What's new
What's new

OT- Jeep Wrangler JL... suspension improvement suggestions ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Couple months ago had about 500 lbs of tooling in back of Wrangler JL (2018 four door) and was amazed at how much smoother the ride was on the interstate. Might there be a way via shock changes or air suspension to have similar effect without the added weight ? Ideally without compromising off road capability.

I think you were dealing with sprung/unsprung weight

the heavier a vehicle is in relation to its suspension components the smoother the ride. The inertia of the mass of the vehicle keeps it level while the suspension moves. The lighter a car the more difficult it is to make it ride well

If it has heavy springs one could soften the springs but then one could not carry the weight when needed

If it has heavy springs one could soften the springs but then one could not carry the weight when needed
Change to weaker springs plus (adjustable via integral air compressor) air suspension ? Land Rover offers air suspension as option but I don't know what the system comprises.

Your 500 pounds of tooling was acting as a damper. I have the same issue with my Chevy pick up. Empty it rides like a buckboard put a ton in it the smoothest thing to drive.

I used to be a service adviser at a GM dealer, and we would do the softer spring plus air ride approach on pick-ups relatively frequently. There are lots of kits available for the air ride, but we always used Air-Lift brand (no affiliation) as they are right down the road from the dealership. No experience with installing a kit on a Jeep, but it did the trick on the pick-ups. Hope this helps.

-Tony

Is this leaf or coil or torsion springs? reduce springs and add supplemental air suspension with on board compressor. The compressor control can be as simple as a toggle switch to add pressure as needed. Or add adjustable regulator or automatic level sensing switches with pneumatic valves for each bag.
I know for Lincolns with rear air suspensions they make new coil springs so you can throw out all the air suspennsion stuff. Bags last about ten years: controllers, pumps, valves, sensors?

I have an '03 Suburban 2500, which has leaf springs in the back. Normally rides quite well empty, and still nice when loaded down. It has a factory 'overload spring' arrangement. Multiple leaves of nominally 1/4" thick material, curved in the usual manner. Bottom leaf is not touching on either end, until there's some squat from high weight. Things stiffen up nicely at that point, because that leaf is better than 1/2" -- possibly 3/4" thick. Never gets harsh, however.

If you have leaf springs out back, this approach may be worth a look.

Same effect here: ford ranger pickup just drives a lot better with an entire southbend 10L in the back. My
usual approach is to put a few bags of sand in the bed, not 500 lbs of course but that really does help a bit.
Plus in the winter, you have that handy sand if you need it.....

My guess is if I just upgraded the rear (and front too) shocks it would take some of the motion out of the potion.

Don, which model ? Sport,Sahara,Rubicon ? for the rest of the forum members that are not familiar with the Wrangler JL it is coil sprung at all 4 corners with solid axles front and rear .Each model has slightly different ride characteristics as they are tuned for different customer tastes. Sahara would have the best ride stock . Air lift does have a air bag that fits the rear of the Wrangler and is good for 1000 lbs capacity the problem would be finding the softer then stock springs . Bill

Couple months ago had about 500 lbs of tooling in back of Wrangler JL (2018 four door) and was amazed at how much smoother the ride was on the interstate. Might there be a way via shock changes or air suspension to have similar effect without the added weight ? Ideally without compromising off road capability.

Three ways ways to go with Jeeps where you want paved-road comfort and still need off-road effectiveness:

- Run a different vehicle for softer ride.

- Pony-up for the costlier Land Rover.

- Switch to a Dodge, Ford, or GMC 4X4 with Bordello-class cab.

Three ways ways to go with Jeeps where you want paved-road comfort and still need off-road effectiveness:

- Run a different vehicle for softer ride.

- Pony-up for the costlier Land Rover.

- Switch to a Dodge, Ford, or GMC 4X4 with Bordello-class cab.

Reminds me of the alternative to the Porsche Cayenne. It was recommended to buy a Ford Mustang and Ford Explorer instead. That way you have better SUV and a better sports car. Plus you put the 10-20,000$ saved in the bank to pay for gas.
Bill D

Morning.

A fellow farmer here added air bladders on his 100 series Toyota Land Cruiser pick up with the straight 6 diesel motor. He used to transport 3t of submersible pumps and motors from SA to zim. All required was to pressure the air bladders. Old man emu suspension on the vehicle too.

He came to collect a 2.5m rotovator implement a couple years back. I swear the the rear of the bed was nearly dragging with the weight until he pumped up the bladders. I am guessing same principle as the air ride system on the transporter rigs? Cruiser carried the load no problem and load was sitting level.

As for Land Rovers....

6d636a6df910ec77b54f95f853d011f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the alternative to the Porsche Cayenne. It was recommended to buy a Ford Mustang and Ford Explorer instead. That way you have better SUV and a better sports car. Plus you put the 10-20,000$ saved in the bank to pay for gas.
Bill D

The Cayenne is THAT shabby as to value-for-money?

Whole lot of better choices in the world than either of those alternatives.

Some of them you don't even have to leave Ford's tent to pick, but "usually".

Back