What's new
What's new

Info about this Kurt vise

Archer322

Plastic
Looking at a purportedly Kurt vise and was wondering if anyone could help me with some info about it. Markings are D60-1 (maybe, the 0 is missing) MT6 BIW. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

kurt 2.jpg
kurt 3.jpg
kurt 1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to see one that also has the MT6 and BIW markings same as the other thread. If I were to get this what else should I look for?

Looking at a purportedly Kurt vise and was wondering if anyone could help me with some info about it. Markings are D60-1 (maybe, the 0 is missing) MT6 BIW. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

I think I had one of those - a Kurt Clone for $90 new. It was very crudely made, especially where it most mattered, the slant and ball mechanism that makes a Kurt a Kurt (until the patent expired).. I tried to clean it up, with some effect, but still was hopeless. Sold it and bought a Glacern vise, which works just fine.

For me, the giveaway is that the pads for the clamp bolts (to the table) appear to be as cast. This is one of the first things I fixed, because the as-cast surface sloped slightly, causing squirming when the vise was bolted down.

Are you looking to buy this for cheap, or are just curious about the make/model? It doesn't look like a Kurt to me, unless it pre-dates my machining experience (which it could).

YouTube

Here is a video showing disassembly of the moving jaw. I don't recall seeing the little o-ring grooves before, but this vise looks fairly new so maybe it is/was a newer design before they discontinued this style?

Are you looking to buy this for cheap, or are just curious about the make/model? It doesn't look like a Kurt to me, unless it pre-dates my machining experience (which it could).

YouTube

Here is a video showing disassembly of the moving jaw. I don't recall seeing the little o-ring grooves before, but this vise looks fairly new so maybe it is/was a newer design before they discontinued this style?

Unfortunately I picked it up already, I just needed a vise. Guy guaranteed it was a genuine Kurt, I mean look at the castings... Now I'm trying to justify my purchase. Has 2.860 stamped into the flat spot there, not sure what that means...

kurt4.jpg
kurt5.jpg

Unfortunately I picked it up already, I just needed a vise. Guy guaranteed it was a genuine Kurt, I mean look at the castings... Now I'm trying to justify my purchase.
Good lord, does the fucking thing work for your needs? If yes, who cares who made it? If no, it still doesn't matter who made it.

He's not angry. It's just a kinda dumb discussion in a place that is supposed to be about machining, not collecting. One or two "Is this really a Kurt ? Seems flaky to me ..." questions would have been enough ...

I'm sorry I forced you guys to read this and reply then ;)

I'm sorry I forced you guys to read this and reply then ;)
This is "supposed" to be a forum for professional machinists. Not collectors or hobbyists. In my opinion, if we allow this type of thread to be unchecked, the forum will morph in to something it was never meant to be.

Back