What's new
What's new

OT//paypal not an acceptable way to pay ?

jrmach

Titanium
Like title says
a lousy $8 purchase was denied by sellar thru paypal
WTF
So I went to another sellar,same product for $9
everything went off without a hitch,business as usual
The reason that was given was "it was not an acceptable way to pay"
WTF is going on in 1st sellars mind ?
Fck him

Paypal is a terrible company to accept payments through. Great to buy with.

Paypal will fuck you up if they feel like your sales are not 100% predictable and consistent. They like to freeze all your funds and sit on your money forever.

Before I switched all my stuff to credible outfits I had to do a few Paypal refunds because I doubted I would ever see the money. I'd rather keep the product when not getting payment is a pretty sure thing.

Paypal still owes me about $9k.

Doesn't ebay own Paypal, now?

I sold an item about 3 months ago on ebay. First time in a decade, at least.

Not a hitch doing it.. I figured they'd think I had been hacked or something... being dormant for so long.

Only thing was... it'd been so long since I'd been on the selling end, I didn't realize they want you to jump through hoops that they deem necessary, when they deem them necessary and in a certain order.

All of which I didn't know, couldn't understand and didn't bother to try and find out beforehand.

This item I sold... went for close to $400. I had zero dollars in it... free money to me.

It's impossible to talk to your customer without going through ebay. No trump/russia style backchannel stuff. I wasn't sure if you could only talk through "ebay messages", or through the email associated with your account, or what?

I wasn't trying to out maneuver ebay, but it was difficult for me to figure out how to send the guy a message. I stumbled around trying to tell the guy that I'd let him know how much it was going to be with the shipping added on... and ebay would send me nasty messages about "don't be trying to short us out of our money." I had to package it all up, take it to the post office and have it weighed and measured, then come back home and tell him the total.

Back when I was more active, I thought it'd be a good idea to include your backchannel contact info in your item photos.. but I read there during this fiasco that they have algorithms that will detect messages in photos and info you try to slip in there.

Their system wants you to have the grand total available during the auction, it seems like... even before the sale is final. I don't package stuff til it's sold, and this thing was a major pain to wrap.

It took me days.... no big hurry on either end. I told the customer it would take me a bit.

So, nearly a week after the auction ended, I had told him what he owed me and he paypalled me. All is well.

It wasn't long after I got his "paid" message that Paypal sends me one saying "Sorry, but ebay is asking us to put a hold on your funds because of some irregularities in your transaction", and "we'll release it when the item is delivered".

I wasn't hurting for the money... I had the tracking number and all.. so I waited for them to dislodge it from their ass when the item was delivered.

Assholes, anyway.

Well E-Bay best git shit going right with the sellers also.I don't know that end of it.But Amazon will knock them the fck out of the way

Paypal will fuck you up if they feel like your sales are not 100% predictable and consistent. They like to freeze all your funds and sit on your money forever.

Before I switched all my stuff to credible outfits I had to do a few Paypal refunds because I doubted I would ever see the money. I'd rather keep the product when not getting payment is a pretty sure thing.

I don't like to pry into personal business,but I am curious,How do you get $9000 behind? Was this a contested sale? Or was this many ,many sales and cofusing refunds? Edwin Dirnbeck

Doesn't ebay own Paypal, now?

I sold an item about 3 months ago on ebay. First time in a decade, at least.

Not a hitch doing it.. I figured they'd think I had been hacked or something... being dormant for so long.

Only thing was... it'd been so long since I'd been on the selling end, I didn't realize they want you to jump through hoops that they deem necessary, when they deem them necessary and in a certain order.

All of which I didn't know, couldn't understand and didn't bother to try and find out beforehand.

This item I sold... went for close to $400. I had zero dollars in it... free money to me.

It's impossible to talk to your customer without going through ebay. No trump/russia style backchannel stuff. I wasn't sure if you could only talk through "ebay messages", or through the email associated with your account, or what?

I wasn't trying to out maneuver ebay, but it was difficult for me to figure out how to send the guy a message. I stumbled around trying to tell the guy that I'd let him know how much it was going to be with the shipping added on... and ebay would send me nasty messages about "don't be trying to short us out of our money." I had to package it all up, take it to the post office and have it weighed and measured, then come back home and tell him the total.

Back when I was more active, I thought it'd be a good idea to include your backchannel contact info in your item photos.. but I read there during this fiasco that they have algorithms that will detect messages in photos and info you try to slip in there.

Their system wants you to have the grand total available during the auction, it seems like... even before the sale is final. I don't package stuff til it's sold, and this thing was a major pain to wrap.

It took me days.... no big hurry on either end. I told the customer it would take me a bit.

So, nearly a week after the auction ended, I had told him what he owed me and he paypalled me. All is well.

It wasn't long after I got his "paid" message that Paypal sends me one saying "Sorry, but ebay is asking us to put a hold on your funds because of some irregularities in your transaction", and "we'll release it when the item is delivered".

I wasn't hurting for the money... I had the tracking number and all.. so I waited for them to dislodge it from their ass when the item was delivered.

Assholes, anyway.

Yes you do need to include shipping charges in the auction, as a buyer, there is no way I would bid on something without shipping cost clearly defined. Weigh your item, estimate size box its going to take, add a few pounds for packaging, enter info in ad, check which shipping service you use, and ebay will calculate out the cost, every potential buyer will see the shipping cost to their door.

Your inactivity on ebay did throw up flags, that is the reason a hold was placed on funds, to make sure you delivered. Buyers email address and usually phone# are listed under transaction details. Yeah, the big brother routine is tiresome, f'em, I pay them enough every month they can get over it.

I don't like to pry into personal business,but I am curious,How do you get $9000 behind? Was this a contested sale? Or was this many ,many sales and cofusing refunds? Edwin Dirnbeck

Sell one thing for $10,500 and your net from that is $9000 after Ebay and Paypal take their flesh.

I won't go into details, but I made a mistake, made it right with customer as quickly as I could. Both I and the customer trying to get Paypal to get their head out of their ass and put the money where it belongs couldn't make it happen. We tried for years. Anytime it seemed like they were figuring it out that person would never call back and we'd start all over.

Have never used paypal and will not in future. If a person or company requires paypal and won't accept my money, they don't get my business. On the selling end, equally simple. No paypal.

L7

Last edited:
PayPal has a reputation for screwing sellers.

More than once, as a buyer, I tried to pay with PayPal and got a message that there was a problem, try again later. I tried a couple hours later and the payment went through. Next morning I check my email and discover that I had purchased TWO of the desired item! I contacted PayPal (easier said than done!) and was told that they didn't have any problems with their system, and I needed to contact the seller to straighten it out. The next time it happened, I contacted the seller and told him that PayPal was screwed up and that I would pay the next day.

PayPal has a reputation for screwing sellers.

More than once, as a buyer, I tried to pay with PayPal and got a message that there was a problem, try again later. I tried a couple hours later and the payment went through. Next morning I check my email and discover that I had purchased TWO of the desired item! I contacted PayPal (easier said than done!) and was told that they didn't have any problems with their system, and I needed to contact the seller to straighten it out. The next time it happened, I contacted the seller and told him that PayPal was screwed up and that I would pay the next day.

Yeah,,I have playing that scene in my head 2X,,,hope the heck not

I’m no PayPal lover. However, a clarifying point for those reading these posts — if one pays another person via PayPal outside of EBay and using ‘PayPal to a friend’, these kind of things don’t apply. I’ve had my money tied up with PayPal/EBay for over a month after an item is sold, delivered and positive feedback from both the buyer and seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a coworker who recently sold his boat to an older couple who aren't necessarily tech savvy.

They came and did a sea trial on a Friday, they came back Saturday, looked at it again, and made an offer. He accepted the offer.

He was communicating with the husband, they were figuring out if they'd meet to exchange a cashier's check, or do a wire transfer, or what... From the background, the wife yells "Oh, honey, I already sent the money with PayPal!"

My friend freaks out... It's a large sum of money ($26K or so)... It doesn't show in his paypal account for the first day (Monday)... They've already made arrangements for a boat hauler to pick the boat up on Wednesday... Tuesday rolls around, and PayPal tells him he has a pending transaction, but no money.... Wednesday rolls around, still no funds in his account, but the hauler is there to pick up his boat... He reluctantly lets them take it...

Thursday, Paypal says the money is in his account, but on hold for security reasons (presumably because it's a large amount)... Friday, Paypal says he can move the money to his bank account... He does... It disappears from his Paypal account, but doesn't show up in his bank account... Several phone calls and they tell him it's pending, not to worry...

Monday... A week later, the money finally shows up in his bank account and he starts breathing again....

Moral of the story: Paypal kinda sucks.

^^^ not sure what kind of idiot would send almost $30k to someone without a pretty detailed conversation, how would you even get the PayPal email address? Myself and most others I know use a separate email for PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^ not sure what kind of idiot would send almost $30k to someone without a pretty detailed conversation, how would you even get the PayPal email address? Myself and most others I know use a separate email for PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

She was crazy. He asked how she found him on paypal (because he didn't provide his email) and she said "Oh, I searched your name, and I verified it was you because it had your cell phone number listed"....

Thankfully she got it right... But seriously... He was pretty mad at her, and even her husband said "I'm sorry... She can be kind of an idiot sometimes".

Have never used paypal and will not in future. If a person or company requires paypal and won't accept my money, they don't get my business. On the selling end, equally simple. No paypal.

L7
Yes ,Its a free country. I am happy using paypal.I buy a lot of specialty items from companies that I probably will NEVER do business with again. It seems that every company wants to do FUTURE BUISNESS WITH ME and be friends.All I want is my product right now with one or two clicks. Paypall does this for me. Edwin Dirnbeck

Edwin, my credit card, either on line or by phone does the same for me. Simple. Glad paypal works for you, just seems like an uneeded complication to me. Agree that companies that try to be buddy buddy are a pain. Just send me what I paid for and be done with it.

(Seems I'm sounding more and more like my Dad...)

L7

Paypal got me for a little over 200 once. Chump change I know.
Someone I had never heard of "sold" something to me and took the money out of my account, then cancelled the sale or something. Money did not come back to my account. Paypal kept telling me to be patient. A few months of "patient" and I just cancelled my account.
F Paypal.

I have had no issues with PayPal. I also never use it... unless you count paying as 'guest' via credit card using it. Do this about once a year, but don't have (or need) an account. My business does accept credit cards, (and checks and cash, too.)

Back