What's new
What's new

Kinetic, Inc grinding job

dcsipo

Diamond
This is from Keith Rucker, The reason I am posting it because it is an excellent illustration when you decide to send out something for machining/grinding. Thanks for Keith documenting this.

dee
;-D

Pretty amazing that two hobby guys are restoring good sized planers! Not sure how Keith has the time to have a full time job and do all the shop work/videos he does.

Hope Lance B also puts videos up of his planer restoring work.

L7

Is an 8’ bed that’s relatively thin(compared to its length) rigid enough where .0015 over 8’ matters?
Seems like you could flake it for oil retention if needed and be good to go??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last time I was down there Keith has a chain hoist hung from one of his 10 x 10 beams where he lifted things off trailers. He also can borrow a fork lift and he said he was building a over head crane in his sweet shop. Here is a You Tube showing his shop YouTube

How's he going to lift the bed and get prints? That table's got to be around a ton, does he have a crane or just some strong friends?

Keith has an A-Frame, he did mention that flipping the table over for scraping several times will be a bit of a pain...... I am sure he will figure out a good system.

Yeah, that's not a 612 is it? I wonder how many hundreds of gallons off coolant it uses, or does it pull from a central source? Maybe Cash will show up with some more info.

We have 3 central systems to feed different areas of the shop. My machine runs off of a 4000 gal system, this as well feeds our 84" Blanchard, 54" Mattiosn rotary, 2 small Mattison surface grinders and several small grinders. We use Oberlin pressure filters. This particular system is ready for a dump and recharge, this coolant has been in for about 2 years.

Keith has an A-Frame, he did mention that flipping the table over for scraping several times will be a bit of a pain...... I am sure he will figure out a good system.

He is a clever fellah. But man I was amazed at the attention to detail you put in that old piece cast iron. If I ever have something that needs grinding longer than 18", it is heading your way.

dee
;-D

Cash - do you use conventional coolants (at least conventional for grinding) in a system like that? Or does such a system require coolant that is "special" is some way?

Cash what wheel is a common wheel for such grinding?

for this job we already had a wheel that had a 45 deg started on it, so I used this wheel. All the markings were off from side dressing but I am pretty sure it is a ceramic wheel, probably 60 grit and around a G hardness.

What does one wheel for that grinder cost?

Fantastic work... I am always on the up and up following you on Instagram. Cool stuff.

My cost for wheels is pretty good as I get special pricing due to the quantity I buy. I think a normal price from suppliers would be around $1,200 to $1,500 per wheel.

Thanks for keeping up on IG.

Back