What's new
What's new

Regretting trying give mill a face lift .. ( bare metal finish) ??

JRivera

Aluminum
So I got a mill machine series 1 , works good but they put a really bad paint job on it . the thing was crap . Next to my Hardinge lathe it looks even worse . So I decided to paint it . Big mistake on my end . I’m sure we all been there . Looking at some thing and be like why I did I do this haha . So machine is almost to bear metal . My 1st mistake , I know . So looking at the machine the cast is good shape no real bad spots or cracks . No need for crazy filler . Has any one ever left a machine bare metal ?? And just clear coat the thing ?

candy black/red with ghost flames is tasteful. metallic glitter, gaudy.
If you have clean metal that has that cast grey sparkle why not hot wax it?

I've shown my Rivett before but here it is again.
Shellac on the headstock and tailstock. The rest I just wipe down with an oily rag once in a while.
It's not for everyone but I love it.
I'm working on a Kearney & Trecker 2HL vertical now that was painted by a previous owner and I'm going to give it the same treatment as the Rivett.
DSCN0841.jpgDSCN0842.jpgDSCN0845.jpg

Has any one ever left a machine bare metal ?? And just clear coat the thing ?

Too much like work!

Rust-Oleum "hammer" finish (in silver-grey, black, white, copperish, and other colours..) will single-coat -then protect very well- just about anything, metal, wood, plastic, a good deal of rust, and a bit of dirt included. Brush, spray, roller. It even looks fair-decent.

Too much like work!

Rust-Oleum "hammer" finish (in silver-grey, black, white, copperish, and other colours..) will single-coat -then protect very well- just about anything, metal, wood, plastic, a good deal of rust, and a bit of dirt included. Brush, spray, roller. It even looks fair-decent.

It looks like they restored your missing posts.

Those are some quality castings on that Rivett. I’d personally go for some paint , but that looks pretty nice, especially the apron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mikron machines up about the 70s were left unpainted. Story I heard is it was to show off how perfect their castings were. I've seen a fair few (and owned a A21 hobber for a while) and confirm they were awesome. I see nothing wrong with a naked machine.

My Bridgeport is painted like a Holstein cow only with blue and gray and black instead of black and white. It still mills things like any other mill.

My Bridgeport is painted like a Holstein cow only with blue and gray and black instead of black and white. It still mills things like any other mill.

Hmmmm... You may be on to sumthin', there, B.

We all know about "sneaking up" on a final pass to hit tough numbers...

Didn't realize there was an advantage to military-grade camouflage to make sneakier easier!

:)

Mikron machines up about the 70s were left unpainted. Story I heard is it was to show off how perfect their castings were. I've seen a fair few (and owned a A21 hobber for a while) and confirm they were awesome. I see nothing wrong with a naked machine.

I can confirm this as I have a few
But it was also because paint got eaten up by the oil contaminating it

peter

A good friend of mine rebuilt a DoAll surface grinder and used the black and dark gray hammer tone on it looks great. My HLV-H needs paint, I did find some gray under layer of years never cleaning it.

Shellac on the headstock and tailstock. The rest I just wipe down with an oily rag once in a while.
I'm working on a Kearney & Trecker 2HL vertical now that was painted by a previous owner and I'm going to give it the same treatment as the Rivett.
View attachment 258998View attachment 258999View attachment 259000

You do you! But.....

Seeing machines like that gives me the same vibes as hairless cats. Just ain't natural and gives me the creeps to think of touching them. It's a mind game, like someone coughing on you who "isn't contagious".

But if it makes chips....:)

View attachment 258998View attachment 258999View attachment 259000

Wow! I love that STEAM PUNK look of that Rivett. PPE for that has got to be big round goggles and leather welding gloves!

Back