What's new
What's new

OT: 2014-2018 GM trucks....rusty frames

david n

Diamond
I'm looking for a late model used truck.............I test drove a few GMC 1/2 ton crew cabs with under 50K miles on them............one of them was a '16 with 35K on it. The frame looked like it was bathed in acid and then a salt bath.............not one stitch of coating was still on the frame. The steel was severely pitted and flaking. Another few years and parts will be falling off. I've had trucks with 100K or even 200K that had better looking frames. The '17 I drove was much better, 22k on the clock, but some areas of the frame are well on their way. The problem seems to be wide spread, search the web for GM frame rust and it is quite prevalent. And not just up in the rust belt.........down south too.

The other day I was at a truck lot......used GMC, Silverado, F150, Ram, and Tundra all in a row. The GM trucks had less miles and were rusted to high heaven. The other 3 had much higher miles and looked almost pristine.

If I was the average truck buyer, I could care less...........most folks drive a car for only a few years and then get another new one. I buy and usually drive for 5-10+ years. I want something that will have the frame snap in half after it has 150k on it..............

Will this lead to a similar situation that Toyota went through?

Toyota will settle truck frame rust suit for up to $3.4 billion | Get the latest car news, car reviews, auto show updates, and racing news from Autoweek. News for the auto enthusiast.

Any PM members that have a 1/2 ton GM truck 2014-2018 peek underneath and let me know what your rig looks like...................maybe it's just me?

I have an acquaintance who recently told me he had the dealer recoat his chassis. One of his friends had them take the truck apart before doing the same. From what I understand both of them got the dealer to do it on their dime, which suggests they must have been good customers already. Or maybe the margin on trucks is even crazier than I thought. Both trucks are in Ohio.

I looked at a 2016 Ram that had 42K miles. The Dodge dealer had it on their lot. It was rode hard and put up wet...underneath, it looked like someone near the coast had lived down a long gravel driveway and every day the truck got a coating of dirt, dust, and salt. No wonder the dealer still had it for sale after 77 days. I bought a different truck, same year and miles, that you could eat off the frame.

So I think how the vehicle is used has a lot to do with it.

The manufacturing process Toyota used to make the frames was a large part of the issue. I worked in a Chevy shop that had a sisterToyota dealership with limited shop space. The frame jobs were done in our shop. The Toyota frames being replaced were made like a sandwich of many thin layers pressed into the shape needed. After the moisture and corrosion started they would swell and fan out starting at the edges and at the holes. GM uses cohesive steel that may rust and flake but heavily corroded are stronger than the Toyota frames. GM has a repair process to re-coat the frames also when a customer is concerned.
Joe

There is no escaping the fact that we have become a disposable society.
Cali actually has laws in effect (since 2016) that make it illegal for you to work on your own vehicle (seriously).

It seems like the manufacturers have figured out that closed sections rust out horribly. All the modern frames are a C type section with limited or no closed or boxed in areas. That's was also part of Toyota's issue on the Tundra.

So, even if the frame has rust, it's just on the surface. They will likely never rust through or become compromised in the truck normal life span.

I drive a 24 year old truck every day. It's seen 24 Northern Illinois winters. The body panels are badly rusted, but the frame is rock solid. It's a 3/4 ton truck though, so the frame is heavier than the 1/2 ton.

I've got an '06 F150 with 131K miles, not a spot of rust to be found anywhere.

It lives outside all the time, not a dry climate either. But they stopped using salt on the roads here a couple decades ago- that's the main thing that rusts out the underside.

Have ab '00 S10 with 203,000 on it. The frame is fine, just minor rust, but parts of the body are going now. The body steel is about as thick as a business card, though......

I know frames rust..............but when trucks with under 40K miles have heavy areas of rust and actual pitting and flaking, I'm a little concerned. As I mentioned, one rig's frame was rust from front to back, not one stitch of factory coating left............35k miles. I'm actually considering the "F" word............ugh................I just need to find a crew cab with a 6.5' box that I like.

I know frames rust..............but when trucks with under 40K miles have heavy areas of rust and actual pitting and flaking, I'm a little concerned. As I mentioned, one rig's frame was rust from front to back, not one stitch of factory coating left............35k miles. I'm actually considering the "F" word............ugh................I just need to find a crew cab with a 6.5' box that I like.

Plan a week off. Fly out here and buy something. Drive it home.
I have two '04 trucks, neither have one spec of rust. Anywhere.
This truck has 340k on the ticker, gets parked on dirt, and doesn't get any special treatment as far as cleaning goes. Frame might as well be new.

20190714_141714.jpg

I just got rid of my 2012 Tahoe for a blazer, the frame on the Tahoe had some rust spots on it but nothing overly concerning. I had a 04.5 2500hd and it had a decent frame too when I sold it in 2014, I did not it with por15 chassis Cote at one point, but there was nothing but some surface rust on it before I put it on. Just needed some scotchbrite in a few spots.

Little OT - How areFord's aluminum trucks holding up?

Title says it all. Ford made a BIG splash about aluminum body work(?), but have been very quite lately.

Tom

Plan a week off. Fly out here and buy something. Drive it home.
I have two '04 trucks, neither have one spec of rust. Anywhere.
This truck has 340k on the ticker, gets parked on dirt, and doesn't get any special treatment as far as cleaning goes. Frame might as well be new.

View attachment 260990

Yeah to what he said
whats rust? ;)
97 dodge and a 97 jeep tj 2004 hd2500 absolutely no rust

I only buy vehicles from Cali... From San Diego to San Fransico cars don't age. AZ aint too bad but its hell on interiors and paint. Drove an 86 4 Runner home this winter, frame is cleaner than a 2016 MN truck.

From what i have heard .....Gm just puts a wax like coating on the chassis no paint. I heard this from someone who converts the things over here for RHD they asked to have them painted but it appears to be cheaper for GM to wax so thats what they get.

Back