What's new
What's new

Looking for a supplier for these style tool holders

rickcact

Aluminum
The guy that runs our Bostomatic 5 axis is looking for a suppier fo these tool holders in shrink fit style. I think the tool holder style is called ISO20, but I cannot confirm that. Any help with the type of holder or a supplier will be greatly appreciated TOOL HOLDER.jpg

You don't know what type of holder your own machine takes?
:eek:

Well to be fair... we have guys setting up and running machines that can't read Gcode (not like read as in follow along mentally for shapes), like not read / not understand the difference between a G81 and G82, or what G41 is... :(

Bostomatic is IIRC, defunct and the machines are an odd duck.

Great for what they were designed to doo, but never one to stay on the paaath.

Well to be fair... we have guys setting up and running machines that can't read Gcode (not like read as in follow along mentally for shapes), like not read / not understand the difference between a G81 and G82, or what G41 is... :(

I once interviewed a guy for a couple openings where we would have accepted anyone from an operator to a top class CNC Lathe set-up guy. The guy claimed to have set-up skills including the ability to edit programs. I tested applicants pretty thoroughly back in the day so I handed him a part, a print, and a program copy and asked him to highlight with a provided yellow marker the coding that made the features I asked about. He looked totally confused and said the programs he worked with didn't have X,Y,Z on them. Giving him the benefit of the doubt I asked if the programmer where he worked used a lot of incremental value codes. He looked at me with more confusion. Being the non PC person I was decades ago I told him to get his lying ass out of my office as I threw his resume in the trash.

As for the OP, a picture is not worth a thousand words here. You need to list the dimensions.

I once interviewed a guy for a couple openings where we would have accepted anyone from an operator to a top class CNC Lathe set-up guy. The guy claimed to have set-up skills including the ability to edit programs. I tested applicants pretty thoroughly back in the day so I handed him a part, a print, and a program copy and asked him to highlight with a provided yellow marker the coding that made the features I asked about. He looked totally confused and said the programs he worked with didn't have X,Y,Z on them. Giving him the benefit of the doubt I asked if the programmer where he worked used a lot of incremental value codes. He looked at me with more confusion. Being the non PC person I was decades ago I told him to get his lying ass out of my office as I threw his resume in the trash.

I interview guys like that all the time. Running machines for 20 years and don't know any G or M codes. I've even told some of them that you've been doing this for 20 years and didn't even learn them by accident? Sorry don't need you.

As for the OP, a picture is not worth a thousand words here. You need to list the dimensions.

I interview guys like that all the time. Running machines for 20 years and don't know any G or M codes. I've even told some of them that you've been doing this for 20 years and didn't even learn them by accident? Sorry don't need you.

These are funny stories indeed, but hopefully you cut some slack where needed... I think I would do respectable on a Fanuc Gcode 'test', but I am sure I wouldn't ace it as I have been a "cam guy" for years now...

These are funny stories indeed, but hopefully you cut some slack where needed... I think I would do respectable on a Fanuc Gcode 'test', but I am sure I wouldn't ace it as I have been a "cam guy" for years now...

Same story - I almost never edit at the machine, it's back to the CAM and edit the file, repost. Faster than resetting the machine after I've broken a tool or fat-fingered something...

Same here, it is against the "rules" to edit anything at the machine in my shop... I don't even care if it is adding a M08 because the monkey running the CAM system forgot. Everything is done in CAM and reposted... that way when it repeats, we don't do the same mistake twice (and nobody accidentally types in Z-100.00 instead of M08).

That being said, there are a couple of companies making machines with ISO20 spindle tapers (ie the Haas Office Mill); so I assume that the toolholders are available somewhere. I would do a Google search, but I'm assuming the OP has already done so.

You don't know what type of holder your own machine takes?
:eek:

This is not my machine. I run Mikrons. This particular machine is in the electrode making department. I was asked to try and find what was out there for holders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking at it now and will show the guy that runs the machine. I still need to confirm that this is a ISO 20 spindle though. I'll grab some dimensions off of the holder today and post them.

The Haas Office machines are ISO 20, Techniks make a good holder for them. Pull studs I have no idea, but ISO 20 Haas Office mills do use them.

About 20 years Ago I took a college class on robot programming, plc programming, Cnc programming and image processing. What blew me away was that half the class was 'machinists' from GM that were totally lost on cnc programming! Standing in front of a CNC day after with G-code scrolling by and you absorbed NOTHING?

Back