh size?

Elwood1968

Cast Iron
I'm cleaning up a Cincinnati Hydrashift 12-1/2 x 36 that is in need of some maintenance, and drained the hydraulic oil from the headstock, so as to clean the filter (a model 2A-17A, which is still made by General Filter!). The "filter" is really a strainer, since it doesn't have a replaceable element, just a mesh insert that is supposed to be cleaned and reused per the factory manual.

I'd like to replace the mesh element, but don't know which size to order, and the Cincinnati parts manual for this machine isn't any help - it just lists the entire filter assembly as one part number 608597.

General Filter shows five available mesh sizes: 30, 60, 100, 150, and 200, but there are no markings on the existing insert as to the mesh size. The headstock runs Mobil DTE Light oil (ISO viscosity 32), if that's any guide.

Last edited:
Did you ever find out an answer to your question? My lathe has a Baldwin BT839-10 attached to the "filter" housing, I'm not sure if that would cause a suction restriction. I would like to get my lathe shifting properly and with the correct oil while I have it all apart.

Thanks

No one has posted a reply, but I purchased a range of the strainer sizes from General Filter to experiment with. I believe that the strainer element that was in my Hydrashift when I bought it was the 100 mesh size (apx. 150 microns), and I'm running either the 150 or 200 mesh (I'll have to check) and Mobil DTE Light with no problems. Mesh sizing is inverse to micron filtering.

I also put a couple of fairly strong permanent magnets in the sumps of the headstock close to the outlets to pickup any ferrous fines, since even the smallest mesh size (200, which is about 75 microns) isn't much of a filter.

I don't recall where, but there was a thread on here about a guy with a Hydrashift who was having hydraulic problems because a filter had been substituted for the strainer, and it was too much restriction for the primary pump.

Thanks for the update, I will look for the General strainer and replace the Baldwin filter that is on there. Good idea putting the magnets in there, I have some rare earth magnets that should drop right in.

I saw that post as well, a few months ago but can't remember the outcome.

Thanks again for all the help. Looking forward to getting my machine back in service.

Cheers

Back