What's new
What's new

A testament to the quality of HK barrels

g-coder05

Titanium
One of the Moderators on the HK forums just got this HK USC barrel for inspection. Looks quite obvious to me but glad I wasn't the guy stacking them up.

hk barrel.jpg

I saw that before a year or 2 back, the story was wild. I dont remember if it was a HK or not. but holecreek would know.

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing g-coder 05!

That amount of "Barrel Fouling", will be dificult to remove .................

D'oh!
Homer

I'm more curious to see how the bolt held up from all of that pressure. I saw a picture a few years ago of some one that tried to shoot .300 Blackout through a standard .223 barrel. It was amazing to see how long that bullet got squeezed to before it stopped mid barrel.

Somewhere I have a picture of a H&K .45ACP SMG barrel that I sectioned. The Police Department was training on range with that and .40S&W Glocks. A .40S&W round got mixed with the .45ACP as they where loading mags. They fired a short burst, got misfire, pulled bolt to rear, checked chamber and fired another burst. Bolt blew out rear of gun. Found a .40S&W in bore with a .45ACP bullet behind it.

I remember reading about a Mauser rifle proof testers deliberately blocked and fired. I don't remember the caliber but it was one of the 8mm/30'06 class. The action survived and the gas leaked out. It seems to me that much of the pressure is due to the gases being very hot and when they cool, even if none leaked out, the remaining pressure would not be that high. I would assume they will more or less follow Boyle's law, but I don't know the temperature of burning gunpowder.

Does anyone know more about the subject?

Bill

A short note. When I did a week long armorer's course at the HK factory in 2009, I was told the barrel alloy is M35. It starts in the annealed state is then drilled and hammered and the OD finished. They are then sent out for HT. After return, rifle barrels are inspected and straightened by eye and hand if necessary. The barrel straighteners are the highest paid workers in the factory.

Back