What's new
What's new

Power Drawbar Series II Plans?

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Guys I am researching how to make a power drawbar for a BP mill,looking for suggestions on how to make one from scratch.Not looking for a kit 500 plus is beyond my financial means so wanting to make one.I have watch few Youtubes and they date back to 2014 so I'm sure progress has been made far as parts goes.So was wondering if anyone has made one and where you got the parts such as butterfly impack,air cylinder and I see that special fitting are needed to bleed off air and have check valve in there also.This is where google did not help me at all with locating those valves with check valve and adjustable bleeder.If possible please shead some light on this project,need all help I can get.

I picked up a 3/8” drive butterfly wrench on eBay. Mounted it on a crossbar with linear bearings running on two 12mm DIA hardened rods. I used a cranked lever to operate the wrench. The lever drops down on the right hand side of the head as far as possible without interfering with the other controls. I didn’t bother with cylinder actuation.

I have power draw bars on all of the mills in my shop and ready to take them off. There is nothing in the shop that takes more maintenance time than these and they do not get the collet as tight as a manual wrench. While it looks like a great idea, I have been less than happy with mine. The only determining factor in my purchasing them was how tall the employees were.

Back