What's new
What's new

source & type for flat belt for multi spindle drill

tomjelly

Stainless
I've got a multi spindle drill for drilling shelf adjustment pin holes and I need a 63" x approx 1-1/4" wide, very flexible, but low stretch belt. I see a lot of conveyor type belts which would be too stiff but without a sample to put my hands on I'm not sure what I need. I would think something with urethane over a fabric core would work but it needs to be around 1/16" thick or a little thicker but less than 1/8" anyone know a good source? rollers are about 1-1/2" dia
IMG_20190827_152638.jpg

That was actually the first place I looked. The fabric reinforced rubber ones sound awfully thin at .03", I'd love to use the non reinforced orange weldable urethane but I don't know if they would resist stretching enough to put enough tension on the belt to avoid slipping. Any thoughts there? I've never used this machine and am not sure how tight the belt will need to be.

I have used the made to order flat belts from McMaster-Carr on my wood shapers and have never had a problem. I believe they are the .03 thick and am using 1 1/2" wide on 3 HP motors.

that would be too thick unless I could remove the ribs, but if there is a ribless version that would be great. Is there?

I can get a 630-k-8 (63" x 1-1/8) automotive 8 rib serpentine belt for $14.50 delivered, which is $50+ less than the thin ones from mcmaster. I have a sanding drum that will work in a drill press and can clamp a platen in the vise, maybe I'll experiment with some belt laying around here unless there is a better way. The machine will accommodate an endless belt, I just need to remove all the belt ribs

TomJelly, sir
Try "Baltimore Belting" they will hook you up with what ever your little heart desires.
Hope this helps ya out
Stay safe
Calvin B

That was actually the first place I looked. The fabric reinforced rubber ones sound awfully thin at .03", I'd love to use the non reinforced orange weldable urethane but I don't know if they would resist stretching enough to put enough tension on the belt to avoid slipping. Any thoughts there? I've never used this machine and am not sure how tight the belt will need to be.

Those are the belts to use. They are skinny, but stronger than heck..you will not be able to break them with any normal tensioning system.

Stuart

PS..After actually looking at the picture you posted of the machine it would appear to me there is going to have to be some serious belt tension as the intermediate pulley have less than 1/2 of their diameter in contact with the belt. Having said that, the 'made to order' .030 belts offered by McMaster would be up for the chore.

Last edited:
Automotive serpentine belt is what i would try. They like lots of tension, and dont stretch much. Cheap and as close as the nearest autozone. Make a little jig with a utility knife blade to cut off the ribs.

I got a .03" mcmaster belt and its strong enough but surface is slick nylon on both sides so it just slips, even under great tension. I tried belt dressing and that increased the friction but not enough, a waste of $60, I may try the automotive belt next

Back