What's new
What's new

HLV-H Spindle Motor: Re-installation and Greasing

LowEnergyParticle

Cast Iron
I'm re-installing the GE spindle motor back into my Hardinge HLV-H and I'd like advice on installation and greasing. The motor, motor mounting plate, and solenoid brake are all out of the machine. The motor bearings have been cleaned, and packed with Mobil Polyrex electric motor bearing grease. The brake has been cleaned and the cork replaced. All the motor mount rubber bushings have been replaced. I installed a lifting eye on top of the motor. Questions:

1. There are 3 grease channels per bearing, radially 120 degrees apart. Should I fill the top grease port until it runs out the 2 bottom ports? Neither bearing has a shield or seal on the end bell side.
  2. Is it easier to mount the motor and brake onto the plate and install as an assembly, or install everything separately?
  3. There are 2 height-adjustable eyebolt mounts one one side of the motor, and a single adjustor bolt on the other side. What is the sequence for leveling the motor and tensioning the belt?
  4. Does anyone have good experience with putting these things in without doing more damage to your back? It's 4 inches above the floor, the rear access panel doesn't give complete access to the workspace, and that motor is the heaviest damn 1HP motor I've ever seen:nopity:It's a beautiful thing, but I'll be glad to see it safely back in its home!

Thanks very much!
Dave

Questions:

1. There are 3 grease channels per bearing, radially 120 degrees apart. Should I fill the top grease port until it runs out the 2 bottom ports? Neither bearing has a shield or seal on the end bell side.
  2. Is it easier to mount the motor and brake onto the plate and install as an assembly, or install everything separately?
  3. There are 2 height-adjustable eyebolt mounts one one side of the motor, and a single adjustor bolt on the other side. What is the sequence for leveling the motor and tensioning the belt?
  4. Does anyone have good experience with putting these things in without doing more damage to your back? It's 4 inches above the floor, the rear access panel doesn't give complete access to the workspace, and that motor is the heaviest damn 1HP motor I've ever seen:nopity:It's a beautiful thing, but I'll be glad to see it safely back in its home!

Thanks very much!
Dave

1. A textbook answer is that a measurable quantity of grease should fill the bearing. Using just a grease port is not accurate. And it does not allow all the older grease to be expelled.

2. Install separately.

3. Can you take a picture? I just mounted the motor flat on the mounting plate. The adjustment allen screw on the front part of the plate increases/decrease tension on the belt. I use a few sticks of wood to wedge/raise the plate while turning the adjustment allen screw.

4. Done it a few times. It is a heavy motor.

Rons,

Thank you very much for you quick and complete reply! I have followed your suggestions, the motor is running quietly, and I have hopes of some years going by before I need to pull it again. At that point, hopefully we'll all have robotic shop arms that can pull out these heavy bits for us without complaint!

Thank you again for the assist.
Dave

I did make four square rubber feet for the motor. The rubber was 1/4 inch. Didn't make a difference.

It is the quietest motor I have seen. Anyway I wanted to mention that I removed the stock bearings and installed rubber sealed bearings. Lubed for life. Or one day I can pop one of the rubber seals and lube the bearings through the motor case fittings. With seals on both sides it prevents contamination from entering the races.

On a little different point. Look at this link, second picture. The round aluminium extrusions are perfect for screwing on nuts for fine tune balancing. I recently did this with a 5 HP motor and it became much quieter and with almost no vibration. Before there was enough vibration that the motor would travel slightly on a smooth piece of wood.

AC 3ph 3hp motor rotor shaft replacement

Last edited:
Like Rons, I just replaced the motor bearings. They are cheap enough and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pop for the robotic arm to get it out the next time. Enjoy!

Back