What's new
What's new

cnc machine for rent ? specifically for firearms part prototype

Deepsix++

Plastic
hello I'm a cnc programmer by day and I have a prototype fire arms part that isn't controlled ,basically its a butt stock for ar-15's and ar-10's . I can do all the programming and machine setup myself however my work is really PC especially the CEO . So the idea of using the machine for this off hours is not going to fly. Also I know there are maker spaces but those are all really anti gun too. If any one on here knows some one in the Orange county CA area that has a small shop or well equipped garage that might let me use there cnc mil I would be eternally grateful

thank you everyone .

I have 2 friends who are gunsmiths who will under no circumstances have anything to do with AR15 or similar work, or the people who want it done.

They don't like the typical AR15 user/customer, plus they don't want to find out it's an ATF sting.

Good luck nobody in their right mind would have anything to do with the project. It's just not worth it.

No suggestions or help for the OP but do have a comment on triumph's post. I believe your gunsmith friends are a couple of nitwits. What is the typical AR owner? Are they like a typical black person, a typical poor person or a typical rich person? Or maybe a typical immigrant or lesbian. I work part time in the LGS and can tell you there is no such thing as a typical AR owner. After all it is the most popular long gun in the US - every kind of person buys them. Your gunsmith friends are perhaps the kind that do not bother to know the laws and just avoid everything they are ignorant of rather then take the time to learn something. Perhaps they feel they are being PC which is so very "typical" of California ;-)

hello I'm a cnc programmer by day and I have a prototype fire arms part that isn't controlled ,basically its a butt stock for ar-15's and ar-10's . I can do all the programming and machine setup myself however my work is really PC especially the CEO . So the idea of using the machine for this off hours is not going to fly. Also I know there are maker spaces but those are all really anti gun too. If any one on here knows some one in the Orange county CA area that has a small shop or well equipped garage that might let me use there cnc mil I would be eternally grateful

thank you everyone .

you usually buy used machine or sign 5 year lease for a machine. sometimes after 5 years you can buy machine for $1., monthly payments can easily be over $300. per month but if you actually use machine you get your money back each month
like any lease you apply for it, they check your credit, etc. you sign lease and usually its spelled out how much it costs if you cancel early. not unusual to upfront pay over $1000. to start the lease which is nonrefundable
learning any machine takes time. 99.999% of people dont walk up to a machine with no prior training on that particular machine and start using it. it not unusual to take months to learn a particular machine.

No suggestions or help for the OP but do have a comment on triumph's post. I believe your gunsmith friends are a couple of nitwits. What is the typical AR owner? Are they like a typical black person, a typical poor person or a typical rich person? Or maybe a typical immigrant or lesbian. I work part time in the LGS and can tell you there is no such thing as a typical AR owner. After all it is the most popular long gun in the US - every kind of person buys them. Your gunsmith friends are perhaps the kind that do not bother to know the laws and just avoid everything they are ignorant of rather then take the time to learn something. Perhaps they feel they are being PC which is so very "typical" of California ;-)

well the 2 gunsmith friends have grown up around guns their whole lives, so were well versed and immersed in gun culture, the cardinal no1 rule being safety around guns, so you or your loved ones don't get hurt in gun related accidents. They had grown up being taught how to use guns by their fathers and grandfathers, so they had good grounding in how to be around guns safely.

I'm sure the majority of black/mexican/asian/poor/rich/gay/lesbian/democrat/republican/LGBTQ+/etc (did I miss anybody) are responsible AR15 owners. But as these gunsmiths observed a good proportion had no idea about gun safety, responsibility etc. They didn't want to be responsible for working on an AR15 that would end being involved in an accident or worse. The people who came to them often had no concept of the responsibilities of gun ownership. They just wanted an AR15 but not the responsibilty that goes with it.

The other reason they quit private work is the ATF. Getting caught in an ATF sting is not an unrealistic fear.

Talk to a few gunsmiths if you actually know any. Some may take the work, many will not.

I have 2 friends who are gunsmiths who will under no circumstances have anything to do with AR15 or similar work, or the people who want it done.

They don't like the typical AR15 user/customer, plus they don't want to find out it's an ATF sting.

Good luck nobody in their right mind would have anything to do with the project. It's just not worth it.

well the 2 gunsmith friends have grown up around guns their whole lives, so were well versed and immersed in gun culture, the cardinal no1 rule being safety around guns, so you or your loved ones don't get hurt in gun related accidents. They had grown up being taught how to use guns by their fathers and grandfathers, so they had good grounding in how to be around guns safely.

I'm sure the majority of black/mexican/asian/poor/rich/gay/lesbian/democrat/republican/LGBTQ+/etc (did I miss anybody) are responsible AR15 owners. But as these gunsmiths observed a good proportion had no idea about gun safety, responsibility etc. They didn't want to be responsible for working on an AR15 that would end being involved in an accident or worse. The people who came to them often had no concept of the responsibilities of gun ownership. They just wanted an AR15 but not the responsibilty that goes with it.

The other reason they quit private work is the ATF. Getting caught in an ATF sting is not an unrealistic fear.

Talk to a few gunsmiths if you actually know any. Some may take the work, many will not.

These are a couple of the most ignorant posts I've seen in a long time.

I'm just not quite sure how you could group all AR15 owners into a "more likely to end up being involved in an accident" than any type of gun owner.

Triumph, if your friends are worried about getting involved in an ATF sting, then they do not know the laws. Do I happen to know a gunsmith? I work in a shop that has an 07 manufacturers license so yes, I do know one, and I guess you could also say I am a gunsmith. The laws about what is allowed without a tax stamp are reasonably clear.

Well, I'm not a gunsmith but I do build my own bolt guns so I guess that says something.

I was taught by a very talented gunsmith. I spent a weekend at his shop absorbing everything he was able to show me. Operative word: "show". He would not allow me to run his machines. Reason being, if I crashed them, he didn't want to foot the bill and didn't trust that I would. All that to say, I can't imagine that someone will allow you into their shop to play on their expensive toys.

If you're making a part for a stock, or in fact a stock, it's just a machined part. It shouldn't require an 07 unless I'm completely mistaken. And, if it doesn't look like a firearm part, just join a makerspace and make your part. No one needs to know what it is. It's just a part. Don't bring anything serialized to the space. It's a really simple workaround.

If it is to be a part considered a firearm you'll want to do a lot more research before you proceed.

Good luck.

Back